LG V30
Oct 18, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #451 of 6,140
Holy mother Theresa this phone sounds good. I had sort of sworn off cell phone audio after the stupid G6 and only some versions getting the good DAC, but I'm glad I bought this phone (V30+ from Sprint). It sounds freakin' phenomenal. I usually have either my XDP-300R or my Astell AK70, both fo which I use for 2.5mm TRRS balanced, but dang this phone impressed me right out of the box with single-ended 3.5mm use. I think I need to swap a few cables back to 3.5mm and enjoy my top IEMs with this thing. Currently loving the Rhapsodio RDB mk4 hybrid with it and it gets SERIOUSLY loud. This feels more powerful than the V20 did. I'm at volume level 35 with no "aux tricks" and it's perfect.

More to come later.

-Collin-
Do you own the v20? You notice a big sound difference from v20? If so what?

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #452 of 6,140
Holy mother Theresa this phone sounds good.

Ditto that! I was stunned at how good it sounds. I need to do some more detailed comparisons against my Hugo 2, FiiO X7 (1st gen) and QP1R, but either way I suspect they won't be getting quite as much playing time down the road. Not only is its SQ outstanding, but it really packs a punch - it drives even my HD800S to pretty decent volumes. No issues at all driving Utopias or any of my IEMs.

Jeez Apple - this is what you should have been producing! Nice job LG :)

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #453 of 6,140
Do you own the v20? You notice a big sound difference from v20? If so what?

I did own the V20 when it was released, but sold it because it was just too big for me to use comfortable. So unfortunately, I'm only able to offer an opinion based on memory and I know that isn't worth much. I do feel the V30 has a more powerful amp. I remember having to turn my V20 up to about 50 on the volume scale without using external aux mode or high-impedance mode and I do not have to do that with the V30.

Ditto that! I was stunned at how good it sounds. I need to do some more detailed comparisons against my Hugo 2, FiiO X7 (1st gen) and QP1R, but either way I suspect they won't be getting quite as much playing time down the road. Not only is its SQ outstanding, but it really packs a punch - it drives even my HD800S to pretty decent volumes. No issues at all driving Utopias or any of my IEMs.

Jeez Apple - this is what you should have been producing! Nice job LG :)

Totally agree. It's kind of sad, though. This may be the last great audio-centric cell phone given that the headphone jack is dead (it's not dead to me!).

Just tried my Campfire Vegas in the phone by plugging in the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter first, triggering aux mode, then plugging in the IEMs and I am in heaven. 30 on the volume scale with the Vegas sounds incredible.

-Collin-

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #458 of 6,140
Right now there is a deal for LG V30 from TMobile (deal started from Oct 13)

Buy one LG V30 for existing line, and open a new line, you also get:
1) Free LG G6 (or Free LG V20, or $500 discount for another LG V30) ~ $500 value
2) Free LG G Pad X2 8.0 PLUS tablet ~ $250 value
3) Free Google Daydream VR headset ~$70 value

Total = $820 value back, for buying a $800 phone :)

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #459 of 6,140
I've not rooted any Android devices for a couple of years now. What are we missing these days by not having root?

I still prefer access to my system folders, adblocking, Xposed GUI tweaks, greenify, sound mods etc., Just a personal preference, it's not really needed per say

1) Free LG G6 (or Free LG V20, or $500 discount for another LG V30) ~ $500 value

Whoa that is a killer deal. I have a G6 and it too is a great device. Just note that the US G6, released for the US market , does NOT have the quad DAC/amp, (DUMB decision LG).

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #461 of 6,140

Nothing on Sprint

Sprint buy 1 v30+ get 1 free. Cant beat with baseball bat.

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #462 of 6,140
I still prefer access to my system folders, adblocking, Xposed GUI tweaks, greenify, sound mods etc., Just a personal preference, it's not really needed per say

Whoa that is a killer deal. I have a G6 and it too is a great device. Just note that the US G6, released for the US market , does NOT have the quad DAC/amp, (DUMB decision LG).
You have viper4android?

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #463 of 6,140
You have viper4android?

Yes. I use the Arise sound mod package , that has it all contained on my G6 (US unlocked US997)

you usually can root with tmobile

Not anymore. The US tmobile G6, can't be rooted (all the fastboot commands were disabled from TMO), and the LG V30 is the same way. The older V20 has also been patched with the later firmwares, so it, too CANT be rooted

Blame it on Qualcomm and all US based snapdragon devices. So if you want root, gotta wait for the US US998 V30 (NOT the us cellular US998). Confusing, yep....but just the way it goes.

Also no carrier deals unfortunately

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #464 of 6,140
How's the battery life with the ESS DAC turned on? Other than bootloop my main complaint about my V10 is the battery life. Atrocious.

waaaaay better. the last time i charged my phone was last night around 11pm, it is now 4pm and i have 58% battery. this is with some surfing, 4-5hrs of music with ess, and some apps running in the background, no messaging apps yet

the thing with the dac, is not if the dac is running but what types of file your running through it. i'm gonna test again tonight while running dsd and 192 files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back