LG V30
Sep 23, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #4,081 of 6,140
The V40 is now about 10 days away from unveiling on October 3...anybody have any info about a possible upgrade in the all-important DAC to make it work moving on from the V30? Maybe they actually realized we aren't stupid and finally let us choose sensitivity ourselves?

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #4,083 of 6,140
The V40 is now about 10 days away from unveiling on October 3...anybody have any info about a possible upgrade in the all-important DAC to make it work moving on from the V30? Maybe they actually realized we aren't stupid and finally let us choose sensitivity ourselves?

Yeah that info would be nice to know too! I hope the additional camera lenses also ACTUALLY equate to better pictures (AND software!). lol

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #4,085 of 6,140
Endgame is only temporarily. IE800 is not a step up compared to IT04, it's more the opposite. But you buy what you want.

Take your time and read the different threads. Many very good iems at the moment.

Not always. I still find my SE846's fantastic and have no intention of replacing. The V30+ feeds them beautifully.

Sep 26, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #4,086 of 6,140
I'm not interested. Really don't like notched phones, iphone-replicas. Staying with V30 and iBasso 150.

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #4,089 of 6,140
has anyone tried to pair the RHA CL1 to LG v30? - how is it guys?
One word: treblefest.

When an RHA rep demoed the CL1 for me out of their Dacamp, he straight away turned the treble down 2 out of 3 possible notches.
The V30 is tuned for clarity, it will not attenuate the CL1’s peakiness in the slightest. For trebleheads that could be an ideal pairing. For the rest of us a bit of earbleeding will be involved but the results could really be interesting. The CL1 are great at what they do, I actually considered that exact set-up a while ago.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #4,090 of 6,140
Anybody else like the high impedance mode more than the aux? I feel like aux sux all life out, sounds like very damped and dry. High impedance in comparison has the great openness in the critical midrange, sounds lively and airy and even has more punch thou not the strong part of the V30.

I can easily pick either mode with the line volume control of the Logitech G433s I use. I always come back to the high impedance thou, but I read somebody here using the aux.

Also, for me at least high impedance gives more volume with similar volume setting on phone. Maybe aux has higher output impedance, since it's designed for higher input impedances of line devices?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #4,091 of 6,140
Anybody else like the high impedance mode more than the aux? I feel like aux sux all life out, sounds like very damped and dry. High impedance in comparison has the great openness in the critical midrange, sounds lively and airy and even has more punch thou not the strong part of the V30.

I can easily pick either mode with the line volume control of the Logitech G433s I use. I always come back to the high impedance thou, but I read somebody here using the aux.

Also, for me at least high impedance gives more volume with similar volume setting on phone. Maybe aux has higher output impedance, since it's designed for higher input impedances of line devices?

I believe you are actually changing the signature of your set by varying the impedance of your cable which counts towards source impedance.
You're just impedance missmatching and like it better that way.

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #4,092 of 6,140
I believe you are actually changing the signature of your set by varying the impedance of your cable which counts towards source impedance.
You're just impedance missmatching and like it better that way.
I lower the volume on cable for just before high impedance is active, then max the line cable volume again so the impedance of the cable is back to zero. I have an app that shows which mode on LG is active.

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #4,093 of 6,140
I lower the volume on cable for just before high impedance is active, then max the line cable volume again so the impedance of the cable is back to zero. I have an app that shows which mode on LG is active.

Got it.

Do you know the lowest impedance of your cable (at max vol)?
It could be significant and doing unpredictable things at different gains.
That's my opinion.
I've read claims that normal mode may be worst than aux or him quality wise (some ppl said that hifi dac could potentially be bypassed in normal gain) but don't remember seeing claims that him is better than aux other than the additional power.

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #4,094 of 6,140
Got it.

That's my opinion.
I've read claims that normal mode may be worst than aux or him quality wise (some ppl said that hifi dac could potentially be bypassed in normal gain) but don't remember seeing claims that him is better than aux other than the additional power.
Well G433s I think are 32ohms or therearounds, and cable at full volume still activates normal mode. I could check the DC resistance of the cable when I got time. Thou, gotta remember that the HPs are designed to be used with this cable. Sound signature is the best with cable volume maxed IMO.

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #4,095 of 6,140
Got it.

That's my opinion.

I believe what was said specifically was that in Normal More, only ONE of the four "Quad DACs" are being utilized. I don't know for sure if it's true or not. I remember researching it a while ago, but don't think I ever found anything conclusive to back it up. If you do though, please let me know.

Yeah I don't get all this talk about differences in quality or sound signature either. It's just a volume change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back