LG V30
Aug 19, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #3,826 of 6,140
^
There's also a dedicated UAPP thread here in the forum and Dave is very active in it.

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #3,833 of 6,140
Can V30 drive Hifiman HE-400i any good?

Given the impedance and sensitivity data Hifiman lists for the HE-400i (below), I'm going to say DEFINITELY YES! If in High Impedance Mode the V30 can still successfully drive my 250-ohm Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro, then I have no reason to believe that at least in Aux mode that the V30 can't drive the HE-400i just as well. Probably even in Normal Device mode too, but I would use the trick to force the V30 into Aux mode to get you the best results. If you don't know the trick, let me know. VERY easy to implement. VERY.

Sensitivity: 93dB
Impedance: 35 Ohms

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #3,834 of 6,140

Depends on what you classify as 'drive' and how good your hearing is. IMHO (others will disagree) the V30 simply cannot handle planars very well--as evidenced by the relatively low volume of my HE-4XX, which is basically the same thing. Even the most efficient planars around (such the 103db Edition X V2 just dont have the headroom as compared to dynamic models--and there's plenty of great choices there. You can boost it a little with the high-impedance/aux trick, but still the volume is lacking...

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #3,835 of 6,140

Depends on what you classify as 'drive' and how good your hearing is. IMHO (others will disagree) the V30 simply cannot handle planars very well--as evidenced by the relatively low volume of my HE-4XX, which is basically the same thing. Even the most efficient planars around (such the 103db Edition X V2 just dont have the headroom as compared to dynamic models--and there's plenty of great choices there. You can boost it a little with the high-impedance/aux trick, but still the volume is lacking...
Hmm I might have to agree... I'm using Logitech G433 RN with the phone, trick the high impedance mode and listen at around 44-52 volume setting. Drives the HPs very good. Same impedance as Hifiman but sensitivity is listed at 107dB, way more than 93dB of the planars :frowning2:

No idea how much more dB I get going in volume from my max setting of around 52 to the V30 max volume of 75? Or is the volume setting directly in dBs?

Aug 21, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #3,836 of 6,140

I agree. It will drive them, but not to their full potential. They need more to sound their best. Better off with the HE400S, but the pairing is still not ideal imo. I think dynamic drivers are a better match with the V30. HE4XX and HE400I have the same specs. I sold my HE400S and grabbed a pair of Sennheiser HD 58X. Much better pairing, and I personally think the HD 58X is a better sounding can.

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #3,837 of 6,140
Given the impedance and sensitivity data Hifiman lists for the HE-400i (below), I'm going to say DEFINITELY YES! If in High Impedance Mode the V30 can still successfully drive my 250-ohm Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro, then I have no reason to believe that at least in Aux mode that the V30 can't drive the HE-400i just as well. Probably even in Normal Device mode too, but I would use the trick to force the V30 into Aux mode to get you the best results. If you don't know the trick, let me know. VERY easy to implement. VERY.

Sensitivity: 93dB
Impedance: 35 Ohms

I no longer own the HE-400i, But have several other planars and the V20/V30 isn't ideal. Planars are usually harder to drive than you think. The impedance is low but the sensitivity is too.

It does pretty good with my Audeze LCD2 Classic.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #3,838 of 6,140
For those who have used their LG V30 (US998), running Oreo, with a Radsone ES100, did yours automatically pair using the LDAC codec?
That's what mine did today - they connected, and the Earstudio app on my phone was showing 24-Bit/96-KHz.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #3,839 of 6,140
I no longer own the HE-400i, But have several other planars and the V20/V30 isn't ideal. Planars are usually harder to drive than you think. The insane is low but the sensitivity is too.

It does pretty good with my Audeze LCD2 Classic.

Umm, ok! lol If you guys say so. I owned the Oppo PM-3 planars a while ago, so don't really recall noticing a difference. But I'll keep it in mind for the future.

"The insane is low but the sensitivity is too." Come again? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back