LG V30
Mar 6, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #2,581 of 6,140
After a little over a year my V20 has gotten really bad with screen ghosting/retention. If I'm on a screen with anything bright and static for more than a minute, you can see the ghost image for at least another minute or 2.

Since the deductible was almost as much as the payoff, I decided to just go with a new V30. I wont go into the issues I've had with that phone right now, but I'm probably swapping it for a Galaxy s9+ and buying an iDSD Nano BL to go with it.

However, if you're worried about the screen burn, new V30s come with a certificate that will let you extend your warranty for a second year.

Go to: LGV30promise.com
Wow, the V20 has an LCD screen, not OLED. I haven't heard of many burn-in /ghosting issues with LCD. You do have some serious bad luck.

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #2,582 of 6,140
Wow, the V20 has an LCD screen, not OLED. I haven't heard of many burn-in /ghosting issues with LCD. You do have some serious bad luck.
I started to get this after I cracked the screen. It got worse over time, and I suspect moisture got in. Otherwise I agree I haven't seen this on a recent phone. Then again I change mine too often.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #2,583 of 6,140
Samsung do make great phones. I loved the S8 form factor. I just wish their phones had that quad DAC & amp...

Ditto. the Quad DAC and great amp of the V series is like getting both a really good DAP and a decent phone mixed into one. I just had my brand new V30 crash on me 3 times in the first 48 hours, once after a hard reset. I just started working from home, so I don't have as much of a need for a hyper portable DAP/DAC/AMP combo anymore. So I'll probably get by fine with the S9+ and a DAC/AMP like the Nano Black Label.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #2,584 of 6,140
Deleted due to ineptness of yours truly unable to follow a thread properly . :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,587 of 6,140
I wasn't the original poster regarding the ghosting.
Oops. Never mind. Nothing to see here. Fixed. My bad. #Embarrassed

Mar 7, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #2,588 of 6,140
Hey guys, got myself a V30 and have been playing around with it. I did some research and I'm also trying to do some listening tests of my own, but I wanted to ask this group what music app you're using, and does it matter sound quality-wise? I'm sorry if this has been addressed before; I tried searching but I couldn't find anything in particular that answered my question. I've been ripping FLACs from CDs for the most part, but just yesterday, I tried buying a 24-bit lossless file for the first time and I'm trying to understand if Google Play Music app can play it just fine or if I should consider other players. I store all my music locally in the phone, and do little to no streaming.

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #2,589 of 6,140
I started to get this after I cracked the screen. It got worse over time, and I suspect moisture got in. Otherwise I agree I haven't seen this on a recent phone. Then again I change mine too often.
Just to let everyone know you can send phones to LG for screen replacement and they are about half of your local repair shops. I had a deep scratch on my V30 that I had to get fixed to return to the store. Everyone wanted $250-350. Lg does it for $140. Not bad for an OLED screen. I ended up having to pay the $250 because I had to return the phone in 2 days unfortunately.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #2,590 of 6,140
Hey guys, got myself a V30 and have been playing around with it. I did some research and I'm also trying to do some listening tests of my own, but I wanted to ask this group what music app you're using, and does it matter sound quality-wise? I'm sorry if this has been addressed before; I tried searching but I couldn't find anything in particular that answered my question. I've been ripping FLACs from CDs for the most part, but just yesterday, I tried buying a 24-bit lossless file for the first time and I'm trying to understand if Google Play Music app can play it just fine or if I should consider other players. I store all my music locally in the phone, and do little to no streaming.
Welcome to the V30 owner's club :) We actually created a thread especially for folks like you:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,592 of 6,140
Try Hiby player. It's free.

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #2,595 of 6,140
My V30+ arrived today (Silver one) tried immediately with UAPP alpha build and sounds awesome with my SE846's & HD660S.

I'm not sure if I've missed it somewhere and have read a fair bit, but where is it meant to show if your in Normal, High Impedance, Aux mode ?

Within first half hour of using it its made me wonder why all the messing around with dedicated DAP's and external DAC's ! Sounds as Good as anything else I've used other than the Hugo 2 I'd say, certainly comparable to Mojo.

If being picky then screen isn't quite as good as my S8 and there is a very slight blue tinge if viewed at angle as everyone says, but its really nothing and mine has no banding/dead pixels. There is a slight graininess to whites if compared to S8 but again nothing major.

I value audio over ultimate screen perfection so V30+ is fine to me. Hard to believe I've got this for only £500 compared to price of Mid/high DAP's, and with 128GB RAM built-in too (also added by 128GB SD)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back