LG V30
Mar 4, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,566 of 6,140
How does the v30 compare to something like the Fiio x5 mk iii and x7 mk ii ?

Since nobody answered this question, I'll give my $0.02's worth - and that maybe all it's worth... :wink:

It's complicated and subjective, but very roughly, I'd say X5iii < LG V30 < X7ii. Here's why...

The X5iii is cute, but has a bit of a hissy, noisy amp. SQ compared with the V30 is a wash - reasonably comparable on higher-impedance headphones, but both are going to have issues with higher-sensitivity/low-impedance IEMs, because the V30 has re-sampling issues with most apps which affect 44/16 (i.e., most) music files, while the X5iii has a high noise floor, some weird circuit noise and poor RFI shielding. There are ways to avoid the re-sampling on the V30; there's no way to avoid the noisy amp on the X5iii. The X7ii is probably my favorite DAP right now, at any price. It has no re-sampling issues, an output impedance comparable to that of the V30 (~1.2 Ohm) and a reasonably quiet noise floor (though not as quiet as that of the V30). There's not much to fault the X7ii, except, well, if somebody really wants to play Devil's advocate... its software and UI aren't as slick as that of the V30's, you have to anticipate a few little glitches and of course you've got to carry another device around with you.

There's arguably another device to consider here, which is the original X7. That has to be the absolute bargain DAP right now, considering you can find a used X7 for less than a new X5iii.
There are a few more features in the X7ii, but if you can manage with a single 400 Gb microSD card and if you never use TOSLINK, the X7 has several advantages over the X7ii beyond just the price. It has an accelerometer (which was dumped in the X7ii), potentially longer battery life, and in terms of audio specs, it surprisingly beats the X7ii in most categories. For example: lower z-out, higher dynamic range, support for higher sample rates and bit depths, lower THD+N and higher output power. Check out the following comparisons from FiiO's own website:

http://fiio.net/en/products/71/comparisons

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #2,567 of 6,140
I keep seeing hints that the V30 can do a line out signal. Is this true?

So I can feed a good amp with this thing to drive my HD650's?

If this is true please explain exactly what I need and how to set it up. I have a T-Mobile V30 if that makes a difference. I've heard the software and options differ slightly with T-Mobile.

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #2,568 of 6,140
Since nobody answered this question, I'll give my $0.02's worth - and that maybe all it's worth... :wink:

It's complicated and subjective, but very roughly, I'd say X5iii < LG V30 < X7ii. Here's why...

The X5iii is cute, but has a bit of a hissy, noisy amp. SQ compared with the V30 is a wash - reasonably comparable on higher-impedance headphones, but both are going to have issues with higher-sensitivity/low-impedance IEMs, because the V30 has re-sampling issues with most apps which affect 44/16 (i.e., most) music files, while the X5iii has a high noise floor, some weird circuit noise and poor RFI shielding. There are ways to avoid the re-sampling on the V30; there's no way to avoid the noisy amp on the X5iii. The X7ii is probably my favorite DAP right now, at any price. It has no re-sampling issues, an output impedance comparable to that of the V30 (~1.2 Ohm) and a reasonably quiet noise floor (though not as quiet as that of the V30). There's not much to fault the X7ii, except, well, if somebody really wants to play Devil's advocate... its software and UI aren't as slick as that of the V30's, you have to anticipate a few little glitches and of course you've got to carry another device around with you.

There's arguably another device to consider here, which is the original X7. That has to be the absolute bargain DAP right now, considering you can find a used X7 for less than a new X5iii.
There are a few more features in the X7ii, but if you can manage with a single 400 Gb microSD card and if you never use TOSLINK, the X7 has several advantages over the X7ii beyond just the price. It has an accelerometer (which was dumped in the X7ii), potentially longer battery life, and in terms of audio specs, it surprisingly beats the X7ii in most categories. For example: lower z-out, higher dynamic range, support for higher sample rates and bit depths, lower THD+N and higher output power. Check out the following comparisons from FiiO's own website:

http://fiio.net/en/products/71/comparisons
Thanks for the reply. Very detailed and informative. I decided to go for a cheap new v20 instead. I only really care about the audio, and the other phone functions are secondary.
Interesting take on the x7i. That seemed too smooth sounding and lacked dynamics to me.

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #2,569 of 6,140
I want to add to the discussion on how the V30 compares. First, I always use the V30 in AUX mode. The V30 has become a very important source I use during reviews. I have Opus#2, Opus #1S, Shanling M3S and Shanling M2S and I may be forgetting some. To my ears in "AUX" mode the M3S and V30 remind me a lot of one another. Some of the details and mids appear to my ears to be pushed a bit more forward than on the M3S. The Opus#2 is the only one that bests the V30 in terms of SQ, and not by light years. It is great to be able to have one device that I can pop in a 256gb sd or 400gb sd and have my catalog with me as well as streaming Tidal. Now that Tidal can stream MQA it is a bonus, although I will say I have really noticed a night and day difference with only cd, more listening time needed. It is fantastic to have a phone that you can feel good knowing if you are carrying only that device you are not losing the level that you are accustomed to from a DAP.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #2,570 of 6,140

Just one more note about the Fiio X7. I do believe (along with the
red-headed stepchild Calyx M) this device uses a *full-size* desktop
version ESS Sabre 9018 (what was in the Oppo 105 line)--and that's what
helps attribute to it's more robust sound.

As for Tidal...I have the new version where i can choose "master" in the
options, but can someone point me to a track that is MQA-encoded? I don't
see that referenced "M" on the screen--just some tracks with an "E" next to
them which i'm not sure what that means either. Does anyone know?

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #2,571 of 6,140

Go to a group called Southern Avenue and play their only CD they have.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #2,572 of 6,140
A couple of notes on Tidal MQA on V30. If you have an IEM that has a wide stage and a bit of air around the notes the MQA enhances the level of dynamics and stage. I also noticed that if you play MQA you will most definitely take a hit on battery life compared to HIFI.

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,573 of 6,140
I keep seeing hints that the V30 can do a line out signal. Is this true?

So I can feed a good amp with this thing to drive my HD650's?

If this is true please explain exactly what I need and how to set it up. I have a T-Mobile V30 if that makes a difference. I've heard the software and options differ slightly with T-Mobile.

Thanks.
I can only answer half of you question.
An external amp isn't needed to push the HD650...the LG V30 is rated up to 600ohms.

This is what you'll need to display the output for T-Mobile...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apptrio.hi_fi_status&hl=en

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #2,574 of 6,140

Can't answer your first question as to how to find masters but the "E" means it is the explicit version.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #2,578 of 6,140
I can only answer half of you question.
An external amp isn't needed to push the HD650...the LG V30 is rated up to 600ohms.

This is what you'll need to display the output for T-Mobile...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apptrio.hi_fi_status&hl=en
Thanks for the response. That link to the LG app will come in handy.

You are correct. I don't need and external amp. I've been enjoying the 650s out of my V30 for a couple months. But I'd like to experiment with some tube amps and would like to keep using my V30 as a source.

Is this possible or should I look for something else?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #2,579 of 6,140
Quality/design looks great but one concern, the demo unit showed loads of screen burn/retention but does look like the store demo is on all the time. Anybody experiencing screen burn in normal use?

After a little over a year my V20 has gotten really bad with screen ghosting/retention. If I'm on a screen with anything bright and static for more than a minute, you can see the ghost image for at least another minute or 2.

Since the deductible was almost as much as the payoff, I decided to just go with a new V30. I wont go into the issues I've had with that phone right now, but I'm probably swapping it for a Galaxy s9+ and buying an iDSD Nano BL to go with it.

However, if you're worried about the screen burn, new V30s come with a certificate that will let you extend your warranty for a second year.

Go to: LGV30promise.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back