LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 14, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #3,346 of 4,141
I hope you do realize that water resistance is just an excuse to make the battery non replacable.
Programmed obsolescence is made SO MUCH easier when the battery is more difficult to change!
Right on...non removable batteries- production costs reduced, but phone prices rise sky high anyway; Apple's trend unhappily kicking in..

Another great feature is also gone on the V30 and that is the IR Blaster that I got used to.. I installed a great remote control app and I have control of almost ALL my devices ( TV, stereo, home theater, air conditioning, you name it) just with my V20. Great when you can't find the original remote controller, or the wife is monopolizing it, or making pranks on friends's houses or other places..

Gonna hang on the V20 for a loooong time!

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #3,347 of 4,141
Right on...non removable batteries- production costs reduced, but phone prices rise sky high anyway; Apple's trend unhappily kicking in..

Another great feature is also gone on the V30 and that is the IR Blaster that I got used to.. I installed a great remote control app and I have control of almost ALL my devices ( TV, stereo, home theater, air conditioning, you name it) just with my V20. Great when you can't find the original remote controller, or the wife is monopolizing it, or making pranks on friends's houses or other places..

Gonna hang on the V20 for a loooong time!

+1, I love the IR on my V20, and the fact it has a removable battery means I am likely to keep this for several more years as a DAP and handy remote if nothing else!

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #3,348 of 4,141
Hello everyone, I had the v10 that good sound quality but now I have the v20 and I must say that has an incredible sound quality.
What is IR?
When I set fingerprints, the screen lock tells me: can not use fingerprints because?

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #3,351 of 4,141
Hello everyone, I had the v10 that good sound quality but now I have the v20 and I must say that has an incredible sound quality.
What is IR?
When I set fingerprints, the screen lock tells me: can not use fingerprints because?
v20 is superior to many dap
v20 + superlux hd681evo excellent coupled, you give me some advice "trick" to make the most of my new v20?

You know you could have written all that in one post right? :I... Just sayen.

"Ir" is Infrared. Basically you can use v20 as a remote controller for your TV and such.

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #3,353 of 4,141
I never thought to ask here. I did it on XDA, and nobody had a clue as to what I was talking about.

I've had two LG V20's, and a single V10. The V10 always worked properly - always. It never even boot-looped. I managed to sell it , and it's still going strong.

My first V20 had tons of noise and distortion when the Hi Fi DAC kicked in. I had to sent it back on eBay.

My second V20's frequency response only got up to 18KHz, regardless of player or file being played, or whether the Hi Fi DAC kicked in. I gave it to my wife (who loves the phone because of its terrific cameras and screen).

I'm still thinking about a third V20, just because I miss so much my V10. The V30 is too damn expensivem, and I guess, I can always get one on eBay and resell it if audio isn't up to par.

From what I understand, the Android audio subsystem is to blame here. I also own a Fiio X5iii and only use it with its native player just to be sure there isn't any resampling. Which is weird, because my S8+ has never had any issues playing hi res files.

Is there any player (any) that will definitely not resample audio on the LG V20, besides the LG Music Player (I used that one on the V10m, and it's too slow with my music collection)?

Has anyone else had the issue of no frequency response beyond 18 KHz on their phone?

Are there any tricks to be used to be sure the phone will work properly with audio?

Otherwise, it's too big of a gamble.

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #3,354 of 4,141
I've had two LG V20's, and a single V10. The V10 always worked properly - always. It never even boot-looped. I managed to sell it , and it's still going strong.

My first V20 had tons of noise and distortion when the Hi Fi DAC kicked in. I had to sent it back on eBay.

My second V20's frequency response only got up to 18KHz, regardless of player or file being played, or whether the Hi Fi DAC kicked in. I gave it to my wife (who loves the phone because of its terrific cameras and screen).

I'm still thinking about a third V20, just because I miss so much my V10. The V30 is too expensive, and I guess, I can always get one on eBay and resell it if audio isn't up to par.

Is there any player (any) that will definitely not resample audio on the LG V20, besides the LG Music Player (I used that one on the V10, and it's too slow with my music collection)?

Has anyone else had the issue of no frequency response beyond 18 KHz on their phone?

Are there any tricks to be used to be sure the phone will work properly with audio?

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #3,355 of 4,141

I'm still thinking about a third V20, just because I miss so much my V10. The V30 is too expensive, and I guess, I can always get one on eBay and resell it if audio isn't up to par.

Is there any player (any) that will definitely not resample audio on the LG V20, besides the LG Music Player (I used that one on the V10, and it's too slow with my music collection)?

I've read that blackplayer doesn't downscale files but I haven't tried it.
The stock player isn't that bad :S... If it lags it's sometimes caused by the sd card (if you're using one).

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #3,357 of 4,141
May I ask how you che, th cked this ? (those were genuine lossless files ?)
I created a pink noise 24/96 FLAC, and loaded it on my phone. Then I played it back, and analyzed it with a SB 24/96 card, and TrueRTA 24oct.

The Fiio X5iii, the Galaxy S8+ and the LG V10 hit 48 KHz with ease.

The LG V20 dropped off like a rock from 18 KHz onwards, no matter what I did, and no matter what player I used.

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #3,359 of 4,141
I created a pink noise 24/96 FLAC, and loaded it on my phone. Then I played it back, and analyzed it with a SB 24/96 card, and TrueRTA 24oct.

The Fiio X5iii, the Galaxy S8+ and the LG V10 hit 48 KHz with ease.

The LG V20 dropped off like a rock from 18 KHz onwards, no matter what I did, and no matter what player I used.
Thanks for the details. This is really curious. Was your V20 B&O labelled ? Just wondering if it affects all V20 devices... Was it rooted ? Did you change audio settings (for example to avoid resampling) ?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #3,360 of 4,141
Thanks for the details. This is really curious. Was your V20 B&O labelled ? Just wondering if it affects all V20 devices... Was it rooted ? Did you change audio settings (for example to avoid resampling) ?

When measuring the output of the V20 with hi-fi mode one is listening to an the 9218 SoC. This is not a DAC but complete computer with outputs. B&O does use the custom filtering ESS provides prior to the output stage in the digital domain. If you look at the frequency response curves of the FAST and Apodizing modes of the built-in Pro core..you will see a very aggressive low-pass filtering at and around 20K. In particular it seems there are lots of noise and artifacts produced by the apodizing linear phase filter that have to be aggressively attenuated. I do think it is the best one, from other testing on similar DACs in the proline -- but I dont know which one the V20 is using by default. My guess is it is the linear phase apodizing filter, which has fast roll-off characteristics for the reasons mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back