LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 26, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #2,045 of 4,141
Right, so I just picked up one of these babies and I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces!

Any tips for getting the most out of the audio capabilities here? I'll primarily be using my Beyer DT250 80ohm headphones, which presumably will kick the phone into high impedence mode by default.

Should I be using a different app to the built in for music playback? Anything else i should be aware of? How about the recording capabilities?

Really looking forward to hearing how this compares to my Cowon J3 and Plenue D. I hope this can truly be my all in one device.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #2,046 of 4,141
as you can see I'm waiting lol.
Would love to hear your opinion on the DAC vs the Amp.
Cheers

Well listening last night my phone would not kick into high impedence mode for the HE-400i.   I forgot they fall below the 50ohm threshold.   I could barely get the volume up for a decent listening level.   Obviously when hooked into the little dot the sound was exponentially better.   

The high impendence mode did kick on for my t50rp mk3s which are notoriously hard to drive.   However, I was pleasantly suprised with how good they sounded.   I'm listening to them right now and the phone does a good job of driving them.   I'm going to switch to my objective 2 shortly, so I can let you know the difference.   

I also checked the phone with my hd600, which did kick into high impedence mode, but I didn't get a chance to listen very long.  

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #2,047 of 4,141
Well listening last night my phone would not kick into high impedence mode for the HE-400i.   I forgot they fall below the 50ohm threshold.   I could barely get the volume up for a decent listening level.   Obviously when hooked into the little dot the sound was exponentially better.   

The high impendence mode did kick on for my t50rp mk3s which are notoriously hard to drive.   However, I was pleasantly suprised with how good they sounded.   I'm listening to them right now and the phone does a good job of driving them.   I'm going to switch to my objective 2 shortly, so I can let you know the difference.   

I also checked the phone with my hd600, which did kick into high impedence mode, but I didn't get a chance to listen very long.  

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, that's why I use the Opus #11 USB DAC to drive the headphones.
The sound is absolutely amazing with this setup, particularly with the UAPP App.
I suppose I could have bought an Amp rather than the DAC/Amp but frankly the sound was so amazing using the Opus#11 I simply couldn't leave it behind.
I'm lucky enough to have a Linn Sondek turntable and will embark on recording my own vinyl collection onto digital format soon.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #2,048 of 4,141
Been keeping up with this thread and finally caught up. A question that has been bugging the hell out of me is how in the world can anybody think the promo ear buds, the bang and Olufsen H3s are bright? Do those that think those specific earphones are bright because they listen to bass heavy music or bass centric cans/buds most of the time? I just wanted to point out that they're rated only to 16khz, 4000hz shy of average human's capacity of hearing. The midrange is very solid on the HE. I've heard mixed reviews on the bass, and IMO wish it was a little punchier but it's good enough honestly for buds. Cans will definitely hit harder and tighter if designed well. And I thought I would be slightly disappointed with the treble since they don't go up to 20khz but have been relative surprised at how smooth and balanced they. I rarely listen with buds as I prefer cans, and the ootb tips fit my ears too perfect, isolating me from the world even more than over the ears usually do. Of course that is kind of what you want, but with both my beyer's having velour pads and if I don't listen to jam out levels that ever so slight leakage of sound is preferable to me when I am not aiming for tuning out the world listening sessions. The H3s isolate too much for my own preference. So how in the world can those specific buds be "bright"? With a solid midrange and better than expected balance of sound I just don't see it. Even if you have exceptional hearing. I'm fixing to turn 41 so my hearing has degraded ever so slightly and it was very refreshing to learn that my middle of the road Polk monitor speakers in my living room were very bright compared to the recently acquired RBH 7.2 system, 5 being towers and a humongous center. The polks weren't Klipsch bright though and also made me realize why I didn't listen to music often. Music to movie ratio used to be about 90% HT, 5% music and the rest other, like PC for YouTube and such. Now my listening ratio is my system is always playing background music with the also recently Marantz pre amp. Before I had an Onkyo 3009 with a Halo A31 so I had very warm sources powering the slightly bright Polk's, but now Asahi Kasei 4458 DAC with A31 and classdaudio 4ch 470 powering very natural and neutral speakers. Is it bass addiction making that biased assumption? Sensitive ears? Fatigued ears with anything over 5khz? Any insight from those that have the H3s and can offer insight? Obviously it's not the V20, nor is it my JDS Labs C5d as my Beyers sound great using my V20, my Marantz 7702MKII or my CTD creating anything shrill enough to say I'm done with the H3s. In fairness, they are the best EAR buds I have ever listened to, but I haven't had much experience with other buds. Mostly free buds in the box with any phone I've bought that included them and the H3s probably have more time on them since I've got the V20 before launch day than the last 9 years or so put together. I know physically they aren't the best quality wise, but once you put them on they punch way above expectations and I personally don't think they're worth the $150 USD asking g price because of that, but if I was an earphone type of person I could see myself parting with maybe $80 if I was in the market. Hell I only paid $150 and $160 for my Beyer COPs and DT770 PRO 250 ohms respectively and the COPs are more fun to listen to and I only bought them for when I use my phone as the source because 16ohms. Anyways, how in the world are the H3s bright coming from any source, even with music that has no bass?

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #2,049 of 4,141
Been keeping up with this thread and finally caught up. A question that has been bugging the hell out of me is how in the world can anybody think the promo ear buds, the bang and Olufsen H3s are bright? Do those that think those specific earphones are bright because they listen to bass heavy music or bass centric cans/buds most of the time? I just wanted to point out that they're rated only to 16khz, 4000hz shy of average human's capacity of hearing. The midrange is very solid on the HE. I've heard mixed reviews on the bass, and IMO wish it was a little punchier but it's good enough honestly for buds. Cans will definitely hit harder and tighter if designed well. And I thought I would be slightly disappointed with the treble since they don't go up to 20khz but have been relative surprised at how smooth and balanced they. I rarely listen with buds as I prefer cans, and the ootb tips fit my ears too perfect, isolating me from the world even more than over the ears usually do. Of course that is kind of what you want, but with both my beyer's having velour pads and if I don't listen to jam out levels that ever so slight leakage of sound is preferable to me when I am not aiming for tuning out the world listening sessions. The H3s isolate too much for my own preference. So how in the world can those specific buds be "bright"? With a solid midrange and better than expected balance of sound I just don't see it. Even if you have exceptional hearing. I'm fixing to turn 41 so my hearing has degraded ever so slightly and it was very refreshing to learn that my middle of the road Polk monitor speakers in my living room were very bright compared to the recently acquired RBH 7.2 system, 5 being towers and a humongous center. The polks weren't Klipsch bright though and also made me realize why I didn't listen to music often. Music to movie ratio used to be about 90% HT, 5% music and the rest other, like PC for YouTube and such. Now my listening ratio is my system is always playing background music with the also recently Marantz pre amp. Before I had an Onkyo 3009 with a Halo A31 so I had very warm sources powering the slightly bright Polk's, but now Asahi Kasei 4458 DAC with A31 and classdaudio 4ch 470 powering very natural and neutral speakers. Is it bass addiction making that biased assumption? Sensitive ears? Fatigued ears with anything over 5khz? Any insight from those that have the H3s and can offer insight? Obviously it's not the V20, nor is it my JDS Labs C5d as my Beyers sound great using my V20, my Marantz 7702MKII or my CTD creating anything shrill enough to say I'm done with the H3s. In fairness, they are the best EAR buds I have ever listened to, but I haven't had much experience with other buds. Mostly free buds in the box with any phone I've bought that included them and the H3s probably have more time on them since I've got the V20 before launch day than the last 9 years or so put together. I know physically they aren't the best quality wise, but once you put them on they punch way above expectations and I personally don't think they're worth the $150 USD asking g price because of that, but if I was an earphone type of person I could see myself parting with maybe $80 if I was in the market. Hell I only paid $150 and $160 for my Beyer COPs and DT770 PRO 250 ohms respectively and the COPs are more fun to listen to and I only bought them for when I use my phone as the source because 16ohms. Anyways, how in the world are the H3s bright coming from any source, even with music that has no bass?
Frequency response isn't everything, plus most companies don't even measure it correctly, the H3 definitely covers the full range of human hearing and it's more dependent on where the peaks are at in the actual response curve and the individual person, hearing loss as you age doesn't just work directly down from the highest capable. Internal ear anatomy changes what a person hears more significantly than you might think and it causes everyone to hear differently and can make them more sensitive to certain frequencies.

Edit: By correctly I mean their equipment isn't the same across the board, such as different microphones, amps, how they actually run their test. Everyone does it differently so you can't judge something solely on that.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #2,050 of 4,141

,,The plug ear,, iem . Anatomically incorrect. So comfortable, not variations in the anatomy of the traditional ear headphones. That's how I know.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #2,051 of 4,141
So what is the best way to trick the amp into High Gain Mode?
Got an Audeze EL-8 yesterday and normal gain is really really low for them. If I hook up the cable to the phone before I connect it to the headphones I get the external device mode which is much better.
But I still feel they could use more power. Is there an easy good trick to go into high gain that also doesn't deteriorate the signal?

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #2,052 of 4,141
So, this phone absolutely slays my Beyer DT250 (80ohm). They sound more full than from any other portable device I've owned over the years (iPod Classics, Cowon J3, Cowon Plenue D, Xperia Z1, HTC M8). Those phones in particular... This just leaves them for dead. Finally the dream of an all in one device is real for me!

Volume to spare as well... 55 is too loud. This is just using the pre installed music app, so things can only go up from here. Damn pleased with this purchase.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #2,053 of 4,141
Got an Audeze EL-8 yesterday and normal gain is really really low for them. If I hook up the cable to the phone before I connect it to the headphones I get the external device mode which is much better.
But I still feel they could use more power. Is there an easy good trick to go into high gain that also doesn't deteriorate the signal?

Root and change mixer paths.. Xda has the mod..

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #2,055 of 4,141

Not the root of the simplest way to reach that HighGaint. (H990ds in addition to the non-root) I have described a simple method that works under the headphones HighGain 50 ohms to v10 / 20 only.  Using PowerAMP v3 is working perfectly 24bit FLAC / DSD

post #1989  here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back