LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 24, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #2,011 of 4,141
I use Hifiman HE-400i planar phones.
The V20 cannot drive these but I use an Opus #11 with them and the sound is incredible. I also enjoy UAPP which the developer released a patch as it did not cater for the V20.
I never use EQ but the lifting the bass slightly provides a clear boost without any muddiness or boom.

what patch are you referring to in usb audio player

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #2,012 of 4,141
biggrin.gif
Gentlemen . :) The hearing is very subjective thing.
Some of us Look who is great. Who took the bass like everyone in the middle, whose smooth Stereo. It is for the equalizer. Like the food and spices. Everyone likes a different flavor. Needless to say that you do not need equalizer, and should not be used. ( everyone decides for himself )  I like to use all of the music more. It's fun. but it is not? One thing is sure :) I really liked the sound of the V10.  But V20 ..the more enjoyable.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,013 of 4,141
no doubt to me at all the best player on lg v20 is usb audio player, and i have all others, poweramp alpha, neutron, player pro, jet audio

the worst to my ears is the stock player go figure as it sounds to me piercing and non musical and life less

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,014 of 4,141
I use Hifiman HE-400i planar phones.
The V20 cannot drive these but I use an Opus #11 with them and the sound is incredible. I also enjoy UAPP which the developer released a patch as it did not cater for the V20.
I never use EQ but the lifting the bass slightly provides a clear boost without any muddiness or boom.

He-400i are only 35 Ohm. You should be able to drive them. You probably need to use the "Aux" mode via an adapter to get it to push them better. I drive my 70 Ohm LCD-2f using Aux mode and it works.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2,015 of 4,141
Did anybody directly compare the v20 with the G5+B&O module ? Sound quality and power wise.
I have the G5+module and it drives my Focal Spirit Classic's just fine (32ohm) but when I plug in AKG K712(70ohm) it just sounds thin and quiet. I am pleased with the sound quality of the B&O DAC, but I'm a bit dissapointed with it's amping capabilities. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,016 of 4,141
uoi
no doubt to me at all the best player on lg v20 is usb audio player, and i have all others, poweramp alpha, neutron, player pro, jet audio

the worst to my ears is the stock player go figure as it sounds to me piercing and non musical and life less
you are comparing with eq I guess?

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2,017 of 4,141
Did anybody directly compare the v20 with the G5+B&O module ? Sound quality and power wise.
I have the G5+module and it drives my Focal Spirit Classic's just fine (32ohm) but when I plug in AKG K712(70ohm) it just sounds thin and quiet. I am pleased with the sound quality of the B&O DAC, but I'm a bit dissapointed with it's amping capabilities. 
tried v20 + k701, same result as your k712.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #2,020 of 4,141
Hey guys,

The topic has gotten gigantic. Quick question: considering audio ONLY, is the V20 worth it/better than the V10?

Thanks so much! :)

I recently upgraded from the v10 to the v20 and i got a little time to compare the audio, not a lot, just a couple hours, but i was able to get quite a bit from it. Over all im glad i upgraded, not just because of my v10 software issues. The v20 has a lot more amping power, testing my k240 of 600 ohms i was able to get it a t 55 out of the 75 volume scale before it started getting too loud. My planar alpha dogs were a bit tricky though, the software in the v20 tells what kind of headphone youre using and adjusts accordingly. The alphas are 50 ohms so it didnt kick into high impedance mode (for 50+ ohms) but the planar driver might aswell be 600 ohms so i had to turn it way up to 70 or 75. It seemed to be slightly more musical and smooth than the v10 but also delivered better detail and clarity in a few instances. What the v20 does is looks at what kind of headphones are plugged in and adds a little extra or a little less to what it sees fit, not a lot, just a little. I can see how this could be an issue for many but i dont think it effects it enough to be a problem, especially for a portaple/phone amp. The tuning in the settings isnt good so if you want to use an EQ you have to download one. Overall im happy with it and think its an improvement. But i wouldnt upgrade for it alone. Seems to me like the equivalent of an upgrade from a $150 portable amp to a $250 portable amp. If youre v10 works just fine for you then im not sure it would be worth it, but if yours has no fingerprint scanning software, random shutdowns, glitchy audio jack, and awful battery life then i think the v20 would be a very pleasing upgrade.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #2,021 of 4,141
what patch are you referring to in usb audio player
UAPP did not produce any output when using an external DAC. Davy did get this to work for me after looking at the log files, but this fix affected some other devices eg the LG 5.
The latest release of UAPP does not work with the V20 and the Opus #11.
However an 'unreleased' version works after a specific release catering for the LG V20.
I'm using this release till another fix is applied to work with the V20.
If you're having this issue I suggest you mail Davy as his support is phenomenal.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,022 of 4,141
Hey guys,

The topic has gotten gigantic. Quick question: considering audio ONLY, is the V20 worth it/better than the V10?

Thanks so much! :)

v20 is cleaner, and slightly louder
v10 has better sub-bass and separation

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #2,023 of 4,141
"THE QUAD DAC OF THE LG V20 PUSHES SNR DOWN TO UNPRECEDENTED LEVELS FOR A SMARTPHONE"
,,..Why is Quad DAC better than Single DAC you may ask? The initial instinct is to think “well, more is better” – it’s not always true, but in this case, it is, and here’s why: Each DAC will process the audio signal (source) and reduce noise, outputting an analog signal (outcome).
The output signal of each DAC is then added together to increase the source signal. As this is done in analog, the level of noise goes down relative to the overall audio signal. The Quad DAC of the LG V20 pushes SNR down to unprecedented levels for a smartphone.
That’s also why the Quad DAC volume control in the LG V20 is done in the analog space. If you control the volume in digital space, the amount of noise can rise because you are reducing the (good signal) while the noise remains constant (because induced by electronic components)...,,

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #2,024 of 4,141
i'm suspecting the quad dac thing is mostly intended for marketing purposes...after the failure of es9118, which looks like a good product but made no design wins.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #2,025 of 4,141
He-400i are only 35 Ohm. You should be able to drive them. You probably need to use the "Aux" mode via an adapter to get it to push them better. I drive my 70 Ohm LCD-2f using Aux mode and it works.
planar headphones are very difficult to drive despite the low 35 Ohm.
Can you please provide more detail on using them with the LG V20 in Aux mode!
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back