LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #768 of 4,141
Jason,
You're onto something. Absolutely does go into hi-impedance mode with the non-control cord attached. I was using a control cord last time (although it's not the Mee cord, mine has volume control/track buttons)... Need some time to A/B. Definitely LOUDER, but not sure if SQ is greatly improved...

Thanks man - appreciate this. I will bask in the glory of V20 + P1 (and IE800, Sony Z5, etc.) at 11:59:59PM tonight when my UPS driver arrives. 

-Collin-

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #769 of 4,141

Thanks man - appreciate this. I will bask in the glory of V20 + P1 (and IE800, Sony Z5, etc.) at 11:59:59PM tonight when my UPS driver arrives. 

-Collin-

I'm ridiculously impressed with the v20. I know better players could do a little better, but at this point it's turning into such tiny percentages I can't imagine caring.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #770 of 4,141

I'm ridiculously impressed with the v20. I know better players could do a little better, but at this point it's turning into such tiny percentages I can't imagine caring.

Awesome, thanks for that. I have a Mojo, a DACportable (if it ever ships) and a few desktop rigs, but I cannot tell you how excited I am to have top notch SQ while I walk my dog 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I had it when I had my G5 + B&O, but it had some issues streaming over 4G. This shouldn't have any of those, so I'm excited. 

-Collin-

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #771 of 4,141
Also, posters above were saying the v20 doesn't kick into HQ mode with the MEE P1's phone-control cable plugged in, so I tried it out:

Nope! High-impedance mode as well. So P1 users, don't worry about avoiding the phone cable because you're afraid of losing your high SQ mode.

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #772 of 4,141
  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=69442335&postcount=12
Unfortunately, my suspicions were confirmed about the implementation of the ES9218 DAC:
The following is from the developer of the NeutronMP player:
According your logs (Thank you for making them!) OS declares only one
(!!!) frequency - 48000 kHz. You can see it in logs:
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| enum: device 0
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| enum: id = 1
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| enum: type = 1
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| enum: name = LG-LS997
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| enum: is sink = 1
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| enum: is source = 0
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| enum: channels [1]:
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| - 1
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| enum: sample rates [1]:
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| - 48000
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| enum: sample types [1]:
[13:08:16] I <SFX>| - 2
It means firmware does not expose Hi-Fi DAC via this new API. Why LG can not make it and expose DAC and solve the problem with using full potential of the device - puzzle. Neutron would use it automatically if DAC is exposed by the firmware.

​how come I hear a big difference when I activate the hifi dac while using neutron

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #773 of 4,141
I went back to buy the lg v20 because I bought the glyph headset and LG v20 supports HML while galaxy s7 edge does not

I want to ask if in neutron audio hardware setting I choose follow source frequency does it do that correctly or is it 48000 per android

I really want to know if in neutron we are getting full access to hifi dac as in a previous post someone says that the dev of neutron said it plays at 48000

but I for myself hear a big difference when I turn on hifi dac

also how can i know if amp is used in high gain or low gain is there an indication when the amp is in high gain

your thoughts please

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #774 of 4,141
Hi all,

Been enjoying this thread, big thank-you to all contributors! 

Trying to decide between V20 and HTC 10 (or maybe wait for HTC 11)

My current portable set up is a Pono with Yamaha EPH-100, for me this gives great sound for fairly little coin. Really like the bass extension and presence I'm hearing.

Wondering if one of these phones might replace my Pono Player, simply for the convenience of carrying one device instead of two.
Had a quick listen to a friend's G4 with a CD quality track vs Pono - via the EPH-100. Must say, I was pleasantly surprised a phone could sound that good! (i'm new to this idea) Although, I did perceive noticeably less resolution, slightly less bass and some added grain when listening to the phone. (this was a very quick evaluation) The G4 sounds nice, my Nexus 5x sounds yuk.

The G4 might not quite make the cut for me for a Pono replacement, but the V20 sounds better, right?
From what I have read, the HTC 10 seems to have my preferred sound signature, but the V20 has more resolution / overall quality. Wish I could spend a couple hours with each!

Any ideas comparing sound quality from any combination of  G4 /  V20 /  HTC 10  / Pono  would be greatly appreciated!!

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #775 of 4,141
  I went back to buy the lg v20 because I bought the glyph headset and LG v20 supports HML while galaxy s7 edge does not

I want to ask if in neutron audio hardware setting I choose follow source frequency does it do that correctly or is it 48000 per android

I really want to know if in neutron we are getting full access to hifi dac as in a previous post someone says that the dev of neutron said it plays at 48000

but I for myself hear a big difference when I turn on hifi dac

also how can i know if amp is used in high gain or low gain is there an indication when the amp is in high gain

your thoughts please

The v10 and the V20 both have 2 DACs the onboard DAC of the snapdragon chipset and the extra audio DAC from Sabre. If you switch to "Hifi" mode the extra DAC is used - which explains the better sound quality - at which frequency - that I don't know. But you are definitely using the extra DAC in hifi mode....

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #776 of 4,141
http://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/help/music-player-utilize-dac-t3491458

I was over at xda lg v20 forum, and boy reading a thread about music apps and how it utilizes the hifi dac is so confusing

they debate that 3 party apps do not have full access to the hifi dac, and someone is preparing a letter to address LG about false claims about that music gets handled by the hifi dac

now I am not saying that is the case, but I would like your input guys in this

can you guys read over that thread and share with us what you think and lets make at least few questioned to be answered clearly

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #777 of 4,141
  Hi all,

Been enjoying this thread, big thank-you to all contributors!

Trying to decide between V20 and HTC 10 (or maybe wait for HTC 11)

My current portable set up is a Pono with Yamaha EPH-100, for me this gives great sound for fairly little coin. Really like the bass extension and presence I'm hearing.

Wondering if one of these phones might replace my Pono Player, simply for the convenience of carrying one device instead of two.
Had a quick listen to a friend's G4 with a CD quality track vs Pono - via the EPH-100. Must say, I was pleasantly surprised a phone could sound that good! (i'm new to this idea) Although, I did perceive noticeably less resolution, slightly less bass and some added grain when listening to the phone. (this was a very quick evaluation) The G4 sounds nice, my Nexus 5x sounds yuk.

The G4 might not quite make the cut for me for a Pono replacement, but the V20 sounds better, right?
From what I have read, the HTC 10 seems to have my preferred sound signature, but the V20 has more resolution / overall quality. Wish I could spend a couple hours with each!

Any ideas comparing sound quality from any combination of  G4 /  V20 /  HTC 10  / Pono  would be greatly appreciated!!

The v20 is a great sounding device no doubt.  The HTC 10 in my opinion has very similar qualities. Not sure what the specs are audiowise between the two phones, but they sound equal.  Great soundstage, great instrument separation and detail.  The HTC 10 does sound a little warmer but to me that means its more musical, lol.  If you want more accurate go v20 I guess.  I also believe that the v20 can power more demanding headphones but it seems that sometimes you have to "trick" it into thinking yo have more demanding headphones so it switches to a higher output mode and really comes alive.  As a phone, I believe the HTC 10 is better.  It runs more like stock android which is a plus in my book.  The screen is smaller on the HTC 10 which I don't like, but it does make it a little more convenient.  Im not much into watching movies on the phone or playing many video games so it doesn't affect me as much.  It also fits into a pocket better I have to admit.  But I'd still rather have a larger screen.  I did get better battery life from the HTC 10, don't know what the actual ratings are between the two but since the 10 has a smaller screen I would assume it would be more efficient?  And finally, I think the price is cheaper on the 10 right now.  $550 I think vs. $799 for an unlocked US v20.

I want to say I've never owned the v20 (or the v10) but I did demo my friends unit for a couple hours.  I have owned the Lg G5 w/HiFi DAC which sounds the same as the v20 to me.  I loved that phone and honestly had a hard time deciding which to be my long term handset (G5 vs 10) and I guess I picked the 10.  Especially when they came out with that red color (I bought another 10 to replace my black one)

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #778 of 4,141
Some headphones and IEM's will definitely benefit from the higher power modes, but not all. 

Here are some notes of my V10 with the various headphones/IEM's I own. Results should be similar with the V20.

AKG Q701: Being 62 ohms the V10 (and V20) will switch into the high impedance (highest power) mode. The V10 and Q701 is a very very excellent pairing. I use this pairing at between 30 to 40 out of 75. So that's only 40 to 53%. 

Brainwavz HM5: Being 64 ohms, the V10 (and V20) will also switch into high impedance mode. Now this headphone is a higher impedance being 64 ohms, but it is still very easy to power, very easy. I listen at between 15 to 25 out of 75. So that's only 20 to 33%. This headphone is my sealed Q701. It sounds roughly the same but is closed. 

Audio Technica M50x: 38 ohms. Does fine in the regular low powered mode, gets louder earlier when tricked into "aux" mode. This headphone doesn't seem all that sensitive or extremely easy to drive. I haven't noticed any difference other than the extra volume. I also haven't spent a lot of time with this combo yet though either. The short time I've used this combo I remember listening at around 35-40 in normal power mode, and around 30-35 when tricked into "aux" mode. I was given these as a gift, but they aren't really my ideal sound signature so I haven't used them much.

HifiMan/Massdrop RE-00: 64 ohms, so the high impedance mode gets triggered. Just like the HM5, these are high(ish) impedance but are sensitive and easy to drive. I also use them between 15-25 out of 75, so again, only 20-33%. 

HifiMan RE-Zero: 16 ohm, so only the low power mode for these. They aren't the most sensitive or the most easy to drive having 100DB sensitivity, but 99% of the devices out there will power it fine. In low power mode I listen to this combination at 25-35 out of 75. I have never tried tricking these into the "aux" mode, and I don't see how they could really benefit from it. 

I'm sure there are plenty of cases where tricking the phone into "aux" mode may be needed, but it's not the case with most sub 50 ohm headphones. One example would be the Audeze EL8. I plugged a pair in for a very brief 2 minutes and these being low impedance, but still more difficult to drive could use the extra power. 

Added to this Sennheiser HD25-II sounds AMAZING with V10!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back