LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 3, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #736 of 4,141
Interesting find.

I was able to get to this mode by using my "gaming headphones". They are a pair of Philips SPH9500 with the VModa BoomPro Mic. I cranked the volume up on the phone and use the volume control wheel on the Boom Pro to set the overall volume. Worked GREAT! One thing though, at the near lowest level... there is a channel imbalance towards the right ear, but goes away immediately as you apply even the slightest amount of volume. I didn't detect it with the normal stepping on the phone, only through the manual volume control.

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #739 of 4,141
Has anyone compared the sound quality directly with the s6? Thinking the v20 will be my next phone but have been with Samsung the previous 3 generations.

This phone blows away any phone sound I've heard. The only comparable thing to compare is maybe the galaxy tab 2 that had the same Wolfson chip as the phones but tuned a little different and much better volume. But that was a tablet.

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #740 of 4,141
The only comparable thing to compare is maybe the galaxy tab 2 that had the same Wolfson chip as the phones but tuned a little different and much better volume.

What?

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #742 of 4,141
Well, I don't know where to start really. I've had mine on for about a half hour now and it sounds great. I noticed a difference between normal and Hifi modes with my basic Samsung earbuds but the P1 is much different. The P1 really opens up with Hifi enabled, I mean like a night and day difference.

Appreciate this, but can you tell us specifically if the P1 kicks the V20 into high-gain mode? There have been a few posts on how to check this, but basically in the "HiFi" screen, can you check if it says "high-impedance device" at the top? Or if it says "normal audio device?" I'm guessing on the names, but they're something like that. Would really appreciate it. 

-Collin-

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #743 of 4,141

Appreciate this, but can you tell us specifically if the P1 kicks the V20 into high-gain mode? There have been a few posts on how to check this, but basically in the "HiFi" screen, can you check if it says "high-impedance device" at the top? Or if it says "normal audio device?" I'm guessing on the names, but they're something like that. Would really appreciate it. 

-Collin-

The P1 Pinnacle? It sure does. High impedance. No need for any kind of mod. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #745 of 4,141
Has anyone compared the sound quality directly with the s6? Thinking the v20 will be my next phone but have been with Samsung the previous 3 generations.

My LG V20 has more drive, is brighter(possibly just a more fuller range but I'm sensitive to treble, so it appears brighter to me). For OEM use S6 is fine for anything more demanding it is very hard to not recommend LGV20 & HTC 10 as a category of "Smartphones that power high impedance headphines, with 24bit+audio, and have wide-Network Coverage" (Network Coverage being all US carriers including CDMA)

In my honest opinion: of you are itching for a new device the LG V20 should be a good choice for the S6 if looking for something larger.

However, if you can wait out: I have a feeling 2017 will the deliver the actual devices that 2016 Hyped up.

Nov 3, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #746 of 4,141
My LG V20 has more drive, is brighter(possibly just a more fuller range but I'm sensitive to treble, so it appears brighter to me). For OEM use S6 is fine for anything more demanding it is very hard to not recommend LGV20 & HTC 10 as a category of "Smartphones that power high impedance headphines, with 24bit+audio, and have wide-Network Coverage" (Network Coverage being all US carriers including CDMA)

In my honest opinion: of you are itching for a new device the LG V20 should be a good choice for the S6 if looking for something larger.

However, if you can wait out: I have a feeling 2017 will the deliver the actual devices that 2016 Hyped up.

I will say the v20 >> htc10 by a wide margin.

Both have a fairly flat response, but the v20 is significantly cleaner and can power a bit more. I can agree that it'll sound brighter if you're treble sensitive or unused to headphones with a really wide response, because the bass/mids are just as potent as ever, just with some extra treble (and even a tad more subbass!). 

I've no doubt 2017 will have even greater devices, and 2018 will beat 17, 2019 over 18, etc etc. If you play the "wait it out" game you'll never be happy. The instant any device is released someone else announces one that's even better.

Do you want an audiophile phone? Get the v20. You will NOT be disappointed. I promise. 

Also, the 2nd Display is SERIOUSLY sweet.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #747 of 4,141
I will say the v20 >> htc10 by a wide margin.

Both have a fairly flat response, but the v20 is significantly cleaner and can power a bit more. I can agree that it'll sound brighter if you're treble sensitive or unused to headphones with a really wide response, because the bass/mids are just as potent as ever, just with some extra treble (and even a tad more subbass!). 

I've no doubt 2017 will have even greater devices, and 2018 will beat 17, 2019 over 18, etc etc. If you play the "wait it out" game you'll never be happy. The instant any device is released someone else announces one that's even better.

Do you want an audiophile phone? Get the v20. You will NOT be disappointed. I promise. 

Also, the 2nd Display is SERIOUSLY sweet.

I agree with much of what you said. The v20 is a really good device but it's not for everyone. The audio is fantastic but one thing to note is that it can really drain the battery. You can swap batteries or quick charge but people who use the audio and are heavy phone users may find it frustrating.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #748 of 4,141
I agree with much of what you said. The v20 is a really good device but it's not for everyone. The audio is fantastic but one thing to note is that it can really drain the battery. You can swap batteries or quick charge but people who use the audio and are heavy phone users may find it frustrating.

Maybe, I admit I haven't noticed it much myself. I was using my phone all day yesterday, went to bed with my headphones in, then woke up and still had about 10% left. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back