LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 2, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #706 of 4,141
PA: Okay, we used a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x studio monitors and played a bunch of lossless FLAC tracks on the HTC 10, the LG V20, and the LG V10. No surprises - the sound from all three came clear, dynamic, and generally quite pleasing. However, if you're like your music really loud, then the HTC 10 will win you over — this one is way louder than either the LG V20 or the V10, almost to the point of physically hurting your ears. That aside, we can't say we could distinguish a stark quality difference between the three as they all performed excellently in terms of hi-fi audio playback. 

PA: While the LG V20 is a rather capable hi-fi device. It will, however, impress you way more if you have a pair of high-impedance headphones and listen to lossless audio tracks. While the HTC 10 is a bit louder, both devices are pretty similar in terms of audio reproduction. For casual listening to music, like streaming Spotify or Google Play Music while on the go,  the V20 is in the same ballpark as any other high-end device.

The M50x are 38 ohms so they were probably getting only normal power with them on the V20.

I'm not doubting their results, but I've come to ignore most opinions about V series audio unless the person specifies which power mode they were actually in (assuming they even know the V10 and V20 have variable output levels).

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #707 of 4,141
I think the lg v20 is pretty close to the ayre codex in sound--at least with my 64 ears a3s and my JH angie 2s. I have compared the sony pha-3 against both of the aforementioned DACs and found that it has a much better soundstage than either.  

Wow. 64 ears. Are you trying out for the new star trek series? Lol.

I really don't get all this discussion about forcing the V20 into high power mode. If your headphones are lower than 50 ohms, then why do you want it?? There should be plenty of volume. That's the point of the system, to push power to those headphones that need it. Are people suggesting that the high power mode = better SQ? Why would it? It just amplifies the sound, doesn't it?

Because people. Stupid.

Taking a chance on blowing their drivers. But I do have to say between my beyerdynamic COPs and DT7700/250o cans, the COPs seem a little bright for normal mode and the COPs are not a bright headphone at all. Very warm, fun sounding and bassy if you want it can. My DT770s on high performance mode sound very neutral and natural and the mids are recessed less. That's my unprofessional opinion and observation but I definitely wouldn't want to push my 16ohm COPs on high performance mode. I've accidentally hit high bias on my C5D amp teice when using my COPs and I was scared that my driver's were blown. Thankfully they weren't.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #708 of 4,141
  Bad news

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-V20-Q-A-Your-questions-answered_id87113

trojan_horse: "How good is it's audio output and how does its DAC compare to the HTC 10's?"

PA: Okay, we used a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x studio monitors and played a bunch of lossless FLAC tracks on the HTC 10, the LG V20, and the LG V10. No surprises - the sound from all three came clear, dynamic, and generally quite pleasing. However, if you're like your music really loud, then the HTC 10 will win you over — this one is way louder than either the LG V20 or the V10, almost to the point of physically hurting your ears. That aside, we can't say we could distinguish a stark quality difference between the three as they all performed excellently in terms of hi-fi audio playback. 

That's not bad news nor is it surprising.

The ATH-M50x is only 38ohm impedence, so it didn't engage any of the V10 or V20 amp boosting. Had they done the simple Aux enable trick it likely would have matched the HTC10, and had they gotten it into high impedence the LGs would have blown away the HTC10. 

Once again, the magic in the V series is hidden within getting the amp engaged in Aux or High Impedence mode. Once you do, its a COMPLETELY different experience.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #709 of 4,141
Because people. Stupid.

I'm not a big fan of amping when unnecessary. In fact 90% of my headphones are IEMs that don't require amping and I have a fiio E12 that sits and collects dust because of that.

However, there is a very real difference in dynamics and sound signature when aux and high impedence mode are engaged on the V10 and V20. I don't believe it's a matter of just more volume on this device. 

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #710 of 4,141
That's not bad news nor is it surprising.

The ATH-M50x is only 38ohm impedence, so it didn't engage any of the V10 or V20 amp boosting. Had they done the simple Aux enable trick it likely would have matched the HTC10, and had they gotten it into high impedence the LGs would have blown away the HTC10. 

Once again, the magic in the V series is hidden within getting the amp engaged in Aux or High Impedence mode. Once you do, its a COMPLETELY different experience.

That experience might be worse for low impedance cans though. Can introduce distortion easily so your point is invalid.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #711 of 4,141
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01552UGSS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1478098542&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX280_SY350_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=fospower%2B3.5mm&dpPl=1&dpID=411nuOWmG0L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I noticed the v10 guys saying this will work to push it into high mode, can anyone confirm?

I have this adapter. It does NOT push you into high impedance mode. However you can use it to get you into External mode. 

If you do have a pair of high impedance headphones, you can use it to keep you in that mode. I connect that extender to my Thinksound ON1 headphones, and plug it into my v20, this triggers high impedence mode. Then I disconnect the thinksounds from the extender and connect whichever headphones I wish to use. Because the extender is never disconnected, the phone stays in high impedence mode.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #713 of 4,141
Nov 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #714 of 4,141
  i too am hoping the V20 automatically goes to high-gain for the P1! ... should be getting my phone tomorrow, so i will test with P1. 

I have the v20 and my P1 will be here tomorrow. I'm curious to see a headphone amp will be needed and of so, which one.

Well Gentlemen (or on the off chance, Ladies), where are we with the V20 + P1?! Does it go into high-gain? Inquiring minds at the mercy of UPS ground cross-country want to know 
gs1000.gif

-Collin-

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #715 of 4,141
Quote:

I'm using it with low impedance cans. So your opinion about my opinion is just that, an opinion. 

To my ears there is no distortion to be heard and the sound is much more dynamic.

I agree. My TH-X00 and EL8 sound "decent" at "Standard Power". Though, when I engage "External Device" power level, they wake up and sound much better. They can actually breath. The bass especially appreciates the extra OOMPH.  I also, do not get any distortion on these headphones.  Now, my Mee M6 Pro... They can get VERY loud with Standard power level, so I wouldn't want to use anything higher with those (16 ohm). I have yet to try the V20 out with my Heir Audio 4.A CIEM or my Philips SHP9500, but I'm sure that they will be fine at Standard power as well.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #716 of 4,141
I don't think that the HTC gets any louder than the v20 in my experience. What I have noticed when listening near max volume is that the HTC sounds a little more unbearable wear the v20 has the same loudness but maybe slightly more comfortable to listen to. Difficult to explain. I don't listen to either at those levels, however, and at my normal listening levels they sound similar in every respect except the HTC has more on the lower end I think.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #717 of 4,141
Guys, impedance adapters impact SQ. You can't just buy any cheapo adapter off ebay and be good. The only one that I know succeeds at maintaining SQ (at least, mostly) is the iFi IEMatch.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #718 of 4,141
  Guys, impedance adapters impact SQ. You can't just buy any cheapo adapter off ebay and be good. The only one that I know succeeds at maintaining SQ (at least, mostly) is the iFi IEMatch.

The iEMatch isn't an impedance adapter. It gets rid of hiss on headphones/earphones when used with noisy amps and only changes impedance by about 3 ohms.

iFi explains it here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/814317/what-the-heck-is-it-ifi-iematch/225#post_12952637

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #720 of 4,141
  Guys, impedance adapters impact SQ. You can't just buy any cheapo adapter off ebay and be good. 

If you're leaving it connected, then you're doing it wrong for the very reason you posted.

Headphone -> Impedance Adapter -> Headphone Extender -> V20

Verify the phone is in High Impedance mode, and leave the extender connected. Now remove the Impedance adapter from the chain and insert the headphones into the extender.

Viola, High Impedance mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back