LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 26, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #526 of 4,141

There is an adapter like that but its not for impedance (at least not enough to have a noticeable impact):
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/814317/what-the-heck-is-it-ifi-iematch/90#post_12795744

It works to get rid of hiss when using too sensitive headphones on too powerful an amp.

Tried mine with the V10 (headphones pre-attached to iematch) and only got normal power. However, aux mode trick works when the adapter is plugged in first.

I wouldn't expect an additional 16 Ohms to trigger high impedance mode. It would be nice for it to be easily switchable with something like this.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #527 of 4,141
How is the mojo compared to the LG v20? I got rid of my mojo and got the HTC m10 because the latter was so close in sound. I am hoping the v20 sounds like the mojo but with even higher noise floor which can help with soundstage, details, etc. Your thoughts?

I have an HTC 10 and took a v20 for a spin today. Different league. The v20 is an absolute beast of a phone for audio. I've never heard a phone sound that good. Not an iPhone, no Samsung, no Sony, no HTC, not even the other LG's. With the HiFi option turned on, it's just incredible. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #528 of 4,141
Oct 26, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #529 of 4,141
I have an HTC 10 and took a v20 for a spin today. Different league. The v20 is an absolute beast of a phone for audio. I've never heard a phone sound that good. Not an iPhone, no Samsung, no Sony, no HTC, not even the other LG's. With the HiFi option turned on, it's just incredible. 

Excellent to know. I am burned out of having a phone, mojo/sony pha-3/etc. To play great audio. Just a hassle to set up, large on desktop, and the USB connections always seem to add in some noise.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #530 of 4,141
Hoping someone with a V20 can take confirm/deny what I'm thinking that I'm hearing.

I've been using a headphone adapter to trick the V10 into aux mode to get an amplification boost. However, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to look into whether or not there was a difference on the v20 between aux and high impedance mode.

So, I attached the headphone adapter to a pair of higher impedance headphones and verified that the Hi-Fi DAC screen said "High Impedance". Then I swapped headphones to my "daily drivers" leaving the adapter plugged in so the phone stayed in high impedance mode.

t seemed like everything was louder, but I wanted to verify. So I made note of what volume level I was at.Then to A/B I unplugged everything and I plugged back in adapter first, then headphones enabling Aux mode. I then set the volume to what I thought was an equal level of loudness. Finally to round out the testing I unplugged everything and plugged the headphones directly into the phone enabling "Normal Hi-Fi Audio" mode and again setting the volume level to match the loudness of the previous 2 tests.

Outcome: High Impedance, Aux Mode, and "Normal" mode are all different levels of power, with high impedance mode being the loudest and most dynamic.

Volume Levels:

High Impedance: 30

Aux: 40

Normal: Somewhere between 45 and 50. 

Now, the only actual test equipment used was my fallible human ear. But I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or has a better way of proving it. Because, If this indeed is the case, I'm wondering if I need a different set of adapters to fool the phone into high impedance mode all of the time instead of just Aux mode.

That is very useful information. I just had a listen in a store, and I was only able to try normal and aux by unplugging my headphones from the cable before attaching the phone. Then the aux was louder, but only iPhone 7 / HTC 10 levels. High impedance sounds like it is usefully louder.

I don't want to damage my hearing. I want to drive some insensitive headphones which are also low impedance with quiet tracks.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #533 of 4,141
Got the V20 yesterday and been listening the whole day today. My headphones are the SE846 and IE 800, and my typical DAC is the micro idsd. First impression is that the sub-bass and soundstage are meh (compared to the idsd), but the detail and clarity (especially treble) is where it should be. I tried the Dragonfly Red before and would say they're similar.

But that isn't to say I expected it to reach idsd levels, I'm very satisfied with what could be pulled off with a phone. I used the HTC 10 before and while both DACs are detailed, LG's sounds fuller. The 10 sounded confined to me.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #534 of 4,141
Got the V20 yesterday and been listening the whole day today. My headphones are the SE846 and IE 800, and my typical DAC is the micro idsd. First impression is that the sub-bass and soundstage are meh (compared to the idsd), but the detail and clarity (especially treble) is where it should be. I tried the Dragonfly Red before and would say they're similar.

But that isn't to say I expected it to reach idsd levels, I'm very satisfied with what could be pulled off with a phone. I used the HTC 10 before and while both DACs are detailed, LG's sounds fuller. The 10 sounded confined to me.

Were you utilizing the dac on external or normal?

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #535 of 4,141
Were you utilizing the dac on external or normal?

Tried both ways, didn't notice a difference in SQ. FYI, I have an iFi IEMatch that toggles it as "external". Should there be a difference??

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #538 of 4,141
I have had many DACs and recently have used the chord mojo with my htc m10 until i noticed that the m10 was so close to the mojo that I decided to reduce, although I am hoping the v20 adds some more. I have been into audio for the last few years and have come far but still don't notice subtleties that most people describe as "IMOP". Hopefully the v20 can be an all-in-one that satisfies

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #539 of 4,141
  I have had many DACs and recently have used the chord mojo with my htc m10 until i noticed that the m10 was so close to the mojo that I decided to reduce, although I am hoping the v20 adds some more. I have been into audio for the last few years and have come far but still don't notice subtleties that most people describe as "IMOP". Hopefully the v20 can be an all-in-one that satisfies

You mean the HTC 10? I enjoyed the 10's sound as well, but it's no where near the Mojo's performance. Think you need to give it more time :)

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #540 of 4,141

You mean the HTC 10? I enjoyed the 10's sound as well, but it's no where near the Mojo's performance. Think you need to give it more time :)

you are probably right...I listen to a lot of music but am probably not considered to be a critical listener, so the differences I prefer have to be pretty apparent. I also don't generally listen to the same music over and over again, so I have a hard time picking a reference music. I notice a big difference with tube amps, switching speakers/headphones, home theater processors, etc. but some equipment may need more critical listening.  I think i notice the following the most, in no particular order:

1. Soundstage
2. noise floor
3. treble peaks--lack smoothness

So when those factors change I am pretty aware and happy.  Ultimately hoping the v20 can provide an upgrade from the m10 in the three mentioned categories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back