LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 14, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #4,126 of 4,141
thank you for the recommendations and informations! I'm sure gonna read this thread more. The one v20 I'm waiting for is a h910 AT&T, I'm very hopeful that I will enjoy it :ksc75smile: I see that you prefer the nougat version but Is there a considered best android version for a v20 used only for dap amp? would be the nougat one? I wonder which version mine will come with and if it would be possible to downgrade it (just out of curiosity). I also see people saying that they like to root it, but until now I didnt see a reason that would make me want to do that (considering also that is not something easy to do)
Again thank you!

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #4,127 of 4,141
thank you for the recommendations and informations! I'm sure gonna read this thread more. The one v20 I'm waiting for is a h910 AT&T, I'm very hopeful that I will enjoy it :ksc75smile: I see that you prefer the nougat version but Is there a considered best android version for a v20 used only for dap amp? would be the nougat one? I wonder which version mine will come with and if it would be possible to downgrade it (just out of curiosity). I also see people saying that they like to root it, but until now I didnt see a reason that would make me want to do that (considering also that is not something easy to do)
Again thank you!
Android s/w versions are a confounding bag: many new apps have prerequisite of later Android iterations to even download; if your OS is old enough, like V20, Google or your carrier won't even cater to upgrades; OTOH, later OS's facilitate faster online operations AND greater security. I checked a year ago at local TMob shops, and they tell me I'm (happily) stuck with whatever is on my V20. I attempted to "downgrade" my Nougat > Oreo push by even sending it back to LG: they told me "no dice", and online searches only indicate freakish rooting & snaring OS's from scary sites as only possibilities. If FM isn't a deal-breaker for you (don't know if 910 ever even had FM), and you're only after musicolet & online streaming, "the later the OS, the better" for you - I only prefer Nougat because it still has a functional FM. Beware of rooting: if you get desired result, it's great - if not, you wind up holding a brick that won't restore original capabilities or be ineligible for carrier features (if you use it as a phone, too) or Google Play apk downloads. I only turn on ANY connectivity for the limited time I reach out to my favorite online music sites, like Tidal & Qobuz: I'm otherwise isolated from The World (also eliminates any ads or promotions).

I say: drag your favorite tunes onto a microSD, shove it in the slot & enjoy.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #4,129 of 4,141
I see, yeah I don't think I will bother about the android version or to root the v20. I will just try to make sure the quad dac is working properly.

that exactly what I'm planning to do :L3000:
If you think you're having difficulties activating the Quad DAC with low-Z cans, just search this thread for all the tricks - the fellas have spelled out some really good solutions.

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #4,130 of 4,141
If you think you're having difficulties activating the Quad DAC with low-Z cans, just search this thread for all the tricks - the fellas have spelled out some really good solutions.

I'll sure do! I already did some reading and found very interesting posts, but still need to read more to really understand how utilize the quad dac. But as of right now I concluded that the quad dac will be enable when the sign showed in this post appears on my v20, is that right?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #4,131 of 4,141
I'll sure do! I already did some reading and found very interesting posts, but still need to read more to really understand how utilize the quad dac. But as of right now I concluded that the quad dac will be enable when the sign showed in this post appears on my v20, is that right?
Yup. But you'll need to "trick" it to get that indication when you just slide a 16Ω can into the jack. Just follow the tricks in this thread.

Dec 16, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #4,132 of 4,141
As an LG V-series enthusiast, I'm more than happy to answer questions. Thanks for pointing out the FM radio, I didn't know that, as I only care about hi-res audio. Someone said that the Korean version is tuned different. I wholeheartedly agree, the difference is huge. I didn't like the US version and returned it. I got LG V10 F600 and V20 F800, both are Korean versions. The latter successfully updated to Android 9. I bought three of each! I still prefer V10 by a large margin, V60 coming second.
On all versions, connect headphones and turn manually the quad DAC on upon prompted to. If not, search the menus. If your headphones have a detachable cable, connect it first to the phone, and only then plug the cable back in the headphones. This triggers AUX mode every time. While impedance adapters don't always trigger high impedance mode. They are also heavy and wear down the headphone jack. UAPP is useless on V-series. Of all players, the LG integrated one is easily the best sounding.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #4,133 of 4,141
As an LG V-series enthusiast, I'm more than happy to answer questions. Thanks for pointing out the FM radio, I didn't know that, as I only care about hi-res audio. Someone said that the Korean version is tuned different. I wholeheartedly agree, the difference is huge. I didn't like the US version and returned it. I got LG V10 F600 and V20 F800, both are Korean versions. The latter successfully updated to Android 9. I bought three of each! I still prefer V10 by a large margin, V60 coming second.
On all versions, connect headphones and turn manually the quad DAC on upon prompted to. If not, search the menus. If your headphones have a detachable cable, connect it first to the phone, and only then plug the cable back in the headphones. This triggers AUX mode every time. While impedance adapters don't always trigger high impedance mode. They are also heavy and wear down the headphone jack. UAPP is useless on V-series. Of all players, the LG integrated one is easily the best sounding.
My only reason for the FM is that I have a few very good local classical & jazz (& techno) FM stations whose on-air SQ through ANY phone that receives terrestrial FM is vastly superior to those stations' online signal; of course, local radio surely won't matter to most (some great FM in Chicago & NYC, for sure). And, yes, the LG music player sounds great - my prime reason for Neutron is its fabulous folders indexing scheme, and I can deactivate all metadata, for which I have no use.
And, yep - the cable trick is easiest if it's detachable; however, experience shows insertion & extraction of a 3½mm plug will shorten the life of a phone's jack.
I've heard a lot of really good stuff about the Korean versions, but figure it's too risky trying to cull them out here in the U.S. from online sellers. [my very recently acquired new-in-box 918 model with Nougat differs in many ways from my originally purchased 918 V20, so my confidence in today's marketed P/Ns is not good]

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #4,135 of 4,141
so it's best to never take out the phone plug? or try to reduce insertion and extraction?
I only say that because failure of the earbud jack is one of the most common physical reasons cell phones are replaced - just down the list from busted screens & waterlogging. My V20 is a dedicated music player, so the cord that connects to my amp often stays plugged in & unstressed for weeks. Folks who use them as daily phones don't have that choice. I've torn into a few cell phones, and describing the receptacle crimped or soldered to the board to accept an earbud plug as "minimalist" would be a compliment.

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #4,138 of 4,141
I'm having a continuous bootloop issue with my V20 recently. I tried hard resetting it and the bootloop issue persist. If someone has a solution to this bootloop issue, I would be most grateful if you can share it here.
I've had bootloop issues in the past with cheap aftermarket batteries. When i put the OEM battery back in, it boots up fine. I just wanted to point this out, in case you just bought an aftermarket battery and are having this issue. Otherwise, I don't have any other thoughts to add. Good luck, and let us know how you resolved it!

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #4,139 of 4,141
Trust measurements more than anything. The Perfine 4.1 Ah took about 20 Wh to fully charge (that means at least one hour after hitting 100%). That's significantly more than anything the original 3.2 Ah one can achieve. Not to mention how many original batteries for the v10 had below 40% actual capacity. And we're sealed, original, manufactured last year, etc. I knew that even before becoming electrical engineer.
Any update for 2024? Battery lg v20, thank you for your expertise.

In my country, there is 7800mAh but customers review bad mAh, battery drops fast.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #4,140 of 4,141
Why my v20 doesn't have low/aux/high mode option?
IMG_20240329_223213.jpg

Stock Android 9.
Flac 16/44.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back