LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 13, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #4,112 of 4,141
Hey all,
I hadn't been using my V20 as much, but wanted to get back to using it. I tried to do a search, but I could not find a result for my query.
My question is: What volume setting should I set on my Quad DAC so that when I use the 3.5mm adapter with RCA ends to connect to an electrostatic energizer, that I will get line-out volume so that I can then use the electrostatic amp to control the volume? I was guessing 60 or 65 out of the max of 75?
I am also getting the "external audio device is connected", although I was hoping it would trigger the high impedance mode. I know about the Y-cable trick, but didn't know if it was worth introducing into the chain, since I will be controlling the volume on the amp. It does beg an interesting question, which is that should the line-out volume setting be the same for the external audio device setting as it would be for the high-impedance setting?
Prior to this, I had been using a USB-C cable to connect the V20 to a Chord Mojo, which then went to the Stax amp, and then to my SR-009s. The Mojo can be set to line-out by pressing all three balls at the same time when powering on. I know this is likely a better setup, but sometimes when the Mojo battery is depleted, I want the option of being able to take advantage of the Quad DAC.

Thank you!
Just gotta be in "high impedance mode" if using TRS jack - I got a coupla dirt-cheap 4" 60Ω male-to-female in-line TRS cords, forever taking worry out of trying to force quad implementation; however, I now only have one can well under 300Ω.

Won't make any difference with USB signal, but you'll want to maximize volume setting whenever you're depending on the 3.5 jack for your signal. Can't pin them down today, but I've read many tech missives stipulating that the full digital signal is only at max volume setting - just use the downstream amp for volume control. That info s/b buried in the early pages of this old V20 thread. I dinked with the vol settings a few years ago, and it was immediately clear that lowering volume outta the 3.5mm increasingly clamped down dynamic range & freq spectrum as it is lowered from max setting - you can validate this if you have good amp & cans: you'll simply detect "something's increasingly missing" in SQ listening to familiar music.

"External Audio Device" is only good news - it means the V20 has detected a very high impedance client, and should default at quad implementation.

I come from a different perspective as most on this board, because I have used my V20 exclusively as a music player since new (V30 & V40 backup). More on that, I'd guess most V20s today have been rode hard & put up wet if pressed into daily cell phone duty. Might wanna check out Sammy's or Sony's recent product - you'll still get great SQ outta USB and can use latest music player apps.

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #4,113 of 4,141
Hey all,
I hadn't been using my V20 as much, but wanted to get back to using it. I tried to do a search, but I could not find a result for my query.
My question is: What volume setting should I set on my Quad DAC so that when I use the 3.5mm adapter with RCA ends to connect to an electrostatic energizer, that I will get line-out volume so that I can then use the electrostatic amp to control the volume? I was guessing 60 or 65 out of the max of 75?
I am also getting the "external audio device is connected", although I was hoping it would trigger the high impedance mode. I know about the Y-cable trick, but didn't know if it was worth introducing into the chain, since I will be controlling the volume on the amp. It does beg an interesting question, which is that should the line-out volume setting be the same for the external audio device setting as it would be for the high-impedance setting?
Prior to this, I had been using a USB-C cable to connect the V20 to a Chord Mojo, which then went to the Stax amp, and then to my SR-009s. The Mojo can be set to line-out by pressing all three balls at the same time when powering on. I know this is likely a better setup, but sometimes when the Mojo battery is depleted, I want the option of being able to take advantage of the Quad DAC.

Thank you!
I think it may be possible to get 1v or 2v out of the V20 with the cable you described. It has been a while since I owned the V20.

What I would do is use your cable and put the volume at about 98% on the V20. This should provide a very good S/N ratio feed and enough voltage to run the amp to its full output. If you find the volume control on the amp to be too low then back the V20 volume down a touch.

I also used a mojo back in the day, but it randomly disconnected too many times due to movement in my pocket on walks. That is when I discovered the V series. Still have 2 LG G7 thinQs which I use.

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #4,114 of 4,141
Can you advise me where to buy batteries for my beloved V20 (even non-original ones)? In the last 2 years I have purchased 6 (original or otherwise) but they all have a ridiculous duration... if I turn on the screen after two hours it's over. Thank you.

Oct 14, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #4,115 of 4,141
Perfine store from AliExpress. After 5 full charge and discharge cycles, they really show 4100 mAh! I couldn't believe it. I bought 10 of them. I haven't bought the extended one. It turns the phone in a brick and lasts for 3 days, so I have read over forums. Not to mention the absolutely new V20 phones for 70$ each. I bought 3. The Korean version works great in Europe and I updated to Android 9 via LG Bridge. Unlike the Korean V10...

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #4,116 of 4,141
Perfine store from AliExpress. After 5 full charge and discharge cycles, they really show 4100 mAh! I couldn't believe it. I bought 10 of them. I haven't bought the extended one. It turns the phone in a brick and lasts for 3 days, so I have read over forums. Not to mention the absolutely new V20 phones for 70$ each. I bought 3. The Korean version works great in Europe and I updated to Android 9 via LG Bridge. Unlike the Korean V10...
Need more specifics: Perfine store shows nada in "battery" "batteries" nor "V20".

Polky74, I've bought my 2 batteries from Amazon based on good buyer reviews - they're pretty cheap, and I can afford to swap 'em out or recharge for music use (might not be a good solution if I used it as a phone all day long).

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #4,117 of 4,141
Oct 14, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #4,120 of 4,141
Can you advise me where to buy batteries for my beloved V20 (even non-original ones)? In the last 2 years I have purchased 6 (original or otherwise) but they all have a ridiculous duration... if I turn on the screen after two hours it's over. Thank you.
Try the ifixit website. They did have batteries for the g7 last time I checked, maybe they will have some for the v20. I think I would trust them as a source more than any of the other usual suspects.

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #4,121 of 4,141
Trust measurements more than anything. The Perfine 4.1 Ah took about 20 Wh to fully charge (that means at least one hour after hitting 100%). That's significantly more than anything the original 3.2 Ah one can achieve. Not to mention how many original batteries for the v10 had below 40% actual capacity. And we're sealed, original, manufactured last year, etc. I knew that even before becoming electrical engineer.

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #4,123 of 4,141
Hi guys, thank you for your responses. I will set the volume to max and attenuate the volume from the Stax amp.
The reason why I asked was that there is quite some debate on the interwebz that setting it to max volume might drive it to clipping.
I know for digital signal, max is recommended, but since the V20 headphone jack and control are analog, I assumed that this would be a concern to go all the way to the 75 level max on our phones.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #4,124 of 4,141
Hi all! I'm really happy to see this thread.

Recently I bought a LG v20 from ebay and I'm waiting for it to arrive. This the page of the product that I bought. The seller says its "New Sealed", but I'm kind skeptical about that. I saw two videos on YouTube (here and here) that a person made and it he thinks that those so called new LG V20 are just refurbished ones. Anyway, I'm ok with that, as long as the cellphone has the quad dac and functions as a music player normally. I'm not interested in using as a cellphone to call people, or to take pictures or install other apps. I just want it to use it as a DAP/PMP.

I was just wondering, when I have the v20 in hands, if I need to do anything to activate the quad dac. Or if it activates automatically upon playing music.

My favorite music player is musicolet. I understand that there are more technical music player apps like usb music player that activates the quad dac, but I just love the design of musicolet despite not having a lot of audiophile options. Will musicolet being able to use the quad dac?

If anyone can help me with that I'd be really glad!

mood: anxious for the arrival of my v20 :ksc75smile:

edit: just to add that my library is of flac files

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #4,125 of 4,141
Hi all! I'm really happy to see this thread.

Recently I bought a LG v20 from ebay and I'm waiting for it to arrive. This the page of the product that I bought. The seller says its "New Sealed", but I'm kind skeptical about that. I saw two videos on YouTube (here and here) that a person made and it he thinks that those so called new LG V20 are just refurbished ones. Anyway, I'm ok with that, as long as the cellphone has the quad dac and functions as a music player normally. I'm not interested in using as a cellphone to call people, or to take pictures or install other apps. I just want it to use it as a DAP/PMP.

I was just wondering, when I have the v20 in hands, if I need to do anything to activate the quad dac. Or if it activates automatically upon playing music.

My favorite music player is musicolet. I understand that there are more technical music player apps like usb music player that activates the quad dac, but I just love the design of musicolet despite not having a lot of audiophile options. Will musicolet being able to use the quad dac?

If anyone can help me with that I'd be really glad!

mood: anxious for the arrival of my v20 :ksc75smile:

edit: just to add that my library is of flac files
You have some questions which suggest you may not have utilized a cell phone as a music player. I just HAPPEN to have just received a TMob V20 (918) offa ebay from an identical promotion. I already had an "original" V20 dedicated to music on which I foolishly accepted a Nougat > Oreo upgrade 2 yrs ago that changed many things, like disabling the fabulous FM radio. The V20 I received last week HAS the FM and (the reason for V phones) the Quad DAC. It comes with NO user guide beyond basic instruction on how to "fire it up" - I recommend downloading the very sizable pdf manual from either LG or one of the mobile carrier sites. Basically, the Quad DAC will kick in automatically whenever an impedance is detected (comfortably) above 50Ω (mine are 600Ω). There are several "tricks" to activate the Quad DAC, which you'll find discussed many places in this long V20 thread. And, yes, the Quad DAC is the primary feature of this phone. My new V20 arrived, to all appearances, sealed-as-new: the phone was "rattling" in the box, but everything I see indicates it is likely a mfgr re-pak - a very convincing one. Still has Nougat & FM radio, which even suggests it is "new old stock", because a refurb would surely have a later s/w pack. I'm just getting it configured this week (with Neutron), so I haven't wrung out everything. It definitely "looks" different in a number of ways, the most pressing that it doesn't (yet) display "per centage batt left" on home screen.

My short bkgnd: the V20 music processing is the finest I've heard to date outta ANYTHING, including the V30, V40, & V60 I purchased when my V20 went South. I'm hoping this new one has the same music treatment the old one has (it's still great as a player). My "other" concern is that the new V20 is lighter in weight than the old one - I've yet to find scales that reveal how much. Nevertheless, I'm very hopeful ! Again, there's a lotta info in this big thread - don't be afraid to dig in & search. musicolet should pass through the Quad DAC just fine. Also keep in mind that the Quad DAC will no longer be in play if you plan to connect to an outboard processor of any kind via USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back