LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Sep 14, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #2,911 of 3,525
Are you speaking about the standard Play Store app or the Alpha version?

I find Poweramp Alpha's sound is superior to UAPP.

Alpha version of power amp use the one I'm using, it could be your IEM'S/or headphones, or your taste.

Maybe try Alsa with it if you can. However on high end iem's, there's a clearer sound for sure through UAPP to these ears. (I'll double check again later)

From what I can gather UAPP can output high resolution audio strait through Android and it's crystal clear high res.
In settings/Android sample rate, then select variable bit rate. And the high res data should play direct through the ESS DAC.

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #2,912 of 3,525
True. I think UAPP is the closest app for getting bit-perfect. It's also the first and (afaik) only app with Tidal integration.

Afaik, Poweramp Alpha doesn't stream Tidal (or anything else) and you have to adjust several settings deep within it to get the best sound (like enabling hi-res output). With default settings, I agree UAPP has some advantages.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2,913 of 3,525
I didn't think of the need to adjust settings to optimise the audio.
It would be nice if the install optimised your usage automatically.

It is very hard with such a big range Android hardware to keep everything compatible.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #2,914 of 3,525
The Alpha still sounds great with no tweaking and some of the settings like hi-res weren't available until the last update.

I know the app maker is working to add support for the specific ESS chip in the V10 and other chips for other phones. That may explain why the Alpha version hasn't migrated to the Play Store yet. If the app is someday able to directly use the extra hardware Poweramp's sound quality could become untouchable.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #2,915 of 3,525
The Alpha still sounds great with no tweaking and some of the settings like hi-res weren't available until the last update.

I know the app maker is working to add support for the specific ESS chip in the V10 and other chips for other phones. That may explain why the Alpha version hasn't migrated to the Play Store yet. If the app is someday able to directly use the extra hardware Poweramp's sound quality could become untouchable.

I am looking forward to this version, keep us posted...

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,920 of 3,525
Sep 19, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,922 of 3,525
It does not. It just incorrectly labels everything 24-bit Snapdragon.

The Hi-Res output option for Poweramp utilizes the Hi-fi DAC of the V10, correct? I'm confused because the DAC of the V10 is 32 bit but it only shows up as 24 bit on Poweramp. I've had this pairing for months now, but am only now just attempting to fully explore it. Just assumed it was always working to it's maximum potential.

Also have a separate amp paired (VorzAMP duo) if that makes a difference.

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #2,923 of 3,525
43% of the way up. Plenty of power for the Q701, and sounds great. Still love this combination.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #2,924 of 3,525
ok i just ordered one! 310 on Amazon for an open box haha!

anyway, are you guys rooting/installing newer Android versions on your V10's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back