LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Sep 14, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #2,896 of 3,525
I can confirm the dac works with Tidal and Spotifi. No need for any app though you need an "adapter" to activate the hifi dac. Hopefully this will not be necessary with the V20.

To prevent any confusion: it's the high gain mode of the amp that you need to use an adapter or rooted system to activate as you please.

The ESS DAC itself can be turned on or off as you please in the system drop down menu.

And if you are not rooted or using an adapter, you can get high gain mode if you use headphones greater than 70ish ohms impedance. and the high gain amp works regardless of what software is being used as long as you have hifi dac turned on. Hifi DAC is the name of the menu option...

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #2,897 of 3,525
I can confirm the dac works with Tidal and Spotifi. No need for any app though you need an "adapter" to activate the hifi dac. Hopefully this will not be necessary with the V20.

To prevent any confusion: it's the high gain mode of the amp that you need to use an adapter or rooted system to activate as you please.

The ESS DAC itself can be turned on or off as you please in the system drop down menu.

And if you are not rooted or using an adapter, you can get high gain mode if you use headphones greater than 70ish ohms impedance. and the high gain amp works regardless of what software is being used as long as you have hifi dac turned on. Hifi DAC is the name of the menu option...

Sorry for the wrong wording i didn't mean high gain. You need a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KE5NJ7W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage to truly activate the hifi dac. Its not enough just to turn it on and of in the menu at least not on mine V10.

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #2,898 of 3,525

Hifi dac can easily be switched on/off with ANY 3.5mm plugged in.

Only need a 3.5mm adapter or extender (or plug V10 end in first if headphone cable is removable) to activate more power from the internal amp (for lower impedance headphones).

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #2,899 of 3,525
More power:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance/360#post_12119129

Anyone new to the V10 really should be checking the links on page 1 (that @Baycode took the time to organize and link).

At some point, myself and others will stop replying when the same questions are repeatedly posted because people don't bother to check the thread's front page wiki.

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #2,902 of 3,525
Is there a difference in sound between poweramp and UAPP with the lg v10?

To me, UAPP has the edge on audio quality, it has a best sound compared to all the other apps I have used on the v10. The equalizer works great as well. It also has a gain adjustment and
Clipping light in the EQ panel to avoid distortion. Great music player.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #2,904 of 3,525
wow it does sound nicer 

It completes the v10, as a DAP, I'm wishing Davey, the brains behind this UAPP, optimises it for some of these lg audio DAP's like the V10 and takes control of the amplifier gain in the app. And includes single digit volume steps up to 100 steps.

Works great in its current form, I would recommend purchasing the app:thumbsup:

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #2,906 of 3,525
Yeah the UI takes some getting used to, and isn't as funky, but the sound is so much better compared to Poweramp.

Alsa is a great app as well, we are spoilt with this v10, once it's set up and burnt in.
I can confirm UAPP also seems to pass high resolution audio strait to the DAC, in Android.
Glad to be of some assistance.

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #2,910 of 3,525
UAPP's UI is quite poor but it's the only app I know of that integrates with Tidal and will send bit perfect output to the V10's DAC forcing it to 44100hz. The V10 DAC's sample rate set by Android is 48000hz but the music I listen to is 44100hz so having UAPP play 44100hz and the DAC process it natively without resampling is a plus. I am not familiar with PowerAmp Alpha or Onkyo HF Player, do they have this ability? Do either of them have Tidal integration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back