LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Sep 12, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #2,866 of 3,525
I used to think double-amping was bad, but I have some friends who've done it without great results.

Are there any drawbacks?

I'm okay with this solution until I get my Schiit Jotunheim in November.

The main reason people discourage douple amping is because it has the potential to amplify unwanted sounds like interference or noise. There is also no bypassing the first amp in the chain so if it makes noise or sounds crappy youre stuck.

That does not mean it is always bad. There are plenty of occasions where double amping can sound just fine.

Maybe tonight ill amp my v10 just for fun.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #2,867 of 3,525
@shuto77 I did some V10 amping just for you :)

With low power/low gain amps there was almost no intermittent norms. I'd recommending HiFi DAC and keeping the volume fairly high but not at maximum.

You should have a good result. IF you experience interference or buzzing, experiment until you find out how to get it to stop.

It's different for everybody as everyone' phones have antennas in difference place and people's cells operate on different channels.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #2,868 of 3,525
Is anyone here connecting their V10 directly to a headphone amp? If so, how are you doing it, and how's it working out? I have a 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable I'm thinking of testing this with.

I connect my V10 to my Fiio E12, and the aux mode is just fine for what i need.  As stated, the external amp in the chain will amplify the good and the bad, so i try to keep the output as low as possible on the phone (to avoid distortion there, and limit signal noise) while keeping it loud enough that i don't need to go full volume on my FIIO (which would just increase distortion there...

Keep in mind, i use this setup for my LCD-2 cans (and sometimes my HD650s), so they are power hungry.  The V10 actually does an amazing job with its onboard amp, and does a respectable job with all my cans when i am just out and about..

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #2,869 of 3,525
@shuto77
I did some V10 amping just for you :)

With low power/low gain amps there was almost no intermittent norms. I'd recommending HiFi DAC and keeping the volume fairly high but not at maximum.

You should have a good result. IF you experience interference or buzzing, experiment until you find out how to get it to stop.

It's different for everybody as everyone' phones have antennas in difference place and people's cells operate on different channels.

I connect my V10 to my Fiio E12, and the aux mode is just fine for what i need.  As stated, the external amp in the chain will amplify the good and the bad, so i try to keep the output as low as possible on the phone (to avoid distortion there, and limit signal noise) while keeping it loud enough that i don't need to go full volume on my FIIO (which would just increase distortion there...

Keep in mind, i use this setup for my LCD-2 cans (and sometimes my HD650s), so they are power hungry.  The V10 actually does an amazing job with its onboard amp, and does a respectable job with all my cans when i am just out and about..

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

I'm going to pick up a desktop amp, but I can't swing a dedicated DAC as well. Glad to hear this is doable for the V10.

I'll report back when I get the amp.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2,870 of 3,525
I plug my V10 into my cars aux input and I enable hifi and I put it at full volume. It sounds great like this.

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #2,873 of 3,525

I wish I could do that in my car. The Bluetooth on my Infiniti is terrible. I'd love to be able to output the audio signal through a simple interconnect cable. 

Your car doesn't have an aux input?

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #2,874 of 3,525
I'm planning to buy the V10 and use it with my HD598 and MDR-1A.
Will they work on high impedance mode? The HD598 is 50 Ohm and on paper the MDR-1A is 48 Ohm, but measured with a multimeter it reads 50. I know the impedance isn't measured like that but, maybe it will pass into high impedance.
Also high vs. normal mode, is it only a difference in volume or other sound characteristics as well?

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #2,875 of 3,525
Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

I'm going to pick up a desktop amp, but I can't swing a dedicated DAC as well. Glad to hear this is doable for the V10.

I'll report back when I get the amp.

Not sure what your budget is but, if it will stretch to a Chord Mojo, taking a digital signal from the LG V10 to that would, I think, be a far better option.  I use the Mojo with all my cans from IEMs to LCD2s, HD650s and Alpha Dogs and there's more than enough power for all these and they all sound fantastic.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,876 of 3,525
  I'm planning to buy the V10 and use it with my HD598 and MDR-1A.
Will they work on high impedance mode? The HD598 is 50 Ohm and on paper the MDR-1A is 48 Ohm, but measured with a multimeter it reads 50. I know the impedance isn't measured like that but, maybe it will pass into high impedance.
Also high vs. normal mode, is it only a difference in volume or other sound characteristics as well?

Yes, you will get high impedance with the 598. I've used mine plenty of times with the V10.

EDIT: Don't have the MDR-1A but in my experience the V10 tends to round out the estimated ohm specs. Each individual headphone is different so no way to be sure until you try it with your pair. I have a pair of 48 ohm gaming headphones that give high mode but I've also read a post where someone couldn't get high power using a similar spec headphone.

High mode has both more volume and better sound characteristics (more dynamic, better separation, etc.; just like if you were using a decent external amp).

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,877 of 3,525

Your car doesn't have an aux input?

Even if it does it might be junk. My car's aux input, I found, only is worth using if you have a DAP that can push a line out signal. Anything intended for headphone use you have to crank to max and turn the car stereo to max and it's still not loud enough.

Glad to see some HD598 talk here - i have a set on the way, but it's got a buzzy left driver, so i'm gonna have to fix it before I can enjoy with V10.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #2,878 of 3,525
I know the Snapdragon 820 is newer and faster than the 808 in the V10 but just realized the 820 has 2 fewer cores than the 808.

Many clamored for the faster (and hotter) 820 when the V10 was released but no one mentioned that would have given the V10 a quad-core cpu instead of the hexa-core it has.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,880 of 3,525
I know the Snapdragon 820 is newer and faster than the 808 in the V10 but just realized the 820 has 2 fewer cores than the 808.

Many clamored for the faster (and hotter) 820 when the V10 was released but no one mentioned that would have given the V10 a quad-core cpu instead of the hexa-core it has.

I've never found the V10 to suffer from having the Snapdragon 808. It's more than adequate for daily use, but then again I don't play any CPU intensive games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back