LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jul 13, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #2,612 of 3,525
  Thanks audioxxx
I think i dont need any from your mentioned, just need good sound ,high volume i'm using it as a DAP only.

There are still benefit of rooting when you use it as DAP only. Mainly would be the permission to edit the Mixer_paths.xml file which turns normal mode of hifi DAC mode into Aux or High Impedance mode. The Sabre DAC only kicks in in Aux or High impedance mode. And it does make a big difference. Of course you can still use an extra aux cable and voicemail hack or a high impedence headphones to get the aux or high impedance mode. But for me, I can utilise the Amp section just by plugging in my iem without extra aux cable or hassle. 
Second reason for root would probably be viper4android. I dont use it though. But people do says it makes a difference with correct tweaking. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #2,614 of 3,525
That's why i mentioned with the correct tweaking. VIPER provides more options to the user to alter the sound. If you do it right, u might find a sound that suits you the best. I am not using it coz I dun really like the hassle to do the tweaking, I love how the music sounds like and how my headphones sounds like. But it's all comes down to preference, viper is just an option for you to explore more possibilities. For me, Poweramp is just perfect enuf for my LG portable listening.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #2,615 of 3,525
It's worth rooting your V10 now so you can run Alsa app on 0 to 20 in the master volume script,(depending on your headphones/iem's) and wow this sounds unreal :sunglasses:

Even at the lower volumes there's a more dynamic sound which brings the V10 to life. And makes the music much more enjoyable. This is highly recommended, if you own a LG V10.

You have done well Kosan....:smirk_cat:

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #2,616 of 3,525
Pff.. its worth rooting for system level ad-blocking, let alone audio tweaking. :wink:

As for the settings going away on reboot, i wonder if that is something that an ap like Tasker or IFFT could help with (restore settings on boot kinda thing)

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,617 of 3,525
My experiences:

I found viper disabled the amp, but not the DAC if I remember correctly. I was a big viper fan, but once I figured that out, I had to dump it. I also don't like the limiter on viper that you can't control.

So I installed the PowerAmp Alpha and dug into its settings and eq. After spending an hour, I was able to edit it so it sounded way better than viper. I was surprised. I was able to use the eq and limiter to get the bass as strong as viper, but without the mids and highs cutting out when the bass hit(limiter).

I don't feel like Alsa does anything for the amp, it just increases the volume of the DAC. I'd like to be wrong, but that's what I'm experiencing on my rooted MM.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,618 of 3,525
My experiences:

I found viper disabled the amp, but not the DAC if I remember correctly. I was a big viper fan, but once I figured that out, I had to dump it. I also don't like the limiter on viper that you can't control.

So I installed the PowerAmp Alpha and dug into its settings and eq. After spending an hour, I was able to edit it so it sounded way better than viper. I was surprised. I was able to use the eq and limiter to get the bass as strong as viper, but without the mids and highs cutting out when the bass hit(limiter).

I don't feel like Alsa does anything for the amp, it just increases the volume of the DAC. I'd like to be wrong, but that's what I'm experiencing on my rooted MM.

OMG! U had rooted your MM? I am still desperately waiting for the root for MM. Mind sharing your method or link regarding the root? Would be much appreciate.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,620 of 3,525
My experiences:

I seriously can't see how Viper would disable the amplifier... It's all software/Android audio routing that is done way before it gets anywhere close to the DAC/Amp.
Also I can confirm the Mixer_paths.xml/ALSAMixer method is some form of Analog gain control as I can hear the noise floor change while playing a silent audio track as I change the ES9018 Volume value. I'm not sure if this is changing the analog gain of the DAC's output or the analog gain of the amplifiers output though, I assume they're pretty highly integrated with each other so probably the latter

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #2,621 of 3,525
OMG! U had rooted your MM? I am still desperately waiting for the root for MM. Mind sharing your method or link regarding the root? Would be much appreciate.

For those of you with the European version (H960A) I just rooted my V10 using the instructions in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/development/recovery-twrp-v3-0-2-0-unofficial-t3387783 It's possible as LG has allowed the H960A to have the bootloader unlocked which is required for root using this method. Please read all the warnings!

I'm just experimenting with Alsamixer and editing the mixer paths file. I'll report my impressions when I've had a chance to give it a good listen.

I'm fairly new to the Android world so this has been a great learning experience. For on the go use the V10 is a great audio player.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #2,622 of 3,525
Yeah, this is upsetting, that LG will only release the bootloader's for H960A and not the other versions, not sure what's up with that?

This seems to be holding the show up on such a great device, it is a shame to limit the possibility of all the other versions of the V10. This is what seems to be going on.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,623 of 3,525
Yeah, this is upsetting, that LG will only release the bootloader's for H960A and not the other versions, not sure what's up with that?

This seems to be holding the show up on such a great device, it is a shame to limit the possibility of all the other versions of the V10. This is what seems to be going on.

Yes it is a shame and having the H960A was just a fluke on my part. I ordered mine from BHPHOTO and just wanted one that was compatible with the LTE carrier frequencies in Mexico. Just good luck on my part as I didn't even know what an unlocked bootloader was at the time!

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #2,624 of 3,525
Yes it is a shame and having the H960A was just a fluke on my part. I ordered mine from BHPHOTO and just wanted one that was compatible with the LTE carrier frequencies in Mexico. Just good luck on my part as I didn't even know what an unlocked bootloader was at the time!

This is like hitting the cell phone lottery jackpot.:cherries::cherries::cherries::cherries:, it seems you got lucky. I didn't look at that model because it's only got 32 gig, and the other variants got 64 gig.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #2,625 of 3,525
  I seriously can't see how Viper would disable the amplifier... It's all software/Android audio routing that is done way before it gets anywhere close to the DAC/Amp.

I would agree with you on logic, but you have to try it and see. With V4A, you don't get that pause/silence switching hifi-DAC on and off. I used V4A for the first month or 2 I had the phone, and it was a revelation once I disabled it and just used PowerAmp. I can also confirm, as a bass head, I can get PowerAmp to output excellent bass by experimenting with the limiter and the first 2 EQ levels. Additionally, Direct Volume Control and Hi-Res have a nice impact as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back