LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jul 14, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,626 of 3,525
There are still benefit of rooting when you use it as DAP only. Mainly would be the permission to edit the Mixer_paths.xml file which turns normal mode of hifi DAC mode into Aux or High Impedance mode. The Sabre DAC only kicks in in Aux or High impedance mode. And it does make a big difference. Of course you can still use an extra aux cable and voicemail hack or a high impedence headphones to get the aux or high impedance mode. But for me, I can utilise the Amp section just by plugging in my iem without extra aux cable or hassle. 

Second reason for root would probably be viper4android. I dont use it though. But people do says it makes a difference with correct tweaking. 

Ok,what the best program to root my v10(H960A)? Just give me a link or program name
Thanks

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #2,627 of 3,525
Ok,what the best program to root my v10(H960A)? Just give me a link or program name
Thanks

For those of you with the European version (H960A) I just rooted my V10 using the instructions in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/development/recovery-twrp-v3-0-2-0-unofficial-t3387783 It's possible as LG has allowed the H960A to have the bootloader unlocked which is required for root using this method. Please read all the warnings!

I'm just experimenting with Alsamixer and editing the mixer paths file. I'll report my impressions when I've had a chance to give it a good listen.

I'm fairly new to the Android world so this has been a great learning experience. For on the go use the V10 is a great audio player.

Follow these steps very very carefully, you could turn your phone/DAP into a brick otherwise.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #2,628 of 3,525
Yeah, this is upsetting, that LG will only release the bootloader's for H960A and not the other versions, not sure what's up with that?

This seems to be holding the show up on such a great device, it is a shame to limit the possibility of all the other versions of the V10. This is what seems to be going on.

Perhaps you mean something else, but the T-Mobile variant (H901) has an unlockable bootloader as well...
(And for those with it who don't know, here is how you root it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-lg-v10/general/root-android-6-0-h901-t3382819 )

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #2,631 of 3,525
But its not something they are just doing now... it has always been unlockable.  As it is, since it seems to be up to the carrier, i doubt others will change their mind and allow unlocking..

Yeah, this version isn't carrier locked or purchased through a telco, and this something? What the are you talking about always unlockable, bulcrap, so it should not be so hard to unlock it. (Since you blow your warranty, it should be up to the owner) I believe it's up to LG to release the information, if they ever decide to.

However I am still very happy running a rooted image of 5.1.1 on this V10, and I get to keep my warranty for now. Which is great when it's brand new.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #2,632 of 3,525
Yeah, this version isn't carrier locked or purchased through a telco, and this something? What the are you talking about always unlockable, bulcrap, so it should not be so hard to unlock it. (Since you blow your warranty, it should be up to the owner) I believe it's up to LG to release the information, if they ever decide to.

However I am still very happy running a rooted image of 5.1.1 on this V10, and I get to keep my warranty for now. Which is great when it's brand new.

Ummm...
confused.gif

I was simply saying the T-Mobile version has always had an unlockable bootloader, and that other carriers are the ones who request them shipping unlockable.  Verizon is notorious for asking for locked bootladers, where T-Mobile almost always is restriction free.  I can guarantee that LG cannot release the bootloader unlock for Verizon models unless Verizon themselves request it..

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #2,633 of 3,525
Ummm...:confused:

I was simply saying the T-Mobile version has always had an unlockable bootloader, and that other carriers are the ones who request them shipping unlockable.  Verizon is notorious for asking for locked bootladers, where T-Mobile almost always is restriction free.  I can guarantee that LG cannot release the bootloader unlock for Verizon models unless Verizon themselves request it..

Good to know this, over here on our end if the world there are no such luxuries, heck there's no local v10 at all here.

Most of the time it's the company's that created the locked boot loader that will release it, and not the telco, reseller.
If you have a look it's actually LG who are doing the unlocking. And LG make the decisions as to which of v10 bootloader's get unlocked.

I can only see the v10 h960a on the list as yet.

https://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev?categoryTypeCode=ANRS

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,634 of 3,525
Out of curiosity.. anyone use something on the order of LCD-2's with the V10?  I am looking at picking up a used LCD-2 Rev 1, and am curious if anyone has feedback on this pairing.

For what its worth, i am currently driving my HD650's with it, and am happy, but given the two different technologies, I am left a bit curious...

Good to know this, over here on our end if the world there are no such luxuries, heck there's no local v10 at all here.

Most of the time it's the company's that created the locked boot loader that will release it, and not the telco, reseller.
If you have a look it's actually LG who are doing the unlocking. And LG make the decisions as to which of v10 bootloader's get unlocked.

I can only see the v10 h960a on the list as yet.

https://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev?categoryTypeCode=ANRS

Ah, but thats the thing - to unlock the H901, we didnt even need to go to LG.  We just did the ADB unlock command, and were good to go..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-lg-v10/general/root-android-6-0-h901-t3382819

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #2,635 of 3,525
Ah, but thats the thing - to unlock the H901, we didnt even need to go to LG.  We just did the ADB unlock command, and were good to go..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-lg-v10/general/root-android-6-0-h901-t3382819

That's an exploit, not a gift from the telco to unlock your bootloader. Lol.

(I'm pretty sure that's a telco based model, and the h901 isn't available, only from the telco)
Someone had done a lot of work and found a way to break into the bootloader, and release it. This is very lucky, and possibly done because the telco likes to install their bloatware, and lock the phone up.

Someone got hold of this information and leaked it. That's what I think.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #2,636 of 3,525
Hey guys, late to the party, but was waiting to be able to get one for under $250
biggrin.gif

Last I checked in here, the most reliable way to trick the V10 into activating the ESS was to have an extension cable, right? Was there ever a way found to activate it that doesn't involve an extra cable? If I am not mistaken, there's a way to activate it when the phone is rooted, which i will be doing to mine right away?

Thanks all
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't used Android since 2.x... should be interesting.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #2,637 of 3,525
Welcome to the v10 club, root that phone ASAP, Alsa mixer (this will do what the extension cable was doing, but through the app), Power amp alpha, and your set to go, this is great sounding beast, and for $250.00 that's a steal. Very lucky if she is all good.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #2,638 of 3,525
Welcome to the v10 club, root that phone ASAP, Alsa mixer (this will do what the cable was doing, but through the app), Power amp alpha, and your set to go, this is great sounding beast, and for $250.00 that's a steal. Very lucky if she is all good.

Awesome, that is my plan my man. I'm gonna mosey around and find a root package for my carrier, get a up to date ROM ready just in case. Excited!

Funny that ALSA mixer does the trick! Had no idea Android ran on ALSA this whole time... makes sense though!

Does Poweramp Alpha do the same thing as VIPER4Android? VIPER was popular around here last I checked. I am happy to install both if they don't serve the same purpose, or if VIPER is outdated now (it has been a while since I last checked this thread, so apologies if this has been answered recently, I'm working back thru the pages)

edit: Seems root isn't available for my carrier and Android 6.0 yet, being limited to Android 5 would be unfortunate...

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #2,639 of 3,525
Awesome, that is my plan my man. I'm gonna mosey around and find a root package for my carrier, get a up to date ROM ready just in case. Excited!

Funny that ALSA mixer does the trick! Had no idea Android ran on ALSA this whole time... makes sense though!

Does Poweramp Alpha do the same thing as VIPER4Android? VIPER was popular around here last I checked. I am happy to install both if they don't serve the same purpose, or if VIPER is outdated now (it has been a while since I last checked this thread, so apologies if this has been answered recently, I'm working back thru the pages)

Yeah Alsa is a legendary App, very grateful it's working on Android, and critical to releasing the sound quality.
I have used v4Android on other devices, it's a good global EQ, and works ok if you can get it to install, it's also very buggy. I tried to install it on lollipop 5.1.1 with no luck.

You won't need it with power amp alpha (this isn't the play store version), the eq very impressive, and bass adjustments are earth shattering on the v10/Solar IEM's. The best of all the players, IMO.

There are some reports that the DAC fix everywhere app is needed with MM and power amp alpha. But I can not confirm this as I'm stuck on 5.1.1. and definitely need this App.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #2,640 of 3,525
Thanks, great to know.

Is the extension cable the only way to kick on the amp if it is unrootable? I might be out of luck root-wise if it's already updated to 6.0 when it's delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back