LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Apr 13, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2,356 of 3,525

The remote works fine with me! And unlike using it with the HTC One M8 the volume buttons actually work with the V10 instead of acting as previous / next song buttons.

Are you sure you're in High mode and not Aux?

Only a slight difference between the two but I have yet to get any remote cable working on High (tried 4 different remote cables and headphones).

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #2,357 of 3,525
New owner of V10 here! Out of the box the sound is indeed amazing. Probably the best sound from a phone I've ever heard (the Xiaomi Mi Note coming close second). Have some questions regarding the sound though:

1. At high gain near max volume, do you hear the amp straining/struggling to deliver the volume? (At near max volume my V10 sounds a little harsher which is slightly unpleasant)

2. Does the sound change/improve with burn-in? If yes, how many hours is recommended?

Appreciate it if someone could answer my questions. Thanks in advance!

At high gain near max level? Jeeez, my ears already start bleeding after listening too long at around 60%! and that is with 250 ohm headphones and the sound is crisp and clear at really high volume. What headphones are you using?

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #2,358 of 3,525

Are you sure you're in High mode and not Aux?

Only a slight difference between the two but I have yet to get any remote cable working on High (tried 4 different remote cables and headphones).

I think it's software that thinks it's in high mode but actually isn't. My remote works whether the Hi-Fi icon is lit or not (with the app hotfix), but there's no difference in amplification (so I think it's not /actually/ using Hi-Fi mode). When I plug in a non-remote cable the audio is audibly louder when Hi-Fi is enabled.

So you're right about your findings. I initially thought you were saying the remote cable doesn't work at all, sorry for that. :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #2,360 of 3,525
I use that exact combination. It does not need an amp. You can trigger the higher modes either by removing the cable from the earbuds, plugging the cable in and then the ear buds which will get you to aux mode or by using the dial voicemail hack for high gain mode. Both will bring the best out of your headphones. The sound is very good.

Could you please expand a little more on the "voicemail hack"?  I can get it into aux mode, but I'm curious about High gain.

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2,361 of 3,525

I think it's software that thinks it's in high mode but actually isn't. My remote works whether the Hi-Fi icon is lit or not (with the app hotfix), but there's no difference in amplification (so I think it's not /actually/ using Hi-Fi mode). When I plug in a non-remote cable the audio is audibly louder when Hi-Fi is enabled.

When Hi-Fi is active, you can tell which power mode its in by going to settings/sound and notifications then scroll down to the 32-bit hifi dac and touch it. Top of next screen should show normal, aux, or high. You may have to remove and firmly reinsert headphones if the V10 is not showing the right power mode (like when its in normal but should be on high with a straight cable and 50+ ohm headphones).

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #2,362 of 3,525
At high gain near max level? Jeeez, my ears already start bleeding after listening too long at around 60%! and that is with 250 ohm headphones and the sound is crisp and clear at really high volume. What headphones are you using?

I could get to 75 on high gain with HD650. But even with my low impedance headphones on high gain, I could hear a tiny bit of distortion from the amp at around 60 onwards.

But strange enough, I just updated to Marshmallow and the distortion is gone! It sounds even better than when it was on lollipop. I'm happy now :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #2,363 of 3,525

So you're right about your findings. I initially thought you were saying the remote cable doesn't work at all, sorry for that. :)

I think you are mistaking high mode with Hi-Fi mode. Yes if you see the icon you are using the DAC but there are three modes when the DAC is on. After you plug in your headphones you should check which mode the headphones trigger in the settings.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #2,365 of 3,525
  don't know why Lg didn't make the gain an option for us toggle off/on with the MM update.  Making us jump through hoops to get the extra power.

I said last year it was probably for legal reasons. Even with the MM update, I see no easy way around this for them legally.

Imagine some (non-audiophile) user plugging cheap earbuds into the V10. High gain (somehow) happens to be on (if V10 had the option). Then they sue LG for hearing damage.

The V10 was marketed as a phone (not a DAP) so people will say they had no clue that would happen. LG 'snuck' the dac/amp into this phone by using a resistance sensor.

I said then that most people buying the V10 don't even know what a DAC is. Now, with the G5, the dac/amp is separate (where available) and will no doubt come with different instructions and warnings.

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2,366 of 3,525

I said last year it was probably for legal reasons. Even with the MM update, I see no easy way around this for them legally.

Imagine some (non-audiophile) user plugging cheap earbuds into the V10. High gain (somehow) happens to be on (if V10 had the option). Then they sue LG for hearing damage.

The V10 was marketed as a phone (not a DAP) so people will say they had no clue that would happen. LG 'snuck' the dac/amp into this phone by using a resistance sensor.

I said then that most people buying the V10 don't even know what a DAC is. Now, with the G5, the dac/amp is separate (where available) and will no doubt come with different instructions and warnings.

Not sure if this has been shared/mentioned on here yet...

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-hi-fi-plus-dac-module-availability-685502/

Glad I didn't upgrade my V10 to the G5!

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,367 of 3,525

Users who are viewing this thread

Back