LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Feb 25, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #2,177 of 3,525
Don't use iems so can't say but never heard any hissing or background noise with any of my headphones. Also haven't heard any complaints here about iem noise from the V10.

But the main draw of the V10 (imo) is the internal amp. Without that its just another good sounding phone. Whether or not you want the extra power for iems is a matter of preference.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #2,179 of 3,525
Couple of pages back I posted a guide on how to trick the phone into activating the amp using the dial voicemail method. Although there may not be a sound QUALITY improvement with higher gain, theoretically there could be an improvement to dynamic range.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #2,180 of 3,525
Does it make sense to have two separate amps though? In actuality it's probably just the snapdragon DAC + the ESS DAC and the one amp that switches from low vain to high gain.

It makes sense for better battery life.

Don't forget, the Snapdragon has it's own low-power amp too (as well as a dac). I believe that amp is used in normal power mode. The Snapdragon is always on so using the ESS amp (even if there is a low gain) would be redundant and eat more power. Having the ESS amp turn on only at high for headphones that need the power makes sense for maximizing battery life (same reason the ESS dac automatically turns off when headphones are unplugged).

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #2,181 of 3,525
Nah, ES amp chip were made to be powerful, produce good quality without spending too much power for mobile application. Even DP-X1 from Onkyo in dual DAC and amp mode last for 18 hours on a 3300mah battery pack. Roughly estimated right there. The time I spent with it driving headphones, it lasted more than 12 hours on high-res and CD quality files

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #2,182 of 3,525
So, what are the messages that you see on the DAC screen, when the amp has been activated?  So far, I've seen "A normal device has been connected, and the HiFi DAC has been activated for best possible sound." or something similar to that, and I've seen "An external device has been connected."  Is there one telling me I'm in high impedance mode, so I know the amp has been activated too?

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,184 of 3,525
Nah, ES amp chip were made to be powerful, produce good quality without spending too much power for mobile application. Even DP-X1 from Onkyo in dual DAC and amp mode last for 18 hours on a 3300mah battery pack. Roughly estimated right there. The time I spent with it driving headphones, it lasted more than 12 hours on high-res and CD quality files

I hope that is the case with the V10 as well.

Still doesn't explain why some (even those with sensitive iems) can barely hear a difference with the dac on or off in normal mode.

Other than the impedance detection and auto on/off for dac, only LG knows for sure how far they went to conserve battery power.

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #2,185 of 3,525
  So, what are the messages that you see on the DAC screen, when the amp has been activated?  So far, I've seen "A normal device has been connected, and the HiFi DAC has been activated for best possible sound." or something similar to that, and I've seen "An external device has been connected."  Is there one telling me I'm in high impedance mode, so I know the amp has been activated too?

External device mode and high impedance mode seem to utilize the amp in the same way, so as long as you see the external device message you should be good

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,186 of 3,525
I'm in such a debate with myself with the V10 vs. G5, I need a new phone and not sure I can make it to April.  Only things I like about the G5 is USB-C, the UI and the 820 vs. the 808 in the V10. If the V10 sounds good, not sure the G5 would be worth it plus $200-$300 for the B&O.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #2,187 of 3,525
  I'm in such a debate with myself with the V10 vs. G5, I need a new phone and not sure I can make it to April.  Only things I like about the G5 is USB-C, the UI and the 820 vs. the 808 in the V10. If the V10 sounds good, not sure the G5 would be worth it plus $200-$300 for the B&O.

If you want the newest and "maybe" the greatest and don't mind being invested in their module system, then go for the G5.
Simple and one single solution which is already proven to be worthy to own, then V10 would be the correct choice.

I currently own the V10 and came from the disappointing G4...very happy with my choice.
In my opinion, if I had to do it all again and had the current choices, I'll still go with the V10.

Better video and I prefer the rear buttons.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #2,188 of 3,525
If you want the newest and "maybe" the greatest and don't mind being invested in their module system, then go for the G5.
Simple and one single solution which is already proven to be worthy to own, then V10 would be the correct choice.

I currently own the V10 and came from the disappointing G4...very happy with my choice.
In my opinion, if I had to do it all again and had the current choices, I'll still go with the V10.

Better video and I prefer the rear buttons.

I reviewed V10 audio, and I still stand for it being the best sonically quality performance for a smartphone in the U.S. It design is elegant and very desirable.

I am eagerly waiting the G5. It could be worthy with the new B&O module....or....a failures ? We do not know. However, V10 is proven, and most importantly....v10 was dead quiet for a DAP...let alone having a phone functionality. It actually beat the Zx2 in background blackness.

So I would say the V10 is still the best for the money, until the G5 prove itself :D. Keep in mind if you care about paper spec, the es9018 in the v10 is 24 bits...and the G5 module will have 32 bits :D

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #2,189 of 3,525
Yep, plug in the extension alone first, then plug your headphone in next. It will trick the phone into external audio mode

Found I don't need the DAC fix app at all. Any time i plug in, the DAC turns on in normal mode, and if i take the left earphone, just the left not the right, I get into high gain mode. Saves battery for me, because I'm horrible at remembering to turn the fix app off after.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #2,190 of 3,525
I reviewed V10 audio, and I still stand for it being the best sonically quality performance for a smartphone in the U.S. It design is elegant and very desirable.

I am eagerly waiting the G5. It could be worthy with the new B&O module....or....a failures ? We do not know. However, V10 is proven, and most importantly....v10 was dead quiet for a DAP...let alone having a phone functionality. It actually beat the Zx2 in background blackness.

So I would say the V10 is still the best for the money, until the G5 prove itself
biggrin.gif
. Keep in mind if you care about paper spec, the es9018 in the v10 is 24 bits...and the G5 module will have 32 bits
biggrin.gif

I think the es9018 is 32 bits also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back