LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Feb 15, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #2,101 of 3,525
Thank you for the video.

But so far I'am not lucky enough to trigger the high gain mode. I do have a question. 

If I trigger the high impedance mode will it stay in that mode when I unplug and re plug my headphones again? I also have a high impedance headphones, but when I pin the hifi-dac settings menu and replug my low impedance headphones it will switch to the low impedance mode. 

If these methods needs up to 10+ tries to trigger, it is really a hassle to do that again every time I replug my headphones. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,102 of 3,525
  Thank you for the video.

But so far I'am not lucky enough to trigger the high gain mode. I do have a question. 

If I trigger the high impedance mode will it stay in that mode when I unplug and re plug my headphones again? I also have a high impedance headphones, but when I pin the hifi-dac settings menu and replug my low impedance headphones it will switch to the low impedance mode. 

If these methods needs up to 10+ tries to trigger, it is really a hassle to do that again every time I replug my headphones. 

Seems like the thing is getting more randomic than expected. Unfortunately it is a hassle to repeat it for every reset, but it's the only way to get the full power from the DAC without carrying any portable AMP to listen music while moving with low-impedance headphones.

Anyway I'm getting a very long "bugged status" with the DAC settings, and when it resets I just unplug, wait a second & plug again my headphones getting the High Impedance mode again. Try this "after success method", hope it will works on your V10 too.

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #2,103 of 3,525
Has anyone figured out if you can use the phone as an "external DAC", use the ESS DAC but in a "line-out" mode for connection to a stereo via analog cable to their stereo line inputs? I tried using it normally, and the DAC showed as enabled, but the quality was not as impressive as I had hoped (in comparison to my Marantz UD5007 when playing a standard red book CD via it's analog output to the same input on my stereo).

thanks!

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #2,105 of 3,525
  After several attempts, I prefer to just use the adapter in AUX mode.
Your efforts and helpful advice is greatly appreciated!

I wish you have a quick recovery regarding your health!

Thank you for the support! I'm sorry I didn't found some secure ways to do that, but when I saw this phenomenon on my phone I just would to share it with all of you, hoping to help others with my experience. It's a pity that only mine got this High-Impedance bug (or maybe only the european versions - H960).

Have a good listening time, then!

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #2,106 of 3,525
  Thank you for the video.

I have not had any luck getting the phone to "remember" high impedance mode.

Has anyone figured out if you can use the phone as an "external DAC", use the ESS DAC but in a "line-out" mode for connection to a stereo via analog cable to their stereo line inputs? I tried using it normally, and the DAC showed as enabled, but the quality was not as impressive as I had hoped (in comparison to my Marantz UD5007 when playing a standard red book CD via it's analog output to the same input on my stereo).

thanks!

I asked a similar question on XDA asking whether it was possible to use the phone as a USB DAC when plugged into the computer via USB and outputting via the headphone jack. I don't think it can be done without some kind of processing performed prior to the signal reaching the ESS DAC which defeats the purpose.

Thank you for the support! I'm sorry I didn't found some secure ways to do that, but when I saw this phenomenon on my phone I just would to share it with all of you, hoping to help others with my experience. It's a pity that only mine got this High-Impedance bug (or maybe only the european versions - H960).

Have a good listening time, then!

Thanks for the video, unfortunately I have not had any luck using your methods probably due to differing phone models. I have the T-Mobile H901 version which is rooted with a custom ROM. I'll stick to triggering it using the dial voicemail method which has a good success rate for me - usually able to get it on first try if not second.

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2,107 of 3,525
  I have not had any luck getting the phone to "remember" high impedance mode.

I asked a similar question on XDA asking whether it was possible to use the phone as a USB DAC when plugged into the computer via USB and outputting via the headphone jack. I don't think it can be done without some kind of processing performed prior to the signal reaching the ESS DAC which defeats the purpose.

Thanks for the video, unfortunately I have not had any luck using your methods probably due to differing phone models. I have the T-Mobile H901 version which is rooted with a custom ROM. I'll stick to triggering it using the dial voicemail method which has a good success rate for me - usually able to get it on first try if not second.

I'm on T-Mobile also, but have no success in triggering with the "voicemail" method.
I'm not rooted...maybe that could be the issue?

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #2,108 of 3,525

I'm on T-Mobile also, but have no success in triggering with the "voicemail" method.
I'm not rooted...maybe that could be the issue?

Are your doing a normal call and not a WiFi call? Here's my process:

Plug in headphones
Head to DAC window and disable DAC
Unplug headphones
Hit recent and close all other apps apart from DAC
Go to phone app and dial voicemail
Wait for call to connect
Switch to DAC window
Plug in headphones
If fails, repeat
Headphones should eventual trigger high impedance
Hang up, and turn on the DAC

This is what I do and almost always guarantees a high mode on two tries.

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #2,109 of 3,525

Plug in headphones
Wait for call to connect
Switch to DAC window
Plug in headphones
If fails, repeat

I think you missed the step to unplug your headphones in your description.

But the weird thing is, this method only worked for me the first day. When I try it now it just doesn't work. I have no idea why...

Seems like this bug stopped bugging for some reason.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,111 of 3,525
Several attempt and still a "no go" 
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #2,112 of 3,525
There are different version of LG V10 on ebay. LG V10 H961N, LG V10 H901, etc.

are there any sonic difference between them?

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2,113 of 3,525
  There are different version of LG V10 on ebay. LG V10 H961N, LG V10 H901, etc.

are there any sonic difference between them?

The H960 version is the european one, and it has 32GB of internal storage and support the LTE 800 Mhz band too. The H961N version is the asian one. it has 64GB of internal storage, Dual Sim slot but doesn't support the LTE 800 Mhz band. The H901 is the USA version. It has 64GB of internal storage... but I don't know anymore about his LTE band support.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #2,114 of 3,525
So LG V10 was it first attemp to see how welcomed the Camera and sound quality on a smartphone will be. Guess what ? LG upped it "Ante", LG G5 will have Magic slot and be released together with 3 Modules

1/ Camera module
2/ DAC+ Amp module made by B&O, which can also be used as USB DAC
3/ Drone remote control ?

Please click on this link to discuss and welcome our next innovative champion in the smartphone world

http://www.head-fi.org/t/798738/lg-g5-possible-dac-or-camera-modules-audiophiles-enjoy

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #2,115 of 3,525

Plug in headphones
Unplug headphones
Wait for call to connect
Switch to DAC window
Plug in headphones
If fails, repeat

Sounds nice. But... how to make a Wi-Fi call to the V10 to try this method?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back