LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Dec 10, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,381 of 3,525
  Sure I'll inform :wink:

Great news, thanks for share!

I am adding this ZeroLemon news in the first page :wink:

Dear V10 users, please PM your impressions links comparing the V10 with other DAP and DAC's. Also please PM me your greatest headphone V10 combinations. I have started to organize our V10 threads first page! Please contribute!

Good work!

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,382 of 3,525
I've said it before, though I'm not sure if it was read... Double Twist absolutely works with the Dac. It's not as sexy as Poweramp, Neutron, or Rocket, but it's pretty good in its own right. Works well with Apple TV and Airplay. Does not work with Chromecast, at least i haven't figured it out yet. But I use BubbleUpnP for that.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #1,386 of 3,525
  well now that i had a chance to test the lg v10 more and more well here are things to be aware of for people buying it as a dap phone

first off with the stock player the sound is flat and lacks bass end of story and the custom eq in the stock player sucks big time

now moving to other player like neutron and player pro , something in the sound sounds off to me I can not really describe it as if there is not a clean signal and any mod to the eq can cause big distrotion with my iems sony z5 and shure 846

in particular the v10 its not great at all with my sony z5 iem and actually it sounds so low and distorts so easily by just adding 2db bass 63hz which is really really annyoing

now what i do not understand the sound signature is a bit weird and i feel its very very dry and maybe lacks musicality even
and if you try to use neutron with the cat app to engage the hifiidac and try to eq the end result is bad, i do not know how to describe the sound exactly but playing a bit with neutron eq and bass even my shure starts to distort easily and this is strange as the shure are supposed to handle bass with authority, its the only device where i hear my iems distort easily whether the shure 846 or z5

no i am not in a happy mood today as i feel something in the sound is not right and is not clean and engaging like say my ak100ii so i retract my previous impressions and therefore my previous impression is retracted

man this distortion with neutron and cat game and adding only few db of bass in the 63hz frequency and leaving other bands as is, is so so so annoying and makes my iems distort like rattle snakes. Compared to my mojo and neutron and adding alot of bass in neutron is not causing any distortion in my iems and sound so great

maybe something is wrong i will reset my phone to factory settings as the sound honestly is not musical or engaging or even enjoyable compared to an ak100ii in balanced mode, or using android and a mojo

sorry thats now my impression until i figure if something is wrong with my phone 

i know many will not like this impression and will maybe curse me but here there you have it.

Never ever did i think my shure 846 would rattle like a rattle snake by adding just  few dbs in 63 hz in neutron 

sorry i have to say  mojo is miles away better than the v10

I've tried a few different music apps and the stock player still sounds best (imo; the Neko trick hasn't worked for me so far). Bass isn't lacking any more on the V10 (I feel it actually has a bit more) than it does on my other daps. I don't use EQ so amount of bass depends on the headphone. Iems of course will be different but overall sound from the stock player is amazing especially coming from a phone. Very detailed, spacious, and dynamic. As far as the dryness and other issues you mentioned, exactly which daps alone are close to the Mojo soundwise?

Heard that Neutron plans to add ability to use the V10's dac soon but I wouldn't trust using the current version to gauge the V10. So far, only the stock player is 100% confirmed by all to be using the ESS hardware. Even with the dac off, the stock player doesn't sound any worse than other phones using the Snapdragon so, I agree, it shouldn't sound horrible unless something is really wrong.

You probably already did the following so pls ignore if redundant:

Recommend checking to make sure the V10's dac is really on (the HIFI icon can be misleading: just means the amp is on but doesn't necessarily mean the dac is in use). V10 only prompts you about the dac the first time you plug headphones in. After that it goes auto on/off (unless you switch it off manually).

Make sure its off then plug-in. I usually open the settings screen to watch it switch on. Then open the stock player and try it. If it still sounds terrible after testing with a couple different headphones/iems and cables then I think returning it (or exchanging it) seems logical.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #1,387 of 3,525

I've tried a few different music apps and the stock player still sounds best (imo; the Neko trick hasn't worked for me so far). Bass isn't lacking any more on the V10 (I feel it actually has a bit more) than it does on my other daps. I don't use EQ so amount of bass depends on the headphone. Iems of course will be different but overall sound from the stock player is amazing especially coming from a phone. Very detailed, spacious, and dynamic. As far as the dryness and other issues you mentioned, exactly which daps alone are close to the Mojo soundwise?

Heard that Neutron plans to add ability to use the V10's dac soon but I wouldn't trust using the current version to gauge the V10. So far, only the stock player is 100% confirmed by all to be using the ESS hardware. Even with the dac off, the stock player doesn't sound any worse than other phones using the Snapdragon so, I agree, it shouldn't sound horrible unless something is really wrong.

Recommend checking to make sure the V10's dac is really on (the HIFI icon can be misleading: just means the amp is on but doesn't necessarily mean the dac is in use). V10 only prompts you about the dac the first time you plug headphones in. After that it goes auto on/off (unless you switch it off manually).

Make sure its off then plug-in. I usually open the settings screen to watch it switch on. Then open the stock player and try it. If it still sounds terrible after testing with a couple different headphones/iems and cables then I think returning it (or exchanging it) seems logical.

deleted

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #1,388 of 3,525

It's because he's not using it with a sensitive headphone.

Please try V10 with AKG K712, AKG K7XX, AKG K702. I hear bass guitar very clearly in all of songs I listen to. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,389 of 3,525
The LG V10 took the android authority award for Best audio on the 2015 smart phone list. :)
https://youtu.be/B_JptzXUQ9g

Informative video...article is here http://www.androidauthority.com/best-of-android-2015-audio-660588/

That's just a small youtube channel award which has only 12,000 views... no big deal.

Up to 46,722 a day and a half later. That said, Youtube is probably not the primary delivery vehicle for this type of content; probably makes sense to look at the sites' web traffic.
- AndroidAuthority.com is about 2.5 times Head-Fi.org
- AA global rank is 3,765 trending up...HF is 7,377 trending down.
- In the US they are 1911 and 3470 respectively...both trending down.

This channel has 1.6 million subs actually. Yes, the amount of crowd that it reaches might be small comparing to MKBHD or Unbox Therapy, but at least it is being recognized

Yep, and while AndroidAuthority is really about all things Android...including phone audio, it seems to be much more likely to 'get the word out' regarding a top-performing Android audio device.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,390 of 3,525
to be honest with shure 846 and sony z5 iems i am not enjoying this phone, and i have no other iems to test 

i think i am starting to learn that its not about specs but more about implementation of things

the stock player is not to my taste and has the worst eq ever

then using other player like neutron and using eq in it just messes things up

i am done considering this as dap phone and but non the less its a great phone

maybe my opinion will change if other respectful players have access to the dac without this cat app, or if there will be root for it and using v4a, i really also do not like how until now there is no root, and my bootloader is unlockable which is also a pain in itself

i honestly never ever disliked my iems as much as i do with this phone 

i am sorry i am now only listening to the mojo which makes my iems sing and not screetch like the v10

to be honest the note 5 even sounds better 

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,391 of 3,525
to be honest with shure 846 and sony z5 iems i am not enjoying this phone, and i have no other iems to test 

i think i am starting to learn that its not about specs but more about implementation of things

the stock player is not to my taste and has the worst eq ever

then using other player like neutron and using eq in it just messes things up

i am done considering this as dap phone and but non the less its a great phone

maybe my opinion will change if other respectful players have access to the dac without this cat app, or if there will be root for it and using v4a, i really also do not like how until now there is no root, and my bootloader is unlockable which is also a pain in itself

i honestly never ever disliked my iems as much as i do with this phone 

i am sorry i am now only listening to the mojo which makes my iems sing and not screetch like the v10

I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the V10 but then again nothing is for everyone.

Just out of curiosity: when you use your IEM's with the Mojo do you feed it a sound that's eq'd or unaltered?

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #1,392 of 3,525
I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the V10 but then again nothing is for everyone.

Just out of curiosity: when you use your IEM's with the Mojo do you feed it a sound that's eq'd or unaltered?

the mojo with or without eq sounds simply amazing

its like miles miles miles better than the v10

and my ak100ii is much much much more enjoyable to listen to than the v10

i just need to make it clear by all means i do not suggest that the v10 sounds bad, but compared to dedicated daps like ak100ii or a mojo the v10 can not compete, but it can compete with other phones in sound

i think i am the only one that is not that much impressed so please everyone do not take my judgement as a factor to deter you from buying this phone as there so many who like it, but for me its not up there to be an alternative to a dap

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #1,393 of 3,525
the mojo with or without eq sounds simply amazing

its like miles miles miles better than the v10

and my ak100ii is much much much more enjoyable to listen to than the v10

Ok, thanks :)

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,394 of 3,525

i think i am starting to learn that its not about specs but more about implementation of things. the stock player is not to my taste and has the worst eq ever. then using other player like neutron and using eq in it just messes things up

i am done considering this as dap phone and but non the less its a great phone. maybe my opinion will change if other respectful players have access to the dac without this cat app, or if there will be root for it and using v4a, i really also do not like how until now there is no root, and my bootloader is unlockable which is also a pain in itself

i honestly never ever disliked my iems as much as i do with this phone. i am sorry i am now only listening to the mojo which makes my iems sing and not screetch like the v10

Interesting...Android Authority specifically calls out the Note 5 as a solid alternative to the V10 with a somewhat "tubey" sound due to some Second Order IM distortion.

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-of-android-2015-audio-660588/
"The Galaxy Note 5 stood out the most in terms of a unique tone, as the tracks seem a little warmer here than on other phones. After listening, I took a closer look at the intermodulation distortion results and found an interesting introduction of some second harmonic distortion that can’t be seen on other phones (at least not this noticeably). Although it only appears very slight, cumulatively this might be audible when listening to a full track. The panning and high-end detail are excellent with vocals cutting through nicely, but the extra smoothness might not sit well with everyone."

"There appears to be some additional 2nd harmonic content introduced somewhere in the Galaxy Note 5’s signal path, which is more typical of a classic warm valve sound."

Given that, and how tastes vary, some folks would prefer the Note 5 to the V10 and vice-versa.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,395 of 3,525
Interesting...Android Authority specifically calls out the Note 5 as a solid alternative to the V10 with a somewhat "tubey" sound due to some Second Order IM distortion.

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-of-android-2015-audio-660588/
"The Galaxy Note 5 stood out the most in terms of a unique tone, as the tracks seem a little warmer here than on other phones. After listening, I took a closer look at the intermodulation distortion results and found an interesting introduction of some second harmonic distortion that can’t be seen on other phones (at least not this noticeably). Although it only appears very slight, cumulatively this might be audible when listening to a full track. The panning and high-end detail are excellent with vocals cutting through nicely, but the extra smoothness might not sit well with everyone."

"There appears to be some additional 2nd harmonic content introduced somewhere in the Galaxy Note 5’s signal path, which is more typical of a classic warm valve sound."

Given that, and how tastes vary, some folks would prefer the Note 5 to the V10 and vice-versa.

i totally agree that the note 5 sounded warm and enjoyable instead of this sabre dac in v10 which is so dry and can make not well recorded music sound like crap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back