LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Dec 3, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,276 of 3,525
Here's a tip to trigger Higher Impedance with potentially any set of headphones. I have a set of Shure SE535. So what you do is plug the analog volume adapter that should have came with your SE535 retail package. That will enable higher Impedance mode which can be verified on sound options. After that just plug your SE535 normally and you should have a ton more volume available. Honestly I'm not even sure if it makes that much of a difference at all in sound quality but the volume difference is clearly obvious as it will blow off your ears. No joke.

The trick is to plug the adapter into the phone before you plug the headphones into the adapter, do not plug the headphones to the adapter before you plug into the LG V10. It will not work that way or any other way in my experience. Also, you will obviously have to have the adapter plugged in the whole time in order for this to work, the second you disconnect the volume adapter it will fall back to normal mode. Sorry for any typos etc, typed this from the V10 while testing the above.

Please let me know if that works for you and I would also be interested if anyone notices any changes in overall audio quality.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,277 of 3,525

I did similar testing a few days ago but posted it in the V10 review thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance/360#post_12119129

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,279 of 3,525
SABRE ES9028/ES9603 Another DAC/Amp design was just announced by Esstech. I think that we can expect this more potent dac in the next v10! Audiophile phones have a future after all. :)

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/ess-premieres-the-new-es9028-sabre-mobile-dac-es9603-headphone-amplifier-2079227.htm

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,280 of 3,525
SABRE ES9028/ES9603 Another DAC/Amp design was just announced by Esstech. I think that we can expect this more potent dac in the next v10! Audiophile phones have a future after all.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/ess-premieres-the-new-es9028-sabre-mobile-dac-es9603-headphone-amplifier-2079227.htm

Yes... it's a good news.  I wonder why this didn't happen during 2014. 

I hope LG guys implement a 2.5mm balanced output too. Please request this feature if you guys like to see it in V20.

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,281 of 3,525
Phone is here.

It's really a tremendous phone. As long as you're okay with the bigger size, then I really don't see any drawbacks.

I think the music playback ability of the device is being a little overhyped in here, but it IS better than any cell phone I've had so far. This phone won't have the refinement of top-tier DAPs, but everything sounds nice and balanced. With the DT1350 there's a ridiculous amount of headroom/power to drive them well. The bass feels a hair exaggerated, but it's tasteful and doesn't interfere with the rest of the sound signature.

Throw in a top notch camera and this thing is hard to beat. Especially considering I got it for $375.

I'm very impressed.

As a side note, the default music player is adequate. Don't hold your breath on a wide range of compatible music programs. App designers could tweak their apps to work with the DAC, but they don't want to get into the game of trying to support each and every device that comes out. Maybe that will change, but it's going to take some time. PowerAmp has said as much in their forums when asked about the V10.

How did you get it so cheaply?

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,282 of 3,525
  How did you get it so cheaply?

$100 off black friday deal, $100 upgrade discount, and $100 LG rebate card.

As a side note, I'm using Google Play Music now...it works well with the DAC as long as you're not listening to streaming content.  Since I only listen to physical files on my phone it works well for now.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #1,283 of 3,525
A good news for you guys:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=200gb+micro+sd&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=200gb+micro+sd&_sacat=0

A bunch of LG's 200GB Sandisk OEM microSD cards are available on ebay for only $80.
It's the same 200GB micro SD card which you got during their black friday special offer. It seems like a lot of people are selling them on Ebay for more $$

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,285 of 3,525
I just got mine today. 
I can confirm that V10 sounds incredible with AKG K712, K7XX headphones. V10 sounds just like my desktop DAC with my AKG K7XX headphone. It has true reference sound and big sound stage. It's not as good as my Teac Desktop DACs. It sounds comparable to Geek Out 1000. I can hear bass, piano, guitar, vocal, and strings very clearly with good instrument separation. Samsung Note 4, on the other hand, loses basses and higher frequency all the time. 

The problem is V10's power. It's not powerful enough to drive Shure's SRH1840 at the same level. It loses a lot. 
If you have high impedance headphone, it's not the best...but my AKG K7XX pro headphone sounds really good with V10. 

Also, its max volume is not the loudest I've heard... It's good enough for going outside with my AKG K7XX but it can't play some quiet classical recordings well. Its max 75 volume can't play classical recordings. You can barely hear them even when you're alone in your room. Some pop songs can be very loud though...they had to allow max 100 with more flexibility.

LG needs to fix a lot more to make it a true DAP / Smartphone combo. This is satisfactory and definitely much better than what Samsung and Apple guys are doing.

V10 sounds better than HM901 when you're using it with K7XX. It's not as powerful as DX100. With an AKG headphone, you can get about 95% of DX100's experience. In pop, rock songs, I don't hear any difference between V10 and my desktop DACs. It actually gets 100% of DX100 in pop, rock genre which have few instruments (drum, guitar, bass, piano, and vocals). 
Considering that DX100's firmware / OS is almost unusable, I would choose V10 over DX100. It doesn't have that SD card or file loading time which all obscure DAPs have. 
----------

I don't think I will ever buy an over-priced DAP again for the rest of my life. V10 does the job. It has good instrument separation and reference sound.
I won't need to carry an extra device when I have V10. All I need for V10 are Zerolemon 9,000 battery case and Sandisk 512GB SD card.
Onkyo DP-X1 is the last DAP on the earth.....

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #1,286 of 3,525
Congrats on finally getting your V10.

I agree it sounds almost as good as some TOTL stuff with the right headphones (around 60 ohms but still sensitive enough to be driven by portables seem to work best). Be sure to try the Portapro (without remote) if you get a chance; makes a great sounding combo.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,289 of 3,525
  lol, why would people sell a free 200gb micro sd ?

I guess the kind of people that own absolutely no data.  They may just have a laptop or tablet but it's not used for storage. No desktop.  Everything is done through streaming and they don't take videos. They may have some CDs ripped into mp3 from years ago but they aren't building a collection.They don't care about backing up files etc.. 

Or they own an iPhone or a Samsung and they're like - what is this mysterious little thing?!
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,290 of 3,525

I guess the kind of people that own absolutely no data.  They may just have a laptop or tablet but it's not used for storage. No desktop.  Everything is done through streaming and they don't take videos. They may have some CDs ripped into mp3 from years ago but they aren't building a collection.They don't care about backing up files etc.. 

Or they own an iPhone or a Samsung and they're like - what is this mysterious little thing?!
biggrin.gif

That sounds like me lol. I get all my music through Tidal atm. Haven't put anything on the sd yet. Actually just put it in my phone yesterday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back