LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Dec 4, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,291 of 3,525
I was debating selling mine. I already had a 128GB card. I decided to keep it. With flac i would eventually fill the 128, im 81GB away from filling this one. So it should be enough till a 500GB card becomes reality, but by then my laptop will need a bigger hard drive too.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,292 of 3,525
What did you mean on that ? 

You don't need to buy a separate DAP when you get V10.
DP-X1 is the first flagship DAP that has the same features and price ($560) of a normal smartphone.
You won't need more overpriced DAPs like Hifiman, Cowon, Calyx M, AK240, etc.
Eventually, all smartphone companies will choose this route. If there's any more left for a DAP, I would say Onkyo DP-X1 maybe can take that spot.. no others.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,293 of 3,525
Here's something I've noticed and I'd be curious to get other takes on it:

I plug in my headphones and the hi-fi icon lights up.  I start my music in either Google Play Music (downloaded content only) or the default LG app.  

The music sounds alright, but I notice I can max out the volume and the levels are still comfortable, which isn't the correct behavior.  When I toggle the hifi icon on and off there's a pause in the music, but no change in volume.  The quality does seem better with the hifi option turned on, but it's subtle and I wonder if it's placebo.  

So, I restart my phone and try again, and voila.  The volume change is back.  With hi-fi seleted I can listen comfortable in the 35-45 range.  There's no way I could make the volume without blasting my ear drums.  When I toggle hifi on and off, I get the drastic volume change as expected.

I haven't quite worked out why/when I need to restart my phone to get things working properly, but it is a bit annoying.  

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,294 of 3,525
agree as per comment below....or at least DAPs will change.

heck anything audio/digital (esp portable music) is undergoing huge changes all the time.
what is new and exciting now is 'outdated' in 2 yrs...hence why i'm hesitant to upgrade all the time.

let me know what you think of the article.

http://cymbacavum.com/2015/05/13/the-biz-where-is-portable-audio-going-an-overview-of-the-new-age-dap-market/

excerpts: 

FUTURE TRENDS (DAPS)

I suspect the following features to get increasingly popular among DAPs:
  1. Apt-X or a new lossless wireless codec, as wireless receivers are getting increasingly popular (the new Sony ZX2 uses a special Bluetooth LDAC low-energy mode to stream high bitrate audio wirelessly)
  2. Phone + DAP (Meizu’s MX4 Pro might be a start, read the China Inc. and ESS section for more)
  3. Better screen, so as to be able to be used as multimedia players, not just as music players
  4. Better file management system, as managing hundreds of albums on a DAP still remains a huge burden
  5. Slimmer and lighter design (Sony’s newer DAPs represent this)
[size=17.03px]"CONVERGENCE: THE SMARTPHONE AS A PRIMARY DAP[/size]
But alongside the developing DAP market, there is another market that has developed as a giant: the smartphone market (how could that be ignored?). When the iPhone was first released, Steve Jobs envisioned the convergence of the DAP market and the phone market. For us audiophiles, a merger of our mobile communications devices and our super high-quality DAP hasn’t quite happened, as even with increased attention paid to improving smartphone audio quality, the electronics are still not quite there. But as the development has progressed, phones are becoming more and more suitable as DAPs. Even without a specific focus on audio quality, the iPhone is currently regarded as a big audio success, and few Android phones have wowed me with astonishingly good sound quality.
Moreover, portable DACs are adding in OTG support for iOS and Android. This trend has been on going ever since the Apple’s CCK (Camera Connection Kit) became available as a way to get digital audio output out of a smartphone. Companies like Leckerton Audio, CEntrance, V-Moda, and Astell&Kern market these products to the new generation of portable-fi, adding “Hi-Fi-ness” to the convenient usability of the smartphone. Nevertheless, as an owner of one of these portable DACs (the AK10), I must admit that the addition of a micro USB cable and a DAC to my phone is burdensome and inconvenient.
Currently, despite that fact that I owned a AK100 in the past, my main DAP remains the LG G3. As I mentioned in the list above, I believe that phone manufacturers are gaining more and more interest in the DAP market. Meizu’s new bold move (releasing a phone with “retina sound”) might instigate a new movement in the smartphone market.
You may have noticed that recently, ESSTech has been dominating the market. Their SABRE products have permeated every level of the D/A kingdom, and in the newest generation of DAPs and smartphones, the ES9018K2M reigns supreme. The very device to ever use the ES9018-2M was the Resonessence Labs Concero HP (see review here), but within a year and a half, it has found itself in nearly every new portable device that has come to market.
This is nowhere more prevalent than in the new crop of Chinese smartphone devices, which seek to differentiate themselves from their American and Korean counterparts by putting in so-called high-end audio components. Meizu, in their press conference for their MX4 Pro, even boasted that their new smartphone possessed greater dynamic range than the mighty HiFiMAN HM-901. LG attempted this before by adding native 24-bit support in its Optimus G series, but didn’t quite gain success, as the DAC chips themselves weren’t sufficient enough for users to be convinced of the “Hi-Fi-ness” of the phone. Nonetheless, if the MX4 Pro is successful, I hope the DAP market will go through a swift change, further blurring the line between the audiophile DAP and the smartphone.
And here we are, on the cusp of Astell&Kern releasing yet another uber-flagship — the AK380. It will probably break records for cost (and perhaps for performance). It will have us audiophiles lusting after it. I only hope that one day, I can have a device that performs like this and can simultaneously answer calls whilst running Flappy Bird.

Quote:
You don't need to buy a separate DAP when you get V10.
DP-X1 is the first flagship DAP that has the same features and price ($560) of a normal smartphone.
You won't need more overpriced DAPs like Hifiman, Cowon, Calyx M, AK240, etc.
Eventually, all smartphone companies will choose this route. If there's any more left for a DAP, I would say Onkyo DP-X1 maybe can take that spot.. no others.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #1,296 of 3,525
Yes, no more money should be spent on greedy and obscure DAP companies...
V10 has desktop DAC sound. We don't need more overpriced and primitive DAPs.
Onkyo DP-X1 is the last DAP on the earth.....

Agreed. Not that the ODAC is top of the line but the V10 to me sounds just as good. And the amp is plenty for every headphone or iEM i own.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #1,297 of 3,525
The Onkyo DP-X1 is one of the few daps I was considering. Dual dac hardware and balanced out may be better on paper but I doubt the sound improvements would be enough to justify carrying a 2nd device that costs about the same as the V10. Plus the Onkyo has more UI issues than the V10: it doesn't display album art (at all) and has no folder browser (of any kind) in the stock music player (exactly like Onkyo's HF Player app). At least the V10 lets you browse the folders single-file, alphabetically. 

I also doubt other phone manufacturers will implement the dac as well as LG (even with the V10's faults). The upcoming S7 may have a sabre chip but Samsung (as usual) is still building 2 versions: 1 with a Qualcomm chip, the other with their Exynos. So, just like Samsung's previous phones, it will be a guess as to which one will have the dac chip and how it'll work. Again, at least with the V10, there's an on/off setting for the dac/amp and, afaik, ALL V10s have the dac chip.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,298 of 3,525
I confirm that V10 has still 88% of batteries left after 3 hours of high-res playing. DX100 lasts 3 hours after 5 hours of charging. It also heats up easily...This proves that all of these obscure Chinese DAPs don't really worth it any longer...

Not to mention about V10's light weight,extremely sensitive touch screen, better CPU, no other electronics on this head-fi site come close.

Screw Fiio, iRiver, Hifiman, Cowon, Calyx Audio, iBasso.
Game is over here. I encourage people to not buy more DAPs. V10 has everything..

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,300 of 3,525
I confirm that V10 has still 88% of batteries left after 3 hours of high-res playing. DX100 lasts 3 hours after 5 hours of charging. This proves that all of these obscure Chinese DAPs don't really worth it any longer...

Battery life definitely seems better than most DAP's.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,301 of 3,525
Battery life definitely seems better than most DAP's.

Mos def.  I keep GPS off because I think it saves battery and it's used mostly for websites and google to snoop on you and track your location.  Not in a malicious way necessarily but they are tracking you nonetheless and it's using battery.  I only turn it on for driving directions.  I also went conservative on my syncs and uninstalled all of the bloatware.  Having done all of that my battery is really awesome.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,302 of 3,525
Mos def.  I keep GPS off because I think it saves battery and it's used mostly for websites and google to snoop on you and track your location.  Not in a malicious way necessarily but they are tracking you nonetheless and it's using battery.  I only turn it on for driving directions.  I also went conservative on my syncs and uninstalled all of the bloatware.  Having done all of that my battery is really awesome.

I leave gps on battery saving and have also disabled all the apps i dont use. I am happy with the battery. Its better than my M9 was. I liked the M9, but this is better in every way other than the speakers. The only thing i miss is the dual front facing speakers for youtube and stuff

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #1,303 of 3,525
After 4 hours of high-res playing and browsing internet, V10 still has 82% of battery left. AK240, which costs four times more than V10, lasts only 4 hours or less...

Let's forget about all DAP companies until they make better devices and offer them under a normal smartphone's price ($520). 

After release of V10, AK240 should cost only $240. There's nothing better about it at all... There's no reason to carry a 2nd device and pay that much money for minimal sound improvement. HM901's actual value is $150 now...V10 sounds much better than HM901. 
Calyx M worth $180. P1 is about the same... $170. Fiio X7 can worth $150 at best.  For DX100, I would pay max $70... 
Don't pay more than $250 on DAPs from now on. You can get V10 with payment plan for $70 a month. I paid $40 up front. 

http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-MTE28VGM-2-8v-Player-Video/dp/B00CHEJP7Q/ref=sr_1_21?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1449277833&sr=1-21&keywords=mp3+player
When ESS Sabre DAC chip costs only few dollars, how did DAPs become so expensive?? 
I'm 100% sure that the actual factory price of DAPs are even cheaper than the price I have listed. 
This one costs $23.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016IBY7F8?psc=1

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,305 of 3,525
One more reason to not spend more money on DAP for you guys:

LG V10 supports quick charge feature which allows to charge V10 in less than 30 minutes. 

The following products allow V10 to charge 75% faster.... It means you'll get 20 hours of high-res music by charging less than 30 minutes. 

http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Desktop-Charging-Station-Included/dp/B00VHHIUNY/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1449281763&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=lg+v10+quick+charge&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Qualcomm-Certified-Technology-Included/dp/B00Y8994SS/ref=sr_1_113?ie=UTF8&qid=1449292815&sr=8-113-spons&keywords=lg+v10+quick+charge&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UWRHNVA/ref=pd_luc_rh_sim_01_03_t_img_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's no DAP on the market which can charge itself in 30 minutes...

Quick Charge 2.0 is available for your car too:
http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Charger-Adapter-Samsung-Included/dp/B00VFZKA22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449282734&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=quick+charge+2.0+for+car&psc=1

and here's a portable battery that has quick charge 2.0. It can charge V10 five times.
http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-15000mAh-Portable-External-Supported/dp/B013ANE2IE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1449282495&sr=8-5&keywords=quick+charge+portable+battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back