LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 22, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,006 of 3,525
  take it easy dude, its a matter of taste for the back cover, i am sure thrid party back covers will come out so that is not a big deal at all

as to the other points it is not at all to say its a bad phone its on the contrary its a great phone, its just questions i like to know answers

i trust warrior1975 as he has been a great help intelling me what and things are 

Relax I wasn't trying to offend you just saying why glass/metal back is over rated.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,007 of 3,525
For those interested in cases, there are issues using the fingerprint sensor. You need to be able to touch the metal frame of the phone. I notched out a small side piece, where I can place my thumb when using the scanner. Good work around.

As far as the back, be careful removing it. I've been messing with my device a lot, so more than a handful of times I've pulled the battery. The back case is chipped a but from this, on top corner.

Figured that too. Had issues with the fingerprint reader after putting on an otterbox.

Waiting for a wireless charging sticker to place inside the back cover. Only plan to take cover off again for that and for the 200gb micro sd once it arrives.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,008 of 3,525
Figured that too. Had issues with the fingerprint reader after putting on an otterbox.

Waiting for a wireless charging sticker to place inside the back cover. Only plan to take cover off again for that and for the 200gb micro sd once it arrives.

Not planning on using the second battrry?

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,012 of 3,525

Could you please describe how far is it from your R10? I own DX100 and consider buying V10.
I am especially interested in scene dimensions and tone aspects...

This was a tough one. Expected to hear distinct differences right away but, surprisingly, the LG V10 and iBasso R10 are fairly close.

Both players are very similar in soundstage, separation, imaging, and placement. I struggled to hear any discernible changes in presentation as I switched back and forth between them. However, the iBasso has a smoother overall tonality and has better quality bass (if not lesser; I always felt the R10 was a bit bass light and had a hard time finding a good pairing until the Z7). The LG isn't harsh by any means though, it just isn't quite as smooth in it's presentation. The V10 does have more bass quantity than the R10 but does not sound boosted. Beyond that, I'm shocked to say there may not be big enough differences in sound quality to justify needing both.

More info:
Shouldn't be so surprised with them both having similar ESS chips (9018S in the R10 and 9018C2M in the V10) but the iBasso has been my best sounding, reference portable for over a year. However, they are about 3 years apart in design which can be a technological eternity (although I always believe newer isn't necessarily better). I've been searching for the perfect all-in-one device for decades and the V10 is the closest yet so it was a logical choice.

The iBasso R10, on the other hand, still has the slightest edge sound-wise and has even more power/headroom than the LG but its main draw now is that it has EVERY kind of output despite being a portable (line out, coax out, and optical out) plus both sizes of headphone jacks. Would be hard to part with mine for those reasons. I think of it more as a portable for home use or as a pocketable transport. Plus battery life isn't even close. Gonna get several times more battery life out of the LG (playing music) compared to anywhere from 5-10 hours with the iBasso.

Here are further details of how I compared them:

Note: I wouldn't classify my hearing as Golden Ears level (aced the basic level but my patience gave out somewhere between bronze and silver). Also note that (afaik) the R10 doesn't output quite as much power as a DX100 so the volume levels may be a bit different between those two.

Fyi, both ESS chips are 32-bit capable. The 9018S can handle up to 8 channels and puts out roughly 2dB more than the stereo C2M but it also consumes more than double the power.

I used the Sony MDR-Z7 as it pairs extremely well with the V10 and the R10 and Z7 was already one of favorite pairings over the past year.

Played the first few songs off one of my favorite new albums: Seal 7 (figured a Trevor Horn production would, as usual, be more than revealing; my equipment really can't do it justice but gotta start somewhere).

I used a Fiio HS2 headphone output switcher and tried my best to match the volume levels of both players using an spl meter app on my old Note 3. The V10 was on high impedance and volume level 45. I set the R10 to high gain, volume to 208, digital filter on slow roll-off (standard), and set SRC to 176/192kHz (according to LG the V10 upsamples everything to 32-bit levels so I figured this was the closest comparison).

No EQ was used on either player.

EDIT: My iBasso R10 is running one of the Russian user made firmwares which makes the R10 more responsive and (imo) sounds even better than with the stock firmware. Also note that I used a pure silver Surf Cable custom made for my Z7s.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #1,013 of 3,525

This was a tough one. Expected to hear distinct differences right away but, surprisingly, the LG V10 and iBasso R10 are fairly close.

Both players are very similar in soundstage, separation, imaging, and placement. I struggled to hear any discernible changes in presentation as I switched back and forth between them. However, the iBasso has a smoother overall tonality and has better quality bass (if not lesser; I always felt the R10 was a bit bass light and had a hard time finding a good pairing until the Z7). The LG isn't harsh by any means though, it just isn't quite as smooth in it's presentation. The V10 does have more bass quantity than the R10 but does not sound boosted. Beyond that, I'm shocked to say there may not be big enough differences in sound quality to justify needing both.

More info:
Shouldn't be so surprised with them both having similar ESS chips (9018S in the R10 and 9018C2M in the V10) but the iBasso has been my best sounding, reference portable for over a year. However, they are about 3 years apart in design which can be a technological eternity (although I always believe newer isn't necessarily better). I've been searching for the perfect all-in-one device for decades and the V10 is the closest yet so it was a logical choice.

The iBasso R10, on the other hand, still has the slightest edge sound-wise and has even more power/headroom than the LG but its main draw now is that it has EVERY kind of output despite being a portable (line out, coax out, and optical out) plus both sizes of headphone jacks. Would be hard to part with mine for those reasons. I think of it more as a portable for home use or as a pocketable transport. Plus battery life isn't even close. Gonna get several times more battery life out of the LG (playing music) compared to anywhere from 5-10 hours with the iBasso.

Note: I wouldn't classify my hearing as Golden Ears level (aced the basic level but my patience gave out somewhere between bronze and silver). Also note that (afaik) the R10 doesn't output quite as much power as a DX100 so the volume levels may be a bit different between those two.

Fyi, both ESS chips are 32-bit capable. The 9018S can handle up to 8 channels and puts out roughly 2dB more than the stereo C2M but it also consumes more than double the power.

I used the Sony MDR-Z7 as it pairs extremely well with the V10 and the R10 and Z7 was already one of favorite pairings over the past year.

Played the first few songs off one of my favorite new albums: Seal 7 (figured a Trevor Horn production would, as usual, be more than revealing; my equipment really can't do it justice but gotta start somewhere).

I used a Fiio HS2 headphone output switcher and tried my best to match the volume levels of both players using an spl meter app on my old Note 3. The V10 was on high impedance and volume level 45. I set the R10 to high gain, volume to 208, digital filter on slow roll-off (standard), and set SRC to 176/192kHz (according to LG the V10 upsamples everything to 32-bit levels so I figured this was the closest comparison).

well u saying the v10 is close to r10 is simply amazing for the v10 so now just add v4a and the v10 wins hands down

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #1,014 of 3,525
does anyone who owns the v10  can compare it to note 5 just out of curiousity

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #1,015 of 3,525
  well u saying the v10 is close to r10 is simply amazing for the v10 so now just add v4a and the v10 wins hands down

I would happily add viper if it didn't require rooting. And if the rooting could be done direct from the phone without a pc I might not mind either. But, alas, my days of "hacking" my phones via connection to a pc are long over. More risk than I'm willing to take no matter how minimal.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #1,016 of 3,525

More info:

Are you disappointed in the dap or phone, because supposedly that's a expensive dap, right?  I not to keen on daps, I don't have much care for them.

You do know that point of this phone is because its an all in one, and a damn good one too.
  does anyone who owns the v10  can compare it to note 5 just out of curiousity

Just the sound or the phones itself?  I have a v10 and used my brothers note5 a couple of times. I also used my other brothers 6s+, but thats nothing special, same exact thing as the 6.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #1,017 of 3,525

Are you disappointed in the dap or phone, because supposedly that's a expensive dap, right?  I not to keen on daps, I don't have much care for them.

You do know that point of this phone is because its an all in one, and a damn good one too.

Just the sound or the phones itself?  I have a v10 and used my brothers note5 a couple of times. I also used my other brothers 6s+, but thats nothing special, same exact thing as the 6.

no i am interested in only comparing the sound, because the note 5 has a wolfson dac that plays back and outputs 192/24 bit according to xda. And with iems i never max out the volume with my note 5 so I am just trying to see if its worth selling my note 5 and buy the v10. I am using sony z5 and shure 846 iems and with both i barely use 75% of the volume

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #1,018 of 3,525
no i am interested in only comparing the sound, because the note 5 has a wolfson dac that plays back and outputs 192/24 bit according to xda. And with iems i never max out the volume with my note 5 so I am just trying to see if its worth selling my note 5 and buy the v10. I am using sony z5 and shure 846 iems and with both i barely use 75% of the volume

Gets away from those bit rate and sample rate....snap dragon DAC can play them fine. The quality it plays them back would be your main concern. Now if you simply care about bit and sample number only, then by all mean, Note 5 is good. If you want to compare quality audio.

1/ note 5 Wolfson/snapdragon is not as well known by the audiophiles as the Sabres inside the V10...Sabres is every where even in DAPS
2/ note 5 does not have any dedicated AMPLIFICATION chip inside as the V10, which use the newest chip from ESS, hence eliminate the need of external amps for headphones and picky ears monitors.

Now then, why comparison when you already know Note 5 simply is inferior in audio quality ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back