LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Oct 29, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #346 of 3,525
Get hi-fi sound from lo-fi music
Not every song you love sounds like it was recorded in a studio, but the LG V10 will make it sound amazing. The phone improves streaming music and old MP3s to a higher quality when you listen with wired headphones (sold separately).

Copied and pasted from verizons site. So if it doesnt work woth streaming music then to me that is false advertising

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #347 of 3,525
My guess is they may be naively referring to automatic upsampling, or similar...

But yeah... that does appear to be rather unwise (and potentially misleading) advertising copy

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #348 of 3,525
My guess is they may be naively referring to automatic upsampling, or similar...

But yeah... that does appear to be rather unwise (and potentially misleading) advertising copy

Im going to attempt to try one tomorrow in store. Restock fee is $35 if i end up with it and return it within 14 days. I just need to figure out how to do this without handing in my One M9. I need to be able to go back to it if i decide that the V10 isnt for me.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #349 of 3,525
More people on xda are claiming that the hifi mode works with other apps. People are claiming to be able to hear a difference with it toggled on and off using other apps.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #350 of 3,525
More people on xda are claiming that the hifi mode works with other apps. People are claiming to be able to hear a difference with it toggled on and off using other apps.

I got the V10 today. I just now tested this while streaming from Tidal (Rush - Tom Sawyer, so we know the recording is good). I don't hear much of a difference when toggling the Hi-Fi DAC button on and off. The volume stays exactly the same, but I do think I hear differences. Very subtle though. But then again, I don't hear much of a difference when using the stock player to play a FLAC file locally, so I don't know. This is tested using Sony MDR-1A. Tomorrow I'm receiving a pair of MDR-Z7, so maybe the difference will be more pronounced with a higher end headphone?

So far, I like the phone and don't think I'll return it, but I am a bit disappointed in the output volume. It's louder than my Sony Z3, but not by much. Maybe I expected too much? But I like my music LOUD. Maybe it is, and my hearing is too damaged to appreciate it? 
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #351 of 3,525
Keep us posted.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #352 of 3,525
I got the V10 today. I just now tested this while streaming from Tidal (Rush - Tom Sawyer, so we know the recording is good). I don't hear much of a difference when toggling the Hi-Fi DAC button on and off. The volume stays exactly the same, but I do think I hear differences. Very subtle though. But then again, I don't hear much of a difference when using the stock player to play a FLAC file locally, so I don't know. This is tested using Sony MDR-1A. Tomorrow I'm receiving a pair of MDR-Z7, so maybe the difference will be more pronounced with a higher end headphone?

So far, I like the phone and don't think I'll return it, but I am a bit disappointed in the output volume. It's louder than my Sony Z3, but not by much. Maybe I expected too much? But I like my music LOUD. Maybe it is, and my hearing is too damaged to appreciate it? :confused_face_2:

Remember this. The stock player with it hifi DAC. Every time when you switch to another app, you will have to toggle the hifi icon for the stock player to re-access the hifi component....otherwise the stock player will automatically be defaulted onto the snapdragon as well. For example

1/ open stock player with FLAC....toggle hifi on, off, on...u hear volume changed in loudness.

2/ open tidal, you hear volume changed in loudness, then you go back to stock player, the volume remain the same, why ? This time e stock player default back to the snap dragon.....you will have to toggle hifi off, on again to hear the changes in loudness as the stock player access into the hifi DAC.

Using in ear monitor is tricky because it doesn't change much in loudness, but hear closely, keep toggling in and off, and you will hear the differences. Snap dragon should sound thinner, more hollow, less define, less resolution...specially the soundstage is not as immersive in depth and width.

And no, you are correct. When the hifi component work correctly, it blow my eardrum ...... Using Z7 or in ear monitors, it won't matter, i can not exceed 85% volume.....it hurts my ears.....it is much louder than my Walkman ZX2 at 100% volume, if that make any senses.

I used the word "default" because whenever it is there, it needs to be toggled on again to escape the "default"

Hifi on >>>> only stock player hear differences

Open tidal, hifi icon remains on, but tidal can not access hifi >>>>>>everything default back on snapdragon

Tab out of tidal, reopen stock player, now the stock player got default back into snap dragon as well. You will have to toggle the hifi icon off then on again

I don't know how to make it more clear.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #353 of 3,525
Im going to attempt to try one tomorrow in store. Restock fee is $35 if i end up with it and return it within 14 days. I just need to figure out how to do this without handing in my One M9. I need to be able to go back to it if i decide that the V10 isnt for me.

Hi, is the V10 an upgrade over the M9 in terms of sound quality?

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #354 of 3,525
Oct 30, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #355 of 3,525
Hmmm.....why spend your money on something that's crippled. What a shame that the V10 hits the mark in every other aspect except the crippled Sabre DAC. I'm sure if they fix this, the V10 will be ranked the best sounding smart phone but too bad that's not the case for now. It's either they fix their **** or some other company with their brand new phone will and that one will be getting our money 
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #356 of 3,525
  Hmmm.....why spend your money on something that's crippled. What a shame that the V10 hits the mark in every other aspect except the crippled Sabre DAC. I'm sure if they fix this, the V10 will be ranked the best sounding smart phone but too bad that's not the case for now. It's either they fix their **** or some other company with their brand new phone will and that one will be getting our money 
wink.gif

Because you're due for an upgrade and it's better than what you have.  V10 has the best camera and video on the market next to the Note 5.  Then in 1-2 years you can upgrade to a phone that has mastered the ESS DAC.  

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #360 of 3,525
Depends, what are you measuring ? The Snap dragon codec or the Sabres
biggrin.gif

Obviously sabres.

I've read some amateur reviews on the Lg v10... "spotify sounds the same to me in both dacs..." Really, spotify?...

The snapdragon codec has plenty of benchmarks all over the web, id say 805/808/810 haven't really improved (From what i've listened vs. say my DX 90) except maybe power/amp wise. (ala htc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back