LG V10. How much better does it get?
Jul 14, 2018 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Vilhelm

Head-Fier
My home PC audio setup is a Xonar DG sound card that connects to an Onkyo amplifier and for years that was my standard for decent audio source. +6 months back I got my first decent cans, the DT 770 Pro's, and so I began to learn that there's so much more in the SQ I didn't know of before. Listening a lot on these cans noticed my setup is lacking and probably isn't enough to drive the 770 Pro's properly because the sound felt a bit off like it could use stronger amplification, I couldn't push to high volumes without distortion, so I wanted to try a better audio source and did a little research.
I learned of LG V-series and such phones that actually have very decent DAC's and sound quality, and as I was needing a new phone as well it was something interesting to get.

Now I've been listening for hours and hours every day on the V10 and it's simply just amazing! I can't really even use the PC setup for music anymore cos it's just so bad in comparison.

Now I wonder, how much more is out there to be upgraded in SQ? Could I find such significant upgrades as I had with getting this phone for audio source? I'm looking at portable headphone amps in the range of 100-200€ but I'm not sure I wanna make that step if all I'm about to get is a higher volume level but no added detail/quality.

What do you think? Could a very decent headphone amp improve the sound in a way to blow me away again?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section.

Jul 14, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 4
If you use revealing/demanding enough headphones, then there can be massive improvements. But with just the DT 770 Pro, not massive and probably nothing that will blow you away.

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 4
If you use revealing/demanding enough headphones, then there can be massive improvements. But with just the DT 770 Pro, not massive and probably nothing that will blow you away.
Hm okay. I was already thinking the improved amplification is probably mostly useful for higher ohm/more demanding headphones.

Atm I mostly just use IEM's like RN QT2 which are just 15 ohms, though I wouldn't mind the higher volume levels for these, just wondering if I would also get improved SQ with a high quality amp.

I've seen some members here posting images with what I can only assume are high quality DAP's and 1-2 amps connected to it and using IEM's, I'm curious - whats the point? Perhaps for features like hardware equalizer and the added volume level? IEM's after all aren't that demanding amping wise, right?

Sorry for my noob questions, it's addicting to have these improvements in SQ and I'm wondering is there more to achieve here! :o2smile:

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Hm okay. I was already thinking the improved amplification is probably mostly useful for higher ohm/more demanding headphones.

Atm I mostly just use IEM's like RN QT2 which are just 15 ohms, though I wouldn't mind the higher volume levels for these, just wondering if I would also get improved SQ with a high quality amp.

I've seen some members here posting images with what I can only assume are high quality DAP's and 1-2 amps connected to it and using IEM's, I'm curious - whats the point? Perhaps for features like hardware equalizer and the added volume level? IEM's after all aren't that demanding amping wise, right?

Sorry for my noob questions, it's addicting to have these improvements in SQ and I'm wondering is there more to achieve here! :o2smile:

I have very little IEM experience but yeah they need very little power, and I doubt they scale well with really high end amps.

But I know what you mean, climbing that ladder is rewarding. It is why we do it! I started at the bottom of the ladder too, and made my way to the top. Interesting things to find every step of the way. I've even found $500-700 headphones that to me sound far better than $4,000 - $5,500 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back