LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Jan 12, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #512 of 1,179
Curious... is there any way to diagnostically actually "see" what bitrate the DAC process is running at?  Maybe some sort of running script that displays bitrate?.... Perhaps in the Developer Options menu?

With 50+ ohm impedances the difference is night and day different.

That's the amp not the DAC, which is the real strength of this phone. I'm not sure what "bit rate" you referring to here, or what exactly you wanna "see" it does beyond it's intended purpose?

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #513 of 1,179
That's the amp not the DAC, which is the real strength of this phone.

I agree. I've owned the Xiaomi Mi Note, Vixo X5 Max and Samsung Note 5 prior to the V10. I didn't find the sound quality of the V10 to be far superior to these phones, but it has a more neutral sound signature which I prefer to the Mi Note (rather warm) and Note 5 (slightly warm). The main downside of the Note 5 is the amp (or lack of), which I can imagine makes it hard to drive certain earphones. Apart from that, I found the Note 5 a step up from the Note 4 in audio quality.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #514 of 1,179

Went from an M9 to the V10 and it was a huge step up. The V10 is a true audiophile player in my opinion.

I made the same leap on the strength of the V10 reviews here, and I have to concur. The V10 is actually replacing my ZX1 as my on-the-go audio player, and that shocks me honestly.

It's night and day vs the M9 or any other phone I've tried in terms of audio. Just in general I like HTC better in terms of their smartphone software, but in audio they've been out done.

I did have to get the T-Mobile version of the V10 though, with the unlocked bootloader to bypass the bloatware, but I have it running fine on at&t.

I'm slightly different, the V10 has totally replaced my ZX2, I find the sound of the V10 much natural and better separation, the ZX2 doesn't sound natural at all. This is using the stock LG player.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #515 of 1,179

I'm slightly different, the V10 has totally replaced my ZX2, I find the sound of the V10 much natural and better separation, the ZX2 doesn't sound natural at all. This is using the stock LG player.

... Then you have to try out the Poweramp alpha version..... DL it TW the DAC fixit app... If you were convinced using just the Stock audio player, then this setup will amaze you...

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #516 of 1,179

Thank I'm not a true audiophile, just someone who like to listen to good music, the stock is good enough for me, and I tend to like to keep my phone clean with less apps, so even the fix, isn't needed for me.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #517 of 1,179
I was told the vivo X6 series is good

X6 with AK4375 DAC and X6 plus with ES9028+ES9603 DAC, it's a shame it doesn't have a removable battery, otherwise I get it pretty cheap directly from china.  

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #519 of 1,179
That's the amp not the DAC, which is the real strength of this phone. I'm not sure what "bit rate" you referring to here, or what exactly you wanna "see" it does beyond it's intended purpose?

Is there a way to tell what percent contribution is from the DAC and what is from the amp?
100% agree... the amp circuit is the best thing about this phone.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #520 of 1,179
Is there a way to tell what percent contribution is from the DAC and what is from the amp?

Well, the more accurate the component to the signal is, the more transparent it will be. The DAC and typically most SS electronics will fall into that category. Amps however be it power amp or headphone amp, will react to the load they will drive, (headphones, speakers) and therefore could influence the perceived subjective sound to the listener. Speakers and headphones are the chief reason for any sound signature, simply because they are the least accurate in the entire chain, and of course there is the human auditory system which is less than reliable, and varies in individual bases to draw any kind of meaningful conclusion beyond subjective tell tales.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #523 of 1,179
Hi Guys,

My phone got stolen today, it was Note3, I have been using a portable FIIO DAC/AMP with it. Now I have to buy a new phone, I think I will just go for one that doesn't need a portable dac/amp. I was going for the LG V10, but I found out that Spotify doesn't use the Hi-Fi chip? is this still the case? if so, it's pity, do you know of another smartphone with the same audio quality and amplification without any limitation? would something like meizu pro 5 allow Spotify to use its Hi-Fi chip? would it also provide proper amplification for dt-1350?

Thanks a lot.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #524 of 1,179
Hi Guys,

My phone got stolen today, it was Note3, I have been using a portable FIIO DAC/AMP with it. Now I have to buy a new phone, I think I will just go for one that doesn't need a portable dac/amp. I was going for the LG V10, but I found out that Spotify doesn't use the Hi-Fi chip? is this still the case? if so, it's pity, do you know of another smartphone with the same audio quality and amplification without any limitation? would something like meizu pro 5 allow Spotify to use its Hi-Fi chip? would it also provide proper amplification for dt-1350?

Thanks a lot.

There is an app on google play you can download for free that enables the hifi chips for all apps. So spotify will work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back