LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Aug 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #1,052 of 1,179
Looking at the leaked picks of the v20, the only way I see the batteries being flipped is through a modular setup.

I did have a scary thought when I read somewhere that it's water proof, if that's the case I think the v20 is sealed shut, I haven't read anywhere that the battery is removable. I hope it isnt a internal fixed cell. I'm not buying it if it is. That's the one thing I really like about the v10.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #1,053 of 1,179
Both the V10 and G5 had 3000mAh and V20 has same size screen as the V10.

Doubt LG can fit a 4000mAh battery and still keep it removable even after relocating the volume buttons from the back of the phone.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #1,054 of 1,179
My battery life is fine. With the screen off, playing music on my Q701 with hi-fi on I only see a 2-3% an hour drain. Divide 100 by 3 and you get 33.3. So that's over a day of continuous music playback. I don't call that bad. Now with the screen on, web browsing or using Facebook or whatever along with playing music you'd be lucky to get 5 hours. So I'd say it's not the amp and DAC draining the battery, It's the screen, the wifi/cellular radios, and the snapdragon processor using all the battery. In my experience, as long as the screen is off the battery life will be pretty good.

I also don't have Facebook or the Instagram app installed, and I set most other apps to not use data in the background. I also use an add blocker, have GPS set to power saving. Wifi is off when I'm not at home, Bluetooth is only on when I'm actually using it. I have no complaints about the battery life. It's definitely better than the HTC One M9 was.

The phone will charge completely in about an hour on the supplied charger since it has quick charge, and with a second battery with a charging dock I really don't see the issue.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #1,055 of 1,179
V10 has excellent run times if you don't have heaps of apps draining the battery flat in the background, it's amazing how many apps want to stay open once you open them, I use Shut App, and this closes everything you don't want left open.
I also don't use the internal micro USB, firstly the plug is attached to the main board and if it's damaged, it's going to be a painful experience, I also think fast charging will reduce the useful life of the battery. So I use wireless charging and also have a LG desktop charger and spare battery.

I really like wireless charging it's slow but very good in the night time, I just drop the phone on the stand, and it's charged in a few hours. And in the morning, it's full and ready to go.

But in the stock form with bloatware and 20 apps open in the background eating power, I'm not surprised the battery is draining fast for them, and this is before you play music with the hi-fi DAC.

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #1,056 of 1,179
Yeah, I use Shut App and charge wireless as well (also to save wear on the usb port). Only thing is my V10 gets fairly warm since I always have the Otterbox on (it adds a few mm to distance the charge must travel so more heat). Haven't tried it without the case to see if it would run cooler but the battery never goes beyond 40C so temps are safe (45C or higher would be an issue).

V10 had a lot less bloatware than my Samsung but I disabled and uninstalled apps I don't use. Only bluetooth is on most of the time (so I can answer calls via headset) and the 2nd screen eats some battery as LG stated (they said about 5% per day). So I agree battery life is ok if power isn't wasted.

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #1,057 of 1,179
I have found the 3 coil charger like this one doesn't heat as bad as a single coil flat bed, for some reason. Also easy to use as well.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201627239455

But yeah there's some heat produced with wireless charging, my phone goes up to 36c. And it's cold around these area, this time of year. I still think it's a gentle way to charge the cell in comparison to fast charging.

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #1,058 of 1,179
I use a couple of 3-coil Nokia chargers in different rooms so I can charge when needed. Tried a single coil years ago with another phone and noticed the extra heat right away. The highest temp I saw was also in summer heat so I know it'll be cooler rest of the year. I'm just glad the wireless charging still works with the case on so a few degrees more is ok.

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #1,059 of 1,179
With a proposed 4000ma battery in the v20 (I pray it's a removable battery), the power won't be an issue, especially with the ability to switch to a single DAC.
Even if it only gives 8hrs of music, with 24hrs standby time, this will be fine for me.

Will you be switching to 1 dac only when you can use them all? Sounds like : I will eat only chips, not the steak !

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #1,060 of 1,179
Will you be switching to 1 dac only when you can use them all? Sounds like : I will eat only chips, not the steak !

If I'm on a phone call or watching low quality YouTube clips or just listening to something poorly produced, often using the hi-fi DAC can make no difference, or actually make a bad audio recording sound worse. And all at the expense of battery life.

So I think it's important to be able to switch to single DAC audio.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,061 of 1,179
More V20 rumors:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/4xqf6o/_/

Says LG might include some pre-order bonuses like an extra battery, hand grip, and "Memory Module Attachment."

If so it means the V20 will have a removable battery AND modules like the G5.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #1,062 of 1,179
More V20 rumors:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/4xqf6o/_/

Says LG might include some pre-order bonuses like an extra battery, hand grip, and "Memory Module Attachment."

If so it means the V20 will have a removable battery AND modules like the G5.

I don't like the modular dac of the G5 because it is way too expensive for an accessory. I hope that LG won't get into such thing again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back