LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Dec 17, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #436 of 1,179
  May have found a partial solution for anyone not getting enough power to some headphones.

Happened to plug in a 3.5mm extender since a couple pair of my headphones' connectors are too wide or shallow to make good contact through the otterbox. Plus I thought leaving the extender connected while I swapped headphones might save some wear n tear on the V10's jack:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KE5NJ7W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Plugged in the extender first by itself and the dac switched on but went into aux mode:

Then I plugged the headphones into the extender but the V10 stayed in aux mode.

Tried it anyway and good news is aux mode's output power is somewhere between normal and high. Was able to get more volume to the headphones but not sure if the sound signature is affected.

Not sure how different this "method" is compared to using an impedance adapter (adapter likely the better choice) but those who already have a regular extender (even a 3.5mm extension cable might work) can try it for themselves.

Also, if you plug the headphones to the extender first then connect to the phone, the V10 detects the headphones as designed. I did this using my mk3s but when changing headphones at the extender end (I left the extender plugged into the phone) the dac stayed on and in high impedance mode (my PM-3s sounded incredible with it). Even when I turned the dac off with the extender still plugged in it remained on high when I switched it back on.

EDIT: I also confirmed that high impedance mode is NOT compatible with cable buttons. ANY headphone directly connected to the V10 with an in-line mic/remote cable will cause it to default to normal power. I confirmed this with the mk3, hd598, and portapro vs. ktc version. The mk3 and hd598 are barely usable at normal due to low volume and all (even the portapros) have more dynamic range in high power.

CONFIRMED. Have a male - male 3.5mm for an AUX input in my car. If you connect via headphone -⤑ Female-Male 3.5mm-⤑  V10. It will stay in AUX high gain mode. Cheers

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #438 of 1,179
Dec 19, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #439 of 1,179
Dec 19, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #441 of 1,179
Dec 19, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #443 of 1,179
guys i am loving this phone so so much now with the fix, now I want to aks for a better eq i can use when i stream music using akconnect, as the equalizer that got recommended is not doing it for me, is there a better one that i can use with streaming apps like akconnect

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #444 of 1,179
Has anyone encountered any issues with the app?

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #446 of 1,179
Good so far. Listening to Tidal (which worked before anyway) with my Q701 and things seem to sound as good as before. I tested with XiiaLive pro and youtube and the app does what it claims. 99% of the time I use the stock player and Tidal which both worked perfectly fine before this app, but Ill keep it on my phone for other apps as long as I don't notice a drop in battery life for some odd reason.

Also works with Google Chrome for stuff like streaming music off of Bandcamp.com.

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #448 of 1,179
Hi, I see your super long thread here about the V10 DAC !

I've had the phone now for almost a month and there's been a big update as of Dec 18th

TL;DR - Some guy / hacker / dude has created an app that causes the HiFi DAC to be used in all apps, really. And it works. And it's free. It seems to just disable the standard dac, everywhere. Just search "V10 DAC" in the android store and you'll spot it, and it really works.

Here's more details.

I saw comments from early November saying the ATT version would play the HiFi dac everywhere. Nope. Some apps support it, some don't. There are lists online now about what does and doesn't. The LG app, running on local files, certainly works, and you can use that to compare quality and see which players are using it. You can't go by the icons or anything else - you have to listen for it. Google Music seems to currently support it for local files but not streaming files. Neutron seems to. Pandora yes. Spotify no. It goes on and on.... but that's all over with this hacky little app.

Does the dac quality matter? Hell yeah, to my ears, but it's funny. I tried some friend's very high end B&W headphones, and I heard almost no difference between high quality and low quality ( and I don't like those headphones, everything sounds "middle of the road" ). All the other headphones --- and I went around the office trying people's stuff --- night and day difference, even if you turn the volume down and try to get same-volume listening. I didn't try a real A-B test ( with a friend setting the levels ) --- but the hifi dac the music was more alive - detailed - not crispy, not bassy, just RICH.

Does it use more battery? Probably. Hard to say. The V10 is a bit of a battery hog anyway, still working on that, and I bet the hifi dac doesn't help.

Does the app require root ? No. Will it work on all V10's ? Probably, I have an ATT. Since it's not root, the app is probably just disabling one of the dacs. [ The v10 has a few other problems like this --- such as the two selfie cameras, where both cameras are available in only some apps. Someone needs to build an out-board "switcher" for the non-LG camera apps, too ]. Will the app still work on Marshmallow ? Who knows.... MM is months away, likely ( just came out for the G4 so it's getting closer but the V10 has a bunch of fancier hardware & drivers ). Does the app have ads? No, seems to have nothing but a little script that disables a dac and written out of the goodness of a hacker's heart. Get the APK while you still can !

Now, with this app installed, you really get access to the HiFi DAC everywhere. All the streaming apps. Your keyboard clicking sounds. Everything. One of the problems is there's a little audible "click" which sounds to happen when sound changes format or sample speed? So if your traffic announcing voice comes on in the middle of a tune, and then back to music, there's often a little audible pop. Finally, I hear a lot more background noise with the "good dac", which is kind of funny, but that's complicated because my day-to-day earbuds are Bose 20's and they have electronics in them. I'm looking for some earbuds to go along with this dac ( now that I can use it everywhere ! ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back