LG Quadbeat 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #301 of 451

It doesn't mask or really warm up the midrange too much.

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #302 of 451
  Inks seems to have a higher opinion of them than you do, so I would expect him to have a degree of motivation.

I haven't written anything not because a lack of motivation for these, as vwinter pointed out I haven't written much in a while, I just don't have the time. I still like the QB2 very much and it's why I have loaned them out, so people are getting write-ups from others as well. I want to get mine back so start the write-up and also have mod ideas. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #303 of 451
These came with my LG G2 and when i first tried them out on my X3, it wasnt impressive. After about a week of listening, my GOD..it makes my XBA-40 look like a joke for the price. My G2 is black so i got a black one. Seriously considering the white one just cos it sounds beautiful. Totally agree with OP about the SQ. Vocals have great extension and bass sound full. Didnt seem overlapped. Just my 2 cents :)

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #304 of 451
Dec 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #305 of 451
Dec 13, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #306 of 451
Had the quadbeats 2 for a week now as it came with my LG G2. After reading this thread, I gave it a shot and used it instead of spending another hundred bucks for an IEM (c'mon ~$650 is hard on the wallet). I must say this is surprisingly solid. The low end seems to be a bit bloated but I'm not complaining. Midrange is solid though I find guitars a bit honky at times. Highs were surprisingly good. Crisp and has ample amount of shimmer and energy to make my happy. I wasn't expecting much from a smartphone-bundled IEM but QB2 exceeded my expectations. They are solid and probably keep me satisfied for a while as my IEM for commuting. 

A bit OT. They sound better from my iPhone 4 than my LG G2. Same files and all. Hmm.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #307 of 451
Had the quadbeats 2 for a week now as it came with my LG G2. After reading this thread, I gave it a shot and used it instead of spending another hundred bucks for an IEM (c'mon ~$650 is hard on the wallet). I must say this is surprisingly solid. The low end seems to be a bit bloated but I'm not complaining. Midrange is solid though I find guitars a bit honky at times. Highs were surprisingly good. Crisp and has ample amount of shimmer and energy to make my happy. I wasn't expecting much from a smartphone-bundled IEM but QB2 exceeded my expectations. They are solid and probably keep me satisfied for a while as my IEM for commuting. 

A bit OT. They sound better from my iPhone 4 than my LG G2. Same files and all. Hmm.

Anandtech did a smartphone sound quality analysis. The G2 introduces 5%+ THD at max volume, while the iPhone does not. See if you can use a USB DAC.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #308 of 451
Anandtech did a smartphone sound quality analysis. The G2 introduces 5%+ THD at max volume, while the iPhone does not. See if you can use a USB DAC.

So what?  The Quadbeat 2s shouldn't need anything approaching max volume coming out of the G2 unless you desperately need to destroy your hearing.  

Saying "get a USB DAC" is pointless for this "problem".

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #310 of 451

So what?  The Quadbeat 2s shouldn't need anything approaching max volume coming out of the G2 unless you desperately need to destroy your hearing.  

Saying "get a USB DAC" is pointless for this "problem".

Unless you actually needed to use max volume, like on the Nexus 5 which shares a similar chipset... so it is very much relevant and not pointless at all.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #311 of 451

Unless you actually needed to use max volume, like on the Nexus 5 which shares a similar chipset... so it is very much relevant and not pointless at all.

Again, we're talking about the Quadbeat 2, not any other set of headphones.  You should not, under any circumstances, be running the Quadbeat 2 at max volume out of the G2.

So no, it's very much not relevant at all and poor advice.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #312 of 451
Unless the G2 is the only smartphone anyone will ever use to listen to the QB2, it is still very much relevant. The data is in the article, and I own a Nexus 5, not a G2, so it is very much relevant to people such as myself. Your choosing to ignore this objective data is your own choosing.

Please try and refute this. Even the G2 shows elevated THD on the left channel, but not as bad as the Nexus 5, which is based off the G2. The amp is poor, and needs the extra volume.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/smartphone-audio-quality-testing

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #313 of 451
I'm not refuting the data.  I'm saying it's irrelevant.  We're talking about issues that exist at, or very near, maximum output volume.  Unless you're using headphones with substantial impedance (or, again, you desperately wish to permanently damage your hearing) it will never be an issue.  This is true for not only the Quadbeat 2 but literally hundreds of other models of headphones on the market.

Stop introducing variables that simply don't exist in this situation.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #314 of 451
  I'm not refuting the data.  I'm saying it's irrelevant.  We're talking about issues that exist at, or very near, maximum output volume.  Unless you're using headphones with substantial impedance (or, again, you desperately wish to permanently damage your hearing) it will never be an issue.  This is true for not only the Quadbeat 2 but literally hundreds of other models of headphones on the market.

Stop introducing variables that simply don't exist in this situation.

The Nexus 5 has a poor amp, so it does not drive the QB2 very well, despite the QB2 having 97db of sensitivity, so yes, you need max volume on it, because it barely achieves listening levels at max volume.

When you run it at max volume, the QB2 sounds like crap. This article explains why, and this is very important to anyone with a Nexus 5 such as myself. Other earphones at or less sensitive than the QB2 will have the same problem.

If you keep telling me to ignore this, then you are being ignorant to the fact this is very much real for Nexus 5 owners, and applies to the QB2. Since the Nexus 5 is based off the LG G2 chipset, it is good to keep this in mind. They didn't post THD numbers at other volumes, but they could be elevated as well, to a lesser degree.

Point being, if you have either of those phones, test the QB2 on another source as well just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back