LG G7 ThinQ DTS-X
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #196 of 292
1. The G7's battery is as good as any on the flagship smartphone market. My friends using iPhone X, Samsung S9 etc. need to charge their phones just as often (if not even more than) me.

2. The sound quality is as good as any sub-1000$-DAP on the market.

3. The Quad DAC works with any audio source. Tested it with Tidal, Spotify, Youtube, Google Music, Stock Player, Poweramp...

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #197 of 292
1. The G7's battery is as good as any on the flagship smartphone market. My friends using iPhone X, Samsung S9 etc. need to charge their phones just as often (if not even more than) me.

3. The Quad DAC works with any audio source. Tested it with Tidal, Spotify, Youtube, Google Music, Stock Player, Poweramp...

1. Partly agree. The G7 has surprisingly good battery life but it's not on par with the big dogs. My OnePlus 6(i own and use both) has very roughly 5-10% better battery life, the newer 6T had even better battery life. Galaxy Note 9 also have a better battery life. Mi Max 3(very different phone) last 2 days with heavy use (I own it). That said I don't complain about the G7, it easily last a day with heavy use.

2 . Don't agree. This hobby is very subjective and my opinion is as good as any. I will take any of my daps over the G7 any time of the day. That goes with all my headphones and iems. The difference is not night and day but with the DX158 it's more than noticeable.

3. Agree

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #198 of 292

I don't agree with 2 either. Sub 400 dollar daps sure. I'm taking full retail. Not to mention the LG phones are missing balanced.

Feb 24, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #201 of 292
Did any of you know anything about the "LG G7 Fit"?
It should have the same audio components as the LG G7 Thinq, but costs only 230 € in Germany, which, if that were true would be a great bargain.
It seems like the phone is only available in Germany: https://www.lg.com/de/handy/lg-G7-fit

You can read more about it here. https://www.google.dk/amp/s/www.poc...lg-g7-thinq-vs-lg-g7-fit-vs-lg-g7-one.amphtml

And yes it does have the "Quad" DAC. 230 Euro is cheap. On the other hand LG G7 can be bought for less than 400 euro. Don't know what's the best deal!

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #202 of 292
I have had this phone for about a week of testing. Here are my thoughts.

Price: I switched from Verizon to Google Fi. They have a promotion on the phone - USD $550 plus a $200 credit to your bill. That basically makes it a $350 phone.

Background: Coming from a Samsung Galaxy S7 (unlocked Qualcomm Snapdragon version). The dac in the S7 was great for iem's. Nothing to scoff at really. For efficient cans it was ok. The dac was good enough, but the amp was the same old "we must protect the ears of the average ape" output level. I used a Zorloo Zuperdac for iem's or FIIO e18k for cans. Both using Neutron player and a library of mostly FLAC and some 320 kbps MP3's. When listening on my PC I use the same dac/amp setup and Foobar 2000 or Media Monkey.

Tested can's/iem's:
I mostly listen through a set of highly modded T50-RP mk III's or another set of mk III's that I gave the full on Open Alpha treatment to. The Open Alpha's are a friggen black hole that sucks all power provided from the e18k. (325 mW I believe). I used both sets to evaluate the G7, as well as V-Moda Crossfade M-100's (very efficient style cans) and some Tin Audio T2's as my choice iem.

Software: I used Neutron player and the LG player. The LG player does take direct control of the dac, but read about the impedance issue below.

Impedance note:
I have found out along with many others, that the G7 auto senses impedance and picks high or low gain to match. This is no good for T50's. The moded T50's are listenable, but the Open Alpha's were not in my opinion. I read on another forum that if you trick the phone into going into aux mode it gives you high gain. You can achieve this by plugging in a right angle adapter or similar do-dad before opening the LG player. After the player is open, plug your cans into the adapter and be happy with high gain. This is kinda finicky though. I use Neutron player and it just takes complete control of the dac and always seems to be in high gain mode. This made my Open Alpha's listenable without an amp and the T50's could be really enjoyed without an amp. As a side note, I have found no way to force it into high gain with spotify witch is a major minus. If this thing is targeted at hi-fi users it should have a software slider switch to lock in high or low gain on the pop-up that appears when you plug anything into the headphone jack.

Sound impressions: It's a good dac. It's hard for me to tell the difference in sound between dacs. Definitely on the same level as the Zooperdac or e18k. I actually like it better than either of those. Sounds smooth and distortion free.

Power!: The real reason I wanted this thing, is to do away with do-dads attached to my phone and still be able to listen to good cans. (I know it's a stretch with planars) I do continue to use the e18k as an amp (bypass the dac) because even that amp cannot completely satisfy the Open Alphas. I prefer the G7's dac to the Zuperdac or e18k. It can power the modded mkIII's to a satisfying listening level using Neutron player, but not with spotify. It's great for iem's because no more USB plug used up by the zuperdac. On long flights I can simultaneously charge and listen to music or watch movies. The V-moda's are easily driven to high volume. I want to try it with something like a HD650. So far the conclusion is: It has a good amount of power to release, but figuring out how to release it is tricky at best. No high gain with spotify is a major minus for me.

The display: Coming from the OLED display on the S7 to the IPS on the G7, I was a little concerned that I wouldn't like it. On the contrary, It is a perfectly acceptable display with good contrast. The black isn't pitch black in the dark like the OLED, but in all practicality the only advantage I see in that is if you use the "always on display". It looks cool in the dark and saves a little battery. The plus of the IPS display is that it can go super bright for a few minutes while you are outside in direct sunlight. You can see the display really well. This is awesome when I am skiing and want to pull up a different playlist on the lift.

(edited for formatting)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #203 of 292
I have had this phone for about a week of testing. Here are my thoughts.

Price: I switched from Verizon to Google Fi. They have a promotion on the phone - USD $550 plus a $200 credit to your bill. That basically makes it a $350 phone.

Background: Coming from a Samsung Galaxy S7 (unlocked Qualcomm Snapdragon version). The dac in the S7 was great for iem's. Nothing to scoff at really. For efficient cans it was ok. The dac was good enough, but the amp was the same old "we must protect the ears of the average ape" output level. I used a Zorloo Zuperdac for iem's or FIIO e18k for cans. Both using Neutron player and a library of mostly FLAC and some 320 kbps MP3's. When listening on my PC I use the same dac/amp setup and Foobar 2000 or Media Monkey.

Tested can's/iem's:
I mostly listen through a set of highly modded T50-RP mk III's or another set of mk III's that I gave the full on Open Alpha treatment to. The Open Alpha's are a friggen black hole that sucks all power provided from the e18k. (325 mW I believe). I used both sets to evaluate the G7, as well as V-Moda Crossfade M-100's (very efficient style cans) and some Tin Audio T2's as my choice iem.

Software: I used Neutron player and the LG player. The LG player does take direct control of the dac, but read about the impedance issue below.

Impedance note:
I have found out along with many others, that the G7 auto senses impedance and picks high or low gain to match. This is no good for T50's. The moded T50's are listenable, but the Open Alpha's were not in my opinion. I read on another forum that if you trick the phone into going into aux mode it gives you high gain. You can achieve this by plugging in a right angle adapter or similar do-dad before opening the LG player. After the player is open, plug your cans into the adapter and be happy with high gain. This is kinda finicky though. I use Neutron player and it just takes complete control of the dac and always seems to be in high gain mode. This made my Open Alpha's listenable without an amp and the T50's could be really enjoyed without an amp. As a side note, I have found no way to force it into high gain with spotify witch is a major minus. If this thing is targeted at hi-fi users it should have a software slider switch to lock in high or low gain on the pop-up that appears when you plug anything into the headphone jack.

Sound impressions: It's a good dac. It's hard for me to tell the difference in sound between dacs. Definitely on the same level as the Zooperdac or e18k. I actually like it better than either of those. Sounds smooth and distortion free.

Power!: The real reason I wanted this thing, is to do away with do-dads attached to my phone and still be able to listen to good cans. (I know it's a stretch with planars) I do continue to use the e18k as an amp (bypass the dac) because even that amp cannot completely satisfy the Open Alphas. I prefer the G7's dac to the Zuperdac or e18k. It can power the modded mkIII's to a satisfying listening level using Neutron player, but not with spotify. It's great for iem's because no more USB plug used up by the zuperdac. On long flights I can simultaneously charge and listen to music or watch movies. The V-moda's are easily driven to high volume. I want to try it with something like a HD650. So far the conclusion is: It has a good amount of power to release, but figuring out how to release it is tricky at best. No high gain with spotify is a major minus for me.

The display: Coming from the OLED display on the S7 to the IPS on the G7, I was a little concerned that I wouldn't like it. On the contrary, It is a perfectly acceptable display with good contrast. The black isn't pitch black in the dark like the OLED, but in all practicality the only advantage I see in that is if you use the "always on display". It looks cool in the dark and saves a little battery. The plus of the IPS display is that it can go super bright for a few minutes while you are outside in direct sunlight. You can see the display really well. This is awesome when I am skiing and want to pull up a different playlist on the lift.

(edited for formatting)
The G7 is a great phone. I also switched from Verizon to google fi and they had a good deal on the G7. This phone can easily be your 'portable' solution and can double as a nice desk setup connected to a nice headphone amp.

Mar 6, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #204 of 292
Ok, so I was just reading a thread on reddit. There seem to be three modes. normal, aux, and high impedance. I think that I have only been able to get it into normal and aux. There don't seem to be any notifications like the v30 users get. You just have to listen. I am getting an inline volume control to try and trick it into high impedance with my T50's.

Mar 6, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #205 of 292
Ok, so I was just reading a thread on reddit. There seem to be three modes. normal, aux, and high impedance. I think that I have only been able to get it into normal and aux. There don't seem to be any notifications like the v30 users get. You just have to listen. I am getting an inline volume control to try and trick it into high impedance with my T50's.
Install the Hi Fi status app from Google play. Trick high impedance with a Y splitter cable, and a pair of high impedance earbuds such as the cheap VE Monks.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #206 of 292

Just for information. You won't get "better" sound quality in high impedance mode, only more power. Cans over 50 ohm automatically trigger high impedance mode. If you don't need this power there's no need to do anything.

And yes recent LG phones don't state which mode they're in. You need to know your headphones and how much power they require to reach the volume you want.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #207 of 292
Just for information. You won't get "better" sound quality in high impedance mode, only more power. Cans over 50 ohm automatically trigger high impedance mode. If you don't need this power there's no need to do anything.

And yes recent LG phones don't state which mode they're in. You need to know your headphones and how much power they require to reach the volume you want.
You won't get better sound, however you can get greater synergy from my experience. Especially with moderately hard to drive, lower impedance cans.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #208 of 292
You won't get better sound, however you can get greater synergy from my experience. Especially with moderately hard to drive, lower impedance cans.

Yes, don't necessarily disagree. I often trigger my G7 into AUX mode for some of my iems. Gives a bit more headroom.

LG should combine normal and AUX into one mode. No need to have 3 modes.

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #209 of 292

I agree about sound quality. It's basically just hi/low gain switching. My Fostex T50-RP headphones are 32 ohms, but very low efficiency planar drivers. They get even worse for efficiency when you mod them because of damping and such. They simply need more power to drive them appropriately. My need to force the g7 into high impedance mode is for these cans specifically. I wish the switching could be done manually instead of automatically based on impedance. Auto is convenient yes, but also a PITA when you have a situation such as the T50's create.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back