LG G6 Sound Quality
Jul 21, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #271 of 453
A little late to this party, but just my 2 cents.

The LG G6 Quad DAC drives my Sennheiser HD 600s with no problem. In fact, I'm at -3dB on R & L channels at 35/75 volume (tops out at 75).

Sounds great. Clean, crisp, clear, with excellent instrument separation and well defined bass. Mids & vocals sound natural and don't take a back seat to lows or highs. It's just a nice, balanced sound. Obviously the HD 600s have a lot to do with it, but my point being, is the Quad DAC itself does not color the audio IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    634.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #274 of 453
So when we talking about quad dac is only about higher volume? What about the quality?

Is the sound difference so noticable? And what about if i want to use wireless headphones? Cause i listen music when i am running and exercising at gym.

Wired or Wireless, quad dac or not , i guess i wont understand difference on sound quality.. But i like this phone cause of its small dimensions, a little weight, water resistant. All of these important when i am running.

Its not due to just louder:)..It gets louder as phone feels " External Audio device connected".

I own V20 and G6.I like G6 sound signature. Crispy clear well balanced.!Well you can try G6 from somewhere if possible! Its good!!!

G6 got aptxHD in wiresless.But..ummm quad DAC I find better personally.More fuller sound more you increase the channel balance dB.:).

Enjoy audio:)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #275 of 453
Well i ordered the EU Version of the G6 but then i got a bit worried about my OCD not having the perfect phone, that i cancelled my Order and bought the Aussie/HK/Rus G6 with Quad DAC. Well the biggest problem is that i only use In Ears when listenting to music on my phone. I tried my 990 LE's and they triggered HiFi mode, but i still just use my Phone when working out, so this is not a option. I tried my Soundmagic EC10 and they sound horrible in AUX mode, i don't even tried them without a Resistor adapter. The Sound is really loud, and i know what loud means when i plug my 990s (250 Ohm) into my Essence STX with High Gain mode. Both are deafening. But the Sound Signature is way too Boring and lifeless. It does make no fun to listen, i don't want to master Music on my phone on the fly, so i don't really see a reason in making the DAC so neutral that if you plug another neutral headphone in that you have zero wet bass. It may distort the Sound, but i use the EQ of Blackplayer to get them to a level where i can actually listen too without getting bored.

My EC10 need to go and i will give another In-Ears with >50 Ohm a try. If someone can suggest a pair of them i would be happy, my Budget is 100 Euros max.

I also got the Zorloo ZuperDAC and i prefer them to the G6. The Stage seems wider and the Sound is more dynamic. Loudness wise the LG DAC is way superior, but the ZuperDAC is approx +30% louder then without. According Sound Quality i listened to the Standard G6 and it sounded great, better then my G6 with AUX mode. Much more Dynamic and Saturated.

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #276 of 453
So here it goes.
After lots of confusions and doubts i finally bought LG G6 with quad dac version and bought SOUNDMAGIC E80C earphones with it.
There is that change when using the high impedance earphone.
All instruments can be heard distinctly.
All guitar strings can be heard well especially when guitarist plucking the strings of acoustic guitar.

Its like i have entered a new phase of music.
Thanks to everyone here for helping me out and bearing my question and Special thanks to Juan Carlos Bagell of Pocketnow to change me into new direction of music listening by picking up the quad dac version

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #278 of 453
I have a question that I'm not sure I have seen the answer, Does triggering the high amp mode (aka higher ohm headphones or a small extender cable) also trigger the quad dac? What I mean is if I use an efficient set of headphones (with out unplugging the cable from the headphone or using an extender cable), will the LG G6 (or the v20 for that matter) default to the regualr dac on the phone vs the quad ESS dac?

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #279 of 453
@OctavianH
Yes, if you want to use the full potential of your DAC then there is no way except using HiFi mode (also known as High Impedance mode). It will surely drain your battery faster because the amp is driven harder for your HD600.

@cardeli22

According to a LG Technician who did an interview about the G6 Hardware said that the Four Channel DAC is only used fully when in High Impedance mode. But this is not completely the final anwser because everyone says different. Some people hear a clarity increase even in AUX Mode. Not sure about Placebo tho because people hear sound differencences already by just changing their Cables. So i don't trust this in the end. The "usual" understanding of the Sound Modes are as following :

Normal Mode : AMP Default Power / 1 Channel of the DAC is used
AUX Mode : AMP Increased Power / 1 Channel of the DAC is used
High Impedance Mode : AMP Full Power / 4 Channels are used

At least thats what a Technician said, but i don't trust those so called "Engineers" because they can't speak proper English and may not understand the question completely. There is currently no truth because everyone says otherwise. If you would ask me, i'd say my 990 LE's don't sound any better with activated HiFi mode compared to normal Audio mode (You can trigger both modes in your Quick Access Bar). Even with the High Gain Trick using a Ohm adapter and Y Adapter i noticed no difference in Clarity or Stage. It's just louder with my EC10s.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #280 of 453
@OctavianH
Yes, if you want to use the full potential of your DAC then there is no way except using HiFi mode (also known as High Impedance mode). It will surely drain your battery faster because the amp is driven harder for your HD600.

@cardeli22

According to a LG Technician who did an interview about the G6 Hardware said that the Four Channel DAC is only used fully when in High Impedance mode. But this is not completely the final anwser because everyone says different. Some people hear a clarity increase even in AUX Mode. Not sure about Placebo tho because people hear sound differencences already by just changing their Cables. So i don't trust this in the end. The "usual" understanding of the Sound Modes are as following :

Normal Mode : AMP Default Power / 1 Channel of the DAC is used
AUX Mode : AMP Increased Power / 1 Channel of the DAC is used
High Impedance Mode : AMP Full Power / 4 Channels are used

At least thats what a Technician said, but i don't trust those so called "Engineers" because they can't speak proper English and may not understand the question completely. There is currently no truth because everyone says otherwise. If you would ask me, i'd say my 990 LE's don't sound any better with activated HiFi mode compared to normal Audio mode (You can trigger both modes in your Quick Access Bar). Even with the High Gain Trick using a Ohm adapter and Y Adapter i noticed no difference in Clarity or Stage. It's just louder with my EC10s.
LOL wow so confusing. Thanks for the breakdown. So even in Normal mode it doesnt use whatever generic dac from the SoC but one of the four ESS dacs, right?

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #281 of 453
Yes the Sabre DAC is used even in Normal Audio mode, i can vouch for that because i heard the Snapdragon Sound of the "Standard G6" and it sounded completely different. Less neutral, less clear but with a wider stage.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #282 of 453
Well i ordered the EU Version of the G6 but then i got a bit worried about my OCD not having the perfect phone, that i cancelled my Order and bought the Aussie/HK/Rus G6 with Quad DAC. Well the biggest problem is that i only use In Ears when listenting to music on my phone. I tried my 990 LE's and they triggered HiFi mode, but i still just use my Phone when working out, so this is not a option. I tried my Soundmagic EC10 and they sound horrible in AUX mode, i don't even tried them without a Resistor adapter. The Sound is really loud, and i know what loud means when i plug my 990s (250 Ohm) into my Essence STX with High Gain mode. Both are deafening. But the Sound Signature is way too Boring and lifeless. It does make no fun to listen, i don't want to master Music on my phone on the fly, so i don't really see a reason in making the DAC so neutral that if you plug another neutral headphone in that you have zero wet bass. It may distort the Sound, but i use the EQ of Blackplayer to get them to a level where i can actually listen too without getting bored.

My EC10 need to go and i will give another In-Ears with >50 Ohm a try. If someone can suggest a pair of them i would be happy, my Budget is 100 Euros max.

I also got the Zorloo ZuperDAC and i prefer them to the G6. The Stage seems wider and the Sound is more dynamic. Loudness wise the LG DAC is way superior, but the ZuperDAC is approx +30% louder then without. According Sound Quality i listened to the Standard G6 and it sounded great, better then my G6 with AUX mode. Much more Dynamic and Saturated.

Try Soundmagic E80c. It's high impedance mode earphone pf 64ohms and there is significant difference

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #283 of 453

Compared to v20 LG G6 has flatter spund signature dac or more clear audio. So wjen you need that extra non boring thing... Try some ear/headphones with bass signature.

And buddy don't try aux mode for low impedance of 16ohms. Drivers and wires are fragile for 16ohms so if u try to push more voltage which you do via aux mode, it actually destroys earphone and music listening experience

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #284 of 453
Some impressions on the h870ds G6 with the heir 10.0s. Without triggering aux mode the lack of power is noticible. Thankfully aux mode can be triggered easily by inserting your headphone chord into the phone without having the *earbuds* or *cans* plugged to the chord, do it after.

I think the G6 really delivers. I came from an m9 so i cant really compare it to much. Regarding the bass and the low-lows. I can agree with others on previous pages about the bass being somewhat suppresed. Dont get the wrong idea, it delivers the thumps when called for. But in some segments(often times for me) the bass feels somewhat suppresed compared to other sources. I personally think its tolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back