LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
May 10, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #662 of 1,050
My review of the HiFi module is live on my blog Gavin's Gadgets. It can also be found in the generic review section, audio.

Just for fun I also tested it with the Samsung S7 as a standalone dac.

Any questions , just ask as usual.

Cool, will check it out.
About the LG Tone Platinum, how would you say it is comparing to the Hi-Fi module? Since it would be pointless to buy both

And are you going to review the HTC 10?

Cheers

May 10, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #663 of 1,050
Cool, will check it out.
About the LG Tone Platinum, how would you say it is comparing to the Hi-Fi module? Since it would be pointless to buy both

And are you going to review the HTC 10?

Cheers

You could quite easily just use the Tone headphones. But you can't beat over the ear wired headphones. The module just gives you more options.

I am hoping we see more aptx HD headphones soon.

Personally I don't like in ear headphones but I do like the Tone Platinum.

May 10, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #664 of 1,050
Just got today my G5. Great phone so far. I am glad I did not listen to those bad reviews about quality and paint or fit issues.

But to our subject. How it sounds. I only tested comparing bluetooth connection in my car and home audio so far. Compared to note 3 it has a different sound signature. The sound stage seems bigger and more detailed but the bass on note 3 is a bit punchier(easily fixed by changing my subwoofersettings :) )

Tomorrow I will test the qualcom dac. And i hope amazon sends that B&O dac soon!!

May 10, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #665 of 1,050
Well despite my idiotic screw up thinking I was getting a free Hi-Fi Plus module, I decided to keep my order that comes with the free B&O H3 earphones and I added the Hi-Fi Plus to the order as well (my credit card is in tears). So, I'll be able to add some thoughts to the whole package as well. 

May 10, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #666 of 1,050
  are there any good those b&o h3?

They are decent.  I like the sound signature.  Fairly flat, similar to the AKG on ear sound, but with a bit more mid bass, and less sub bass. Very nice sound stage.  Clarity is good, not great.  I got them for like $80 with my module and I don't regret it, but I wouldn't buy them for full price.  

Android Authority ran measurements on the module and it performed very well considering the convenience of barely adding any size or weight to the phone.  HUGE improvement over stock. I love this thing.  Absolutely worth the money to me.

May 10, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #667 of 1,050
My review of the HiFi module is live on my blog Gavin's Gadgets. It can also be found in the generic review section, audio.

Just for fun I also tested it with the Samsung S7 as a standalone dac.

Any questions , just ask as usual.

Thanks for a great review Gavin - I'll be counting down the days until mine arrives now. Can't wait! I just returned my S7 Exynos and I have lots of faith in the G5. As a phone so far, I love it. The DAC will be the icing on the cake. 

A lot of people are criticizing LG for charging extra for this device where it should have just been built in. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the V10 had a very lousy implementation of a great DAC/amp that only worked on select players. This, to me, is a great solution that can either be left in the phone, or installed when you plan to listen. Yes, it costs a lot, but it's less than many standalone DAC/amp combos AND it fits nicely into the phone without cables or rubber bands. For me, it's perfect. I have an Oppo HA-2 that may or may not be better, but the fact is that I NEVER use it because it's a pain in the rear to set up and get working correctly. This will be heaven for me. 

Best, 

-Collin-

May 10, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #669 of 1,050
Think I might order the HiFi Plus again in case I had a faulty model.

May 10, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #670 of 1,050
  Because of its sound?

No really, but I enjoy the G5 more (I also have the HTC 10 and don't want three phones). The S7 Exynos version sounded fine to me, but it has a very weak amp and volume was an issue for me on all but my most sensitive IEMs. With the Hi-Fi module, I'm hoping to be able to even power some full-sized headphones and not just IEMs. That, and my other phones use USB-C and it just made the most sense overall to keep the G5 and the 10. I actually love the S7 as a phone and the camera was outstanding. I'm sure I'll miss it in due time :)

-Collin-

May 10, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #671 of 1,050

No really, but I enjoy the G5 more (I also have the HTC 10 and don't want three phones). The S7 Exynos version sounded fine to me, but it has a very weak amp and volume was an issue for me on all but my most sensitive IEMs. With the Hi-Fi module, I'm hoping to be able to even power some full-sized headphones and not just IEMs. That, and my other phones use USB-C and it just made the most sense overall to keep the G5 and the 10. I actually love the S7 as a phone and the camera was outstanding. I'm sure I'll miss it in due time :)

-Collin-

so do u like the lg g5 sound more than the htc10

May 10, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #672 of 1,050

-Collin-

I listen to my HD650's via the dac, there driven with ease.

May 10, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #673 of 1,050
  so do u like the lg g5 sound more than the htc10

I haven't received the Hi-Fi Plus module yet, so I can't compare that. Just straight out of the G5 vs. the 10 the HTC is a clear win. 

I listen to my HD650's via the dac, there driven with ease.

Interesting. Maybe I am going deaf :) You have the Exynos S7?

May 11, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #675 of 1,050
  Think I might order the HiFi Plus again in case I had a faulty model.

Judging by your previous comments it is definitely possible.  That or the cans you are using just don't pair well with this DAC.  Check out the measurements of the DAC on Android Authority.  It was such a night and day difference to me I worried they had added some EQ, but it turned out stock just had a lot of roll off in comparison.  I've tried probably 8 sets of on-ear and iems and everything has had a very noticeable improvement over stock.  By the way... you were using the bottom 3.5mm plug in the DAC not the top plug right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back