LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
May 7, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #632 of 1,050
Yes certainly is in terms of SQ, also found out the volume bug I mentioned earlier is caused by linking the B&O module as an usb device via the Onkyo HF app, if not linking it the volume wont suddenly pop up to max level.

Question is, is it better quality than the V10 only with the Hi-Fi module or without it, too?

May 7, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #633 of 1,050

Yeah I saw that last night. I dunno...........someone posted earlier on here that T-Mobile is supposed to get the B&O DAC I think first? But no idea when. 

If you care about sound quality, then get the new HTC 10. I have the S7 and I have issues when connecting it to my amp/DAC via USB. When playing stored music, it hiccups quite often in one sitting. And when I tried watching a YouTube video last night using same setup, it kept stuttering (like hiccup but worse lol) like CRAZY so I had to listen from (crappy) speaker (or could've done direct-connect to headphone). lol Someone on here said he tested out the S7 DAC itself (something I wouldn't even bother doing lol) and said the bass was kinda muddy on it. I bet ANYTHING the HTC 10 will sound MUCH better, despite their dumb decision to remove one of the front-facing speakers and put it at the bottom. Plus word is it has a really solid DAC and super powerful (for a smartphone lol) amp on it as well. Just google today's reviews and you'll see. 

I'm gonna wait for the Sony Xperia X Performance though. It will have to be purchased unlocked (Amazon or Best Buy), but I think it's worth it (see nice vid). Comes out in June. PM me if you want more details

That's obvious about the S7, question is which sounds better, the LG G5 or the HTC 10?

May 7, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #634 of 1,050
As much as I respect the opinions of others the whole sound thing is as we know subjective.  I maintain that although the module improves on the sound of the G5 it is not in the league of say the Oppo HA-2.  The lack of power when driving my earphones I found very lacking.  No real improvement on using without the module.

What it does do is give a good all in one solution if your happy with the sound but for me it is nowhere near good enough to compete with a dedicated dap of reasonable quality.

May 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #635 of 1,050
Imo the HiFi plus module sounds better than the V10.

The G5 general sound is reasonable. Bluetooth is very good even if you only have standard aptx headphones and not the new hi res aptx version.

But with the module its a whole new ball game so far.

I'm streaming music from Google Play Music and its still awesome.

With UAPP its really good.

Headphones tested so far.

Sennheiser HD598se, Oppo PM-3, Dunu Titan 5 and Sony XBA-1.

Every headphone is sounding the BEST I have ever heard from them.

I recently got the Audioquest Dragonfly Red. Its very good. But IMO not a patch on the module.

Versus the HTC 10. Not tested yet but will be very soon.

May 7, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #636 of 1,050
Imo the HiFi plus module sounds better than the V10.

The G5 general sound is reasonable. Bluetooth is very good even if you only have standard aptx headphones and not the new hi res aptx version.

But with the module its a whole new ball game so far.

I'm streaming music from Google Play Music and its still awesome.

With UAPP its really good.

Headphones tested so far.

Sennheiser HD598se, Oppo PM-3, Dunu Titan 5 and Sony XBA-1.

Every headphone is sounding the BEST I have ever heard from them.

I recently got the Audioquest Dragonfly Red. Its very good. But IMO not a patch on the module.

Versus the HTC 10. Not tested yet but will be very soon.

Great, thanks :) Waiting your take on HTC 10 vs LG G5 then.

May 8, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #638 of 1,050
I listened a bit longer over the last day or so and have actually come to conclusion that the G5 is reasonably good without the module.  Listened with the IE800 and to be honest the HIFI Plus adds very little to the sound quality, does add a little but not a great deal.  Anybody thinking of buying should ensure they buy from a retailer where they can return the unit.  

May 8, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #639 of 1,050
  I listened a bit longer over the last day or so and have actually come to conclusion that the G5 is reasonably good without the module.  Listened with the IE800 and to be honest the HIFI Plus adds very little to the sound quality, does add a little but not a great deal.  Anybody thinking of buying should ensure they buy from a retailer where they can return the unit.  

Don't know to say if that's good or bad news lol. Now I just need to know how the sound is comparing to the HTC 10.

May 8, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #640 of 1,050
I personally think it's bad news but then I'm used to listenng through either a Mojo or the DP-X1 so maybe my expectations were too high to start with.  

The G5 with module does not sound much better than the either the G5 on its own or the Samsung S7.

May 9, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #641 of 1,050
I am surprised with your comments when the What Hifi magazine said that the module on the G5 is probably the best audio from a phone by far and makes the iPhone 6S sound like a blunt instrument. 
Also the internal components of the module are exactly the same like the V10 so they are very similar. From some comparisons I have read the G5 sounds more detailed and the soundstage is bigger than the V10 because of the tweaks the B&O team made. 

Of course comparing to the Mojo which is a dedicated and much more expensive device is unfair but from what I read the sound on the S7 is crap!

I haven't tested the G5 with the module myself. I have preordered it from amazon.de and I will post my comments when I get it.

May 9, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #642 of 1,050
Actually the module is a huge improvement over the original dac and has been measured if you look at some of the tests. Those who don't notice the difference obviously don't need it. Also, the guy who keeps complaining about the volume apparently doesn't realize it is automatically setting the max gain. There is a workaround but yeah it is kind of a bad design decision. Using an amp isn't about getting more volume (though it can be part of it of course) The automatic gain setting on this module can be an issue with low sensitivity cans because of this, but it keeps you from ruining your hearing if you accidentally max out the volume on your phone. There has already been plenty of discussion on it in this thread and the V10 thread.

I can't stand the onboard DAC. I hated my old S5 one as well. The only phone DAC I've ever been able to tolerate was the Wolfson in my old S3. The B&O module is definitely a noticeable improvement over anything in a phone I've ever heard and is on par with many external DAC/Amps.

May 9, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #643 of 1,050
As I said earlier each to their own but in my opinion it is not worth £150.  I only compared to the Mojo as a bit of a yardstick as it wouldn't be fair to do a proper comparison however the module is also not in the same league as the Oppo HA-2 which for a few quid more is by far the better option.

The volume issues i'm aware off and there may be a workaround but with my own iem's the increase in power was minimal.  

There is an improvement in sound and it may well make the G5 the best sounding phone but no way is it worth £150.  

The S7 may not sound amazing but to be honest it is not that far off the G4/G5 or various other phones.

Also the build quality is shocking, gaps when connected and too much flex.

May 9, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #644 of 1,050
HTC 10 review is up here.  Enjoy . The best about the 10 hu fidelity is that it works with everything that I tried so far, web streaming music, movies, Netflix,  the cw.....etc...games....etc without any struggles or hassle

http://www.head-fi.org/t/807570/review-on-htc-10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back