LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
May 5, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #616 of 1,050
  can u tell what headphones or iems u used it with

Flare audio R2pro, Aurisonics 2.5 and Oppo PM3.  Will be trying with my Senn IE800 tomorrow.

Going to give it a few hours tomorrow but may end up returning it.

May 5, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #618 of 1,050
I too have ie800's get the dac into aux or high gain. Run it in for a few hours, then give it another listen.

What do you mean by aux or high gain, I've got the 2 dials on settings maxed out.

May 6, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #620 of 1,050
Ijust had the opportunity to playba little with thw G5 ata showroom. Unfortunately none of the lg friends (including the hifi plus) are available yet to buy.

Overall the phone is awesome but the screen seems a bit small compared to my Note 3.

I also tested the onboard qualcom DAC using my headphones (UE triplefi10 with upgraded cable)
The sound was disappointing compared to my note 3. It sounded muffled and boomy. I was hoping it will be at least equally good to my note 3 but nope! It sucks especially considering the 3 years difference between the phones. Its like lg wants to push the sales of the hifiplus module which i will be surely buy if i end up buingbthe phone

May 6, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #621 of 1,050
My HiFi plus has been packed away and is being sent back over the weekend.

Sound quality is ok, not as good as my Onkyo Dp-x1 which I didnt expect it to match but its nowhere near really. Also lacking in power despite using the gain dials on the G5.

Lastly it doesn't feel very secure when fitted to the phone, gaps between the module and the body and quite a bit of flex as well.

May 6, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #622 of 1,050
Ijust had the opportunity to playba little with thw G5 ata showroom. Unfortunately none of the lg friends (including the hifi plus) are available yet to buy.

Overall the phone is awesome but the screen seems a bit small compared to my Note 3.

I also tested the onboard qualcom DAC using my headphones (UE triplefi10 with upgraded cable)
The sound was disappointing compared to my note 3. It sounded muffled and boomy. I was hoping it will be at least equally good to my note 3 but nope! It sucks especially considering the 3 years difference between the phones. Its like lg wants to push the sales of the hifiplus module which i will be surely buy if i end up buingbthe phone

Get the v10

May 7, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #623 of 1,050
Get the v10

I wish I could. It is not available in my country. In whole Europe I think only 1 provider in Germany offers the V10. In order to be covered by my company it has to be included in my mobile plan.So I was waiting for the G5.
From what I hear from reviews the hifi plus module is equally good, if not better from the v10.But I dont understant why LG is delaying the release of it.Especially when the onboard sound of G5 sucks...

The only thought I have is if maybe it needs some sort of burn in.... the demo unit was at the store for only 1 day and I doubt anybody used the headphones plug before me :)

May 7, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #624 of 1,050
I wish I could. It is not available in my country. In whole Europe I think only 1 provider in Germany offers the V10. In order to be covered by my company it has to be included in my mobile plan.So I was waiting for the G5.
From what I hear from reviews the hifi plus module is equally good, if not better from the v10.But I dont understant why LG is delaying the release of it.Especially when the onboard sound of G5 sucks...

The only thought I have is if maybe it needs some sort of burn in.... the demo unit was at the store for only 1 day and I doubt anybody used the headphones plug before me :)

The standard dac in the G5 is typical smartphone. It does improve with time, used mine for a week during my commute. The sound clears up quite a bit, as good as my Samsung Galaxy s6 edge plus. But the hifi module puts it in a different league.

May 7, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #625 of 1,050
Just a heads up. I have the LG Friends , LG Tone Platinum Bluetooth aptx HD headset. It's the first headset with the aptx HD codec.

These headphones are really good and it is questioning the whole HiFi module . I will test the module out this week. It's due to arrive Tuesday and see what I think versus the tone platinum.

May 7, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #626 of 1,050
The standard dac in the G5 is typical smartphone. It does improve with time, used mine for a week during my commute. The sound clears up quite a bit, as good as my Samsung Galaxy s6 edge plus. But the hifi module puts it in a different league.

It does put the phone in a different league but the build quality is shocking, gaps between the phone and the module.  

The G5 is a great phone with a excellent camera and I don't regret buying the phone however LG have dropped a bit of a clanger with the HiFi module, this DAC should have been part of the phone.  Hopefully another company will make a more suitable DAC unit in the future.  My advice would be to hold off for now.  

May 7, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #627 of 1,050
The postman made me happy. My HiFi Module arrived early. Thanks to Clove Technology where I pre ordered it. Listening with my Sennheiser HD598se and UAPP. Results are fabulous. This G5 is brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back