LG G3 as a portable source?
Jan 15, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #121 of 228
I'm running a custom ROM on mine right now and it is giving me some buzzing, despite zero problems with my sound on both my previous ROM and the stock ROM. Maybe updating/downloading a different ROM will fix buzzing issues?

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #122 of 228
Hi all,
got this device about a week ago. Quite satisfied with it in general.
Regarding sound. Just could not wait more for Xiaomi Mi Note and needed dual-sim phone after my Alcatel Idol X+ was "killed" by wife (did not like its sound much, though, it was too boomy, maybe because of bad audiolibs).
I don't like sound of HTC. And after all I did not intent to buy phone without DAC, however, bored to wait, so now I have to deal with what I have :)

Well, I have Sennheiser IE80 headphones for a while. Sounds not bad with G3, but sound is not too... transparent. It's like veiled, if you understand what I mean. Like music is heard in another room and door is semi-closed.
So I need more bright and crisp sound. Tsa-tsa... :) Which headphones you would suggest me to try?

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #123 of 228
  Hi all,
Regarding sound. Just could not wait more for Xiaomi Mi Note and needed dual-sim phone after my Alcatel Idol X+ was "killed" by wife (did not like its sound much, though, it was too boomy, maybe because of bad audiolibs).
I don't like sound of HTC. And after all I did not intent to buy phone without DAC, however, bored to wait, so now I have to deal with what I have :)

Well, I have Sennheiser IE80 headphones for a while. Sounds not bad with G3, but sound is not too... transparent. It's like veiled, if you understand what I mean. Like music is heard in another room and door is semi-closed.
So I need more bright and crisp sound. Tsa-tsa... :) Which headphones you would suggest me to try?

What player are you using? Neutron is very popular here. I use Poweramp with equalizer most of the time. For IEM have you tried Vsonic GR07? With my G3 it produces crisp sound, and that's an understatement 
normal_smile .gif

Even with stock player I'm surprised that the IE80 is giving you veiled sound.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #124 of 228
Hi all,

Any BA driven iem should do the job , the ie80 is warm and one of the most bassiest iem I owned, depending in your budget you might be happy with a VSD3S or Etymotic ER4P/ Shure SE425

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #125 of 228
Even if I purchased Poweramp and Neutron, I still found that stock players always sound more neutral, these 3rd party applications doesn't have the same behavior on every smartphone, it depends on the dac and how it has been tuned from the factory! I had a G3 for a week before I returned it for the iphone 6, it's sound quality was on par with the htc m8 but quieter, the details were good , I found it too warm and mid centric overall but surely a contender for the best music phones on the market right now!

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #126 of 228
  Hi all,

what's your budget. i have the ie800s and asg-2.5's for my lg g3. love em both in their own way

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #127 of 228
Depending on how much luck you'd have, the IE800 and G3 could well end up being a VERY treble-centric combination...

This is from personal experience, and why I cannot recommend the G3 in the same league as other top tier handsets.

YMMV of course.

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #128 of 228
Depending on how much luck you'd have, the IE800 and G3 could well end up being a VERY treble-centric combination...

This is from personal experience, and why I cannot recommend the G3 in the same league as other top tier handsets.

YMMV of course.

I have the G3. There are better non-smartphone DACs out there, but I've never heard that claim, other than your observation, that the G3 has worse SQ than other flagship smartphones.
I compared G3 to Nexus 10 - which is known to have good sound and with A<->B test using Vsonic GR07 IEM's I can't say one is better than the other.
Obviously the app/player used matters.

Here are SQ test posted on XDA that interpret GSMARENA testing results:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/general/phones-best-sound-t2888989

G3 is near the top for every test. If you can find anything that contradicts this other than your own observations, please share.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #129 of 228
^^ Compared to my iPhone 5, the G3 is definitely brighter but exposes more detail as well. If you like a dark sound, I'd advise someone to be very weary of pairing the IE800 with the G3 as Duncan is correct - although not completely. I think the G3 has a comparatively bright sound, but has no emphasis on treble, only perceivably for those sensitive to it. Thus, you must be able to withstand a bright treble sound if you wish to pair the two. That doesn't mean that the IE800's are a poor pairing, but if you like dark sound then this pairing isn't for you. As far as SQ, I'd rate it amongst the top.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #130 of 228
I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Shure E215, mainly for the detachable cable. Anyone use this pairing of have any good experiences with another pair of iem that have a detachable cable and G3?

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #135 of 228
Can't say that I'm too sure either, other than that this would reduce perceived pressure on the jack plug...

Odd that it is called a splitter, but there is only one socket??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back