LG G3 as a portable source?
Oct 28, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #169 of 228
The G3 just came to Boost Mobile. Anyone have any experiences with it?

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #170 of 228
The G3 just came to Boost Mobile. Anyone have any experiences with it?

depending on what your gonna use them with and your listening habits.  It has pretty good SQ, good enough for on the go, but volume output is kind of low.  They work good with iems, but headphones are depending on how loud you listen to music and which headphone you use.  It does its job and if you want, you can add a amp/dac later.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #171 of 228
depending on what your gonna use them with and your listening habits.  It has pretty good SQ, good enough for on the go, but volume output is kind of low.  They work good with iems, but headphones are depending on how loud you listen to music and which headphone you use.  It does its job and if you want, you can add a amp/dac later.

well I ask because Ive seen phones that come from premium contract carriers to cheaper prepaid carriers a year or two later have different specs (cheaper) than the original. I plan on using the M4U1 and T70p. I prefer listening right from the headphone jack but I do have a FiiO E18 dac/amp. Did I read somewhere that the G3 supports 192khz audio? or am I just dreaming?

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #172 of 228
well I ask because Ive seen phones that come from premium contract carriers to cheaper prepaid carriers a year or two later have different specs (cheaper) than the original. I plan on using the M4U1 and T70p. I prefer listening right from the headphone jack but I do have a FiiO E18 dac/amp. Did I read somewhere that the G3 supports 192khz audio? or am I just dreaming?

The G3 does support Hi res files. However, I use my E18 with my G3. For me its a clearer, more detailed, and more rewarding sound than my X5+E12 combo. Volume output is also much better though the E18 (in DAC mode, not AMP mode).

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #173 of 228
By the way, to anyone interested..... I previously raised a concern of using the E18 with the G3.my concern was that, when using the E18 as a DAC, I was still able to adjust the volume from the phone. To me this suggested that the audio was still being processed by the phone instead of being bypassed.
I think I may just have confirmed this to be true. Earlier tonight I installed Hibymusic (music app) and what do you know..? A message popped up asking me if I want to allow Hibymusic to access the USB device. Now, I can't adjust the volume from the phone, only from the E18,which suggests that there is no audio processing being done by the phone anymore.
I prefer the UI of the stock music player, but Hibymusic is still quite clean... Clean enough that I'll stick with it. I also tried Poweramp and Shuttle, but neither of them did the bypassing.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #174 of 228
By the way, to anyone interested..... I previously raised a concern of using the E18 with the G3.my concern was that, when using the E18 as a DAC, I was still able to adjust the volume from the phone. To me this suggested that the audio was still being processed by the phone instead of being bypassed.
I think I may just have confirmed this to be true. Earlier tonight I installed Hibymusic (music app) and what do you know..? A message popped up asking me if I want to allow Hibymusic to access the USB device. Now, I can't adjust the volume from the phone, only from the E18,which suggests that there is no audio processing being done by the phone anymore.
I prefer the UI of the stock music player, but Hibymusic is still quite clean... Clean enough that I'll stick with it. I also tried Poweramp and Shuttle, but neither of them did the bypassing.

Interesting. I've always used USB Player Pro, which also ask to use the E18 when its connected. I remember music playing even when the phone volume is mute, but I'll double check later. How does the E18 fair when used in amp only mode with the G3?

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #175 of 228
Interesting. I've always used USB Player Pro, which also ask to use the E18 when its connected. I remember music playing even when the phone volume is mute, but I'll double check later. How does the E18 fair when used in amp only mode with the G3?

I'm cheap, Hibymusic is free lol. I did once test out the E18 just as an amp, I wasn't too impressed. This is just because the volume coming from the headphone jack just isn't very good. Something I did like though is that the G3 knows when an amp is connected to it, and will switch between headphone out and lineout for the headphone jack.

I must say, I sold my X5+E12 combo because I preferred the detail of the E18. I now realise that some of that detail was artificial as the signal was still being processed by the G3 DAC. Now that I've switched to Hibymusic, I still get the detail that I liked, but without the added siblance introduced by the G3 DAC. very very pleased with this setup.
But, I suspect that I can still get further improvements by using an amp like the E12A..which will be my next experiment.
I will soon be reviewing the X7,and will compare it to the G3+E18+E12A combo. Would be interesting to see if a $320 (excluding cost of phone) setup could match or better the $650 X7

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #176 of 228
im running stock rom, but rooted.

What variant are do you have? Im on verizon, v985

Can I ask how you rooted your phone? I am on the internation d855 variant. I need to root to use undelete software

On a more on topic note, I have a G3 with CA Dacmagic XS and Sony MDR-EX650 IEMs, I definitely notice an improvement with the DAC

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #177 of 228
IIRC when rooting you'll have to reinstall everything, so if you have a treasured memory or otherwise that you need to get back, I do not believe rooting will be your answer.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #178 of 228
IIRC when rooting you'll have to reinstall everything, so if you have a treasured memory or otherwise that you need to get back, I do not believe rooting will be your answer.

Are you sure rooting wipes out everything on your phone? I have seen video tutorials with the one click root solution where everything is intact. I am going to copy everything to a hard drive anyway with a program I found which keeps all the photos attributes, a program I wish I found earlier

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #179 of 228
How old is that video though, I swear LG patched that exploit...

Either way, good luck :)

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #180 of 228
  Are you sure rooting wipes out everything on your phone? I have seen video tutorials with the one click root solution where everything is intact. I am going to copy everything to a hard drive anyway with a program I found which keeps all the photos attributes, a program I wish I found earlier

Different variants uses different methods to root.  I think I saw a one click root for some g3 variants.  Mine wasn't a one click, but one of the hardest ones to root.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back