LF Good Headphones straight out of iPod
Jun 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Syndromez

New Head-Fier
Hey head-fiers,

I'm looking for another pair of cans that I is driven well by an iPod (actually it's a Zune, but that shouldn't make a big difference) without the need for an external amplifier. Price shouldn't be much higher than 200€ (250$) Hopefully, some of you guys can help me find something.

I mainly listen to Electro/Dubstep, Rock (e.g.Muse, Hard-Fi), Alternative (Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys), so these are the genres that the headphones should shine at.

I don't really care whether they are closed or open-back, so far I usually use my Phiaton MS 400 on the train/plane, and would probably use the new headphones mainly at home. I thought about getting the Grado Sr225i or the Ultrasone HFI 2400 cans, but I have not yet had an opportunity to try them out.

Considering the information you have, which headphones would you guys recommend? If there's any more information you need, just let me know. Thanks a lot!

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 17
Also interested in this :)

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 17
Go for the Grados. You don't really even have to spring for the SR-225, you could go for the SR-60 and then mod them for 30-50 dollars and get them equal to the SR-225 and some even say equal to the SR-325. An amazing thread that gives a step by step how-to on modding the SR-60 and also some great discussions on what it makes it sound like is Bilavedio's SR60-Mod thread.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 17
Grado's are nice with rock and jazz orientated music, and are pretty easy to drive, but I wouldn't consider using them with hiphop/dubstep related music.

I'd check out the Audio Technica on ear portable line; ATH ES7 / ATH ESW9 / ATH ES10

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 17

Seconded on that recommendation! ES7 is a bit rough with great bass but the ESW9 and ES10 are awesome when it comes to you genres
Quote:
Grado's are nice with rock and jazz orientated music, and are pretty easy to drive, but I wouldn't consider using them with hiphop/dubstep related music.

I'd check out the Audio Technica on ear portable line; ATH ES7 / ATH ESW9 / ATH ES10

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 17
Just listing the genres you listen to can point people in the right direction but it's largely irrelevant compared to what sound signature you are looking for.  You have the phhiatons, so make a list of pros and cons of the phiatons and include what you like and dislike about the bass, midrange and treble. 

Otherwise you'll get a bunch of pretty random recommendations. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 17
I love the Phiaton's midrange. It is warm, very clear and smooth. The highs are good, but sometimes roll off a little bit and lack this sparkle that I've heard in my brother's cans (forgot the name). Also, I think the Phiaton's have a fairly broad soundstage.
The bass is tight and punchy, but seems a little bit recessed to me at some songs. I would like to have a pair of cans that produces clear and crisp sound as the Phiatons, as well as having a tight, but stronger bass and an even wider soundstage.

So in summary,

Pros:
- Clarity + Detail
- easy to drive
- super comfortable
- good soundstage

Cons:
- Bass is tight but not powerful enough
- lacks a little bit of sparkle in highrange

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 17
Is there any reason you couldn't use IEM's in public? I fail to see the point of listening to portable of full-size headphones in public. If you have an aversion to sticking long pointy objects in your ear canal, which I can totally sympathize with, I'd suggest the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 for what you have listed. Just make sure you take damn good care of the cable and don't do anything stupid with it.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 17
For Grados straight out of Zune, I might prefer SR80s than SR225s. Driven by my iPod Classic, IMO SR225s actually do not make a huge improvement from SR80s and even sound a bit "drier". The super-thick long cable with 1/4 stereo plug may also be a little inconvenient .

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 17
Thanks for all the replies. I have absolutely no problem using IEMs, I guess I just haven't ever tried any high-end IEMs, I had several models between 30$-50$ and right now I have the Sennheiser CX 870, which sound good but not exceptionnel. Can IEMs compete with full-size headphones in the same price range? If yes, I am definitely tempted to try some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back