LF A Good Pair of "Cans" $250 Under
Aug 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Moe91

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone how are you guys today I hope everyone doing well. Well here is my story My logitech g 35 headset broke and after the second year warranty ran out they said they wont replace them anymore :frowning2:. I have a big head so the left ear kept breaking off when i would take it off my head the headphones would still work but it would snap off the top part. They changed it four times because of that -_-. Anyways so Ive been researching for new headphones I stumbled on Mad Lust Envy,s Guide. Which opened my eyes who would have known headphones could be so complex I learned so much from just reading on these forums how Head Fiers call them "Cans" Etc. The Information, help and the courtesy on these forums  wish every forums was like this such a awesome community.

Well here is my dilemma  I want a pair of cans under  $ 250 I have three considered.

AKG Q 701
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Headphones-Black/dp/B004444O3W

Sennheiser HD 598
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=15473413779&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1787716990365537630&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B0042A8CW2

Audio Technica ATH- 900
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD900-Audiophile-Open-air-Headphones/dp/B0006OQY2S

So I want these headphones mostly for gaming
CS Go
BF3
Skyrim
Guild wars 2
Mass effect 3

Not all Fps Games I know the sound stage on the 900 are huge and that's good for fps for placement.

I also listen to music such as

Coldplay
The Script
30 seconds to mars
Hans Zimmer
Stuff like that

Sorry for the long post guys I hope I posted this right my grammar isn't the best either :frowning2:
Thank you for your time  :)

- Moe

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 24
Listening to Paradise by Coldplay while typing this!

I was in the same situation about a month ago and I tried the HD598 and the Q701's out. No experience with the 900's.

I just preferred the larger soundstage of the Q's and found out I prefer headphones with less bass and something thats more of a microscope. I use the E11 with it and by changing the EQ setting, you can easily change the bass setting to have more of it.  I listen to a lot of different genre from rock to classical.

Between the two, for comfort, the HD598's easily wins for me... The small bumps on the Q's does get annoying after a hour or two of listening. Though, the sound quality of the Q's makes up for any type of negatives I have for it.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 24
Since your on a PC, a combination that performs nicely above its weight is ASUS Xonar Essence ST + AKG K242HD.

The asus gives you a great DAC, dolby headphone, and a decent built in headphone amp for the AKG. The AKG K242HD (Velour pads) or AKG K240mkII (leather pads, removable cable) can be found for around $100 if you look, and really can perform up there in a good setup. 

it has great soundstage and imaging, and is comfortable. and you can modify the sound signature quite a bit with opamps on the soundcard or amps in general.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 24
Thanks for the fast reply guys and your time !
Ive never even heard of those series before  Does anyone have any other recommendations ?
I will look into them do you think they are better then the 598 and does a sound card help alot. I was looking into getting one but some people said on board is just as good.

Thanks so much
Moe

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:
Thanks for the fast reply guys and your time !
Ive never even heard of those series before  Does anyone have any other recommendations ?
I will look into them do you think they are better then the 598 and does a sound card help alot. I was looking into getting one but some people said on board is just as good.

Thanks so much
Moe

ah no, its miles better then onboard, and ironically the DT880 is a good match for the Asus. I'm a bit lacking in Beyer knowledge... so I don't know the prices.

If your budget can to Asus + DT880, I think you will be quite happy, if not find an AKG and you will still be and so will your wallet.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 24
+1 for Quincy Jones! My Q701's sound great for just about any kind of music out there. The soundstage is very vast, the quality bass makes music sound so much better and the overall SQ is phenomenal. Highly recommended. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 24
I am leading toward them atm. Maybe have to go for a cheaper sound card. Does anyone have any experience with PC gaming with them can they work with any game ?

Thanks for your time guys :)

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
I am leading toward them atm. Maybe have to go for a cheaper sound card. Does anyone have any experience with PC gaming with them can they work with any game ?

mad lust envys gaming headphone thread, find it.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 24
Hi there Moe91.

If you're looking for a closed headphone with a wide soundstage, then the ATH A900x would definitely fit the bill.  I don't own the A900 but from what I have read, they are an upgrade over them in most areas (especially the pads since they won't break down on you after a few months).  I game a lot myself and they are very comfortable with a nice smooth sound that isn't fatiguing.  Detail is pretty good and to me they are very very comfortable.  The treble has some sparkle and the bass is present but not overpowering.  Cymbals are also incredibly realistic and crisp for rock and jazz songs.  As stated before the vocals are very smooth and offer a nice listening experience.  I think that these would do well with movies though I haven't had a chance to try them yet since I have only had them for two weeks.  

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 24
Also AKGs in general work well with the ST or STX, especially if you roll opamps.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

They work well in any kind of game. I particularly liked them in LA Noire. But, maybe it was just the game, IDK.

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
Thanks guys for your time and help.
So if i get the AKG 701 and a soundcard will i need to get a amp also ? For pc Gaming ?

nope:) the built in one in the ST/STX is good enough, change the opamps to modify the sound, and you can upgrade the amp for musical purposed way later if you want, but its not necessary. 
Good opamps are THS4032 or LME49990. I use THS032 in IV section. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 24
Ok thanks so much for you help guys I think I'm going with the Akg Q701  What sound card would be a good match. Under $150 would be great !!!!!!

Thanks for your time and effort :)

- Moe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back