LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #1,741 of 1,901
@LETSHUOER Support
I bought BGVP DMA and enjoy them, forgetting about the S12 Pro like a bad dream! :xf_wink: The heat shrink is not formed so aggressively (the radius of the rounding is optimal, not too small and not too large), but at the same time the cable fits perfectly behind the ear, and the shells are not constantly pushed out of the ear canal. In terms of sound, this is also definitely a step forward!

I can only wish LetShuoer to urgently do something about these disgusting heat shrinks with an extremely small radius of curvature 🫣 And yes, due to too aggressively formed heat shrinks, two-pin plugs constantly come out of their connectors, which is simply infuriating! You constantly have to push them deeper into the connectors. And it’s not just me who has a problem with this (I read the opinions of others, they also complain about this). Moreover, I have two copies of S12 Pro and both have this problem 🤦‍♂️ What’s also annoying is the long plug (especially 4.4 mm), which is poorly held on the cable and often remains in the DAC connector when you try to remove the cable from it. All these problems are not present in BGVP DMA!!! That's why I adore them! 😍

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #1,742 of 1,901
@LETSHUOER Support
In my opinion, this is an ideal implementation of heat shrink:

DSC08533_1.jpg

image;s=2016x1512

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #1,743 of 1,901
Last point on condensation, I will have to get back to you on this since I don't have a perfect answer at the moment. Thanks.
I don’t know in what conditions and laboratories you test your IEMs, but it has long been known that all in-ear headphones with a metal body cause condensation to form in the cold season and in high humidity :sweat_drops: This is the most common physics, which you cannot escape - a warm human ear comes into contact with cold metal, which leads to the formation of condensation. That is why many manufacturers prefer shells made of plastic, resin, acrylic, and if metal is used, it is only on faceplates, as in BVGP DMA and Moondrop Blessing 3. In the end, it was necessary to make at least the sound tube and grille/mesh out of plastic, as Sennheiser did this for their IE 600 model.
I had FiiO FD5, which has a stainless steel body, and your LetShuoer S12 Pro, which has an aluminum body. And in both cases, in the cold season and with high humidity, condensation forms at least on the sound tube meshes. On Amazon you can read a lot of complaints about the formation of condensation in the cult, without exaggeration, Moondrop Aria, the shells of which are also entirely made of metal. It’s just that not everyone looks at sound tube meshes after listening to music 🤭
Personally, after briefly using the FiiO FD5 and LetShuoer S12 Pro, I finally decided for myself that I would never again buy in-ear headphones whose shells are completely made of metal.

P. S. I think, or rather hope, that this is the reason why you made the inside of the shell of your new S15s out of resin :thinking: Aluminum is used only on faceplates.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #1,744 of 1,901
@LETSHUOER Support
I bought BGVP DMA and enjoy them, forgetting about the S12 Pro like a bad dream! :xf_wink: The heat shrink is not formed so aggressively (the radius of the rounding is optimal, not too small and not too large), but at the same time the cable fits perfectly behind the ear, and the shells are not constantly pushed out of the ear canal. In terms of sound, this is also definitely a step forward!

I can only wish LetShuoer to urgently do something about these disgusting heat shrinks with an extremely small radius of curvature 🫣 And yes, due to too aggressively formed heat shrinks, two-pin plugs constantly come out of their connectors, which is simply infuriating! You constantly have to push them deeper into the connectors. And it’s not just me who has a problem with this (I read the opinions of others, they also complain about this). Moreover, I have two copies of S12 Pro and both have this problem 🤦‍♂️ What’s also annoying is the long plug (especially 4.4 mm), which is poorly held on the cable and often remains in the DAC connector when you try to remove the cable from it. All these problems are not present in BGVP DMA!!! That's why I adore them! 😍

You get a polite and well considered response from a company that could have just ignored you and all you can do is complain some more.

Good grief.

Others, myself very much included, don't really care how big your ears are and therefore what radius the ear loop should be for you. The one you posted looks like it would be bigger than I want so the fact that you think that design is right is of no interest to me at all. Regardless, I would take 5 minutes with a hairdryer and change it to suit me but you think a company should make them just for you, that is utterly ridiculous beyond reason.

Your ear loops are now apparently pulling the two pins out ? You have very very loose two pins, I would imagine from pulling the cable in and out a lot, don't know why you would do that.

Regarding the termination at the amplifier end pulling out. Did you notice that the connection is right at the back of the plug assembly ? Did you stop and think why that might be ? That is so there is plenty of room at the front of the plug assembly to pull on when removing the plug from the amplifier so you don't disconnect the plug. If you are pulling the plug assembly off when removing it from the amplifier you have no understanding of even the most basic design considerations, pull at the front not the back.

The plug that you show in that image is all but the same design concept as the Letshuoer one and yet you apparently have no problem with that one, how can that be ?

I have come to conclude that you are an utterly unreasonable person with ridiculously unrealistic expectations or you are just messing with people here for kicks. I almost lean towards the latter because I struggle to believe that anybody is genuinely so unrealistic as all your complaints make you seem. Either way I have wasted far too much time trying to rationalise this stuff with you over the course of the last few pages here.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #1,745 of 1,901
I`ve been using my S12 Pros since a few months and went in between absolutely loving them and at the same time wanting a bit more (warmer sig, more bass).

My main gripe so far has been the comfort. While the black and white silicons seal fine, they hurt my ears after 1-2 hours. Also while the bass was nice with them, it good muddy on some tracks with my Ifi Hip-Dac and X-Bass enabled and was lacking a bit without it for my taste. Now this pairing is nice, with the GTO Firmware they sound too bright for me but with 7.0 its great.

Yesterday I was about to pull the trigger on a ISN H50 but I might wait some more. Just got the Spinfit W1s today and its true what everyone was saying! The soundstage instantly opened up and more importantly, the bass is more controlled and tight -> no more distortion when using X-Bass!

Honestly I really like how they sound right now and they are so much more comfy. I also got the CP145s and will test them later but the W1s are keepers for sure! Could legit be something for bassheads in this config (without x-bass there is definitely something missing).

TLDR:; Spinfit W1 + S12 Pro is a great pairing which opens up the sound and makes the bass tighter, love it

Anyone with experience with S12 and ISN H50: Is this a sizeable upgrade or should I get the EST50? Was also thinking about getting the S15 but I think with they way they sound now, I don`t need another planar :)

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #1,746 of 1,901
IMO everyone should have a collection of tips and should always do some tip rolling with every new IEM because not only do they change the comfort but also the sound by quite a bit in some cases.

TLDR:; Spinfit W1 + S12 Pro is a great pairing which opens up the sound and makes the bass tighter, love it
You should try other tips too, Spinfits are quite average in comparison with what's out there.
The new Penon Liqueur are quite a surprise in terms of comfort, Divinus Velvet are very comfy, Dunu S&S change the sound quite a bit but they're not super cushy, Final Type E are great if you want more bass, etc

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #1,747 of 1,901
IMO everyone should have a collection of tips and should always do some tip rolling with every new IEM because not only do they change the comfort but also the sound by quite a bit in some cases.

You should try other tips too, Spinfits are quite average in comparison with what's out there.
The new Penon Liqueur are quite a surprise in terms of comfort, Divinus Velvet are very comfy, Dunu S&S change a sound quite a bit but they're not super cushy, Final Type E are great if you want more bass, etc
Read that too but they were the easiest to get. And so far I really like them (can`t say that for the CP145 that I also ordered, takes away some bass and doesen`t sound as open as the W1s). They just seem like a good fit for me (very comfy and good seal) but I will try some of the ones you mentioned soon.

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #1,748 of 1,901
Something that puzzles me is this. When I read the reviews of the S12 on Amazon, it almost looks like the original S12 gets overall better reviews than the Pro model. Is the original S12 the overall more popular model?

I changed out my tips (Divinus as mentioned aboe) now the S12 is much more comfortable for sleeping and relaxing on my side. But the new tips smooth out the high end a bit too much, at least compared with the JVC. I am now a believer that tip rolling can make a big difference.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #1,749 of 1,901

The new Penon Liqueur are quite a surprise in terms of comfort, Divinus Velvet are very comfy, Dunu S&S change the sound quite a bit but they're not super cushy, Final Type E are great if you want more bass, etc
I always appreciate a discussion of tips as part of a discussion about IEMs.

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #1,750 of 1,901
Something that puzzles me is this. When I read the reviews of the S12 on Amazon, it almost looks like the original S12 gets overall better reviews than the Pro model. Is the original S12 the overall more popular model?
It could be. I have both the S12 and S12 Pro and to my ears the Pro has smoother treble which for me is not a plus as I am not sensitive to treble and I like the incisiveness of the OG, I like the treble on the S12 as it is. I know the Pro has foam in the nozzle so it doesn't surprise me the treble is toned a down a bit.

I'm not sure how other people see it though.

Or maybe the Pro didn't sell as much, coming out later at a higher price initially.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #1,751 of 1,901
There are tastes and tastes...
I consider the Pro better and also think it still has a bit too much treble :D
But yeah, people bought more the OG - cheaper and more long time on the market.

Also, I'm not sure, but there were some problems with QC and suppliers when the Pro launched - that could affect too the older reviews.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #1,754 of 1,901

I changed out my tips (Divinus as mentioned aboe) now the S12 is much more comfortable for sleeping and relaxing on my side. But the new tips smooth out the high end a bit too much, at least compared with the JVC. I am now a believer that tip rolling can make a big difference.
Maybe it's the price. What type of comments on the S12 Pro are you seeing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back