LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #1,711 of 1,906
I'm glad that at least someone likes this solution. But the funny thing is that this form of heat shrink greatly limits the freedom of placement of shells in the ear. Try inserting the shell into your ear without tucking the heat shrink behind your ear. You will be very surprised at how deep the shell can be placed in the ear and how much of an impact it will have on the final audio result.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #1,712 of 1,906
You could be using to big of ear tips. I realized that with a different pair and went to smaller ones, fixed.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #1,713 of 1,906
Larger tips are uncomfortable and do not change the sound for the better. Here only bi- or tri-flange ear tips can help, but I can’t stand them! The problem is the short sound tube. The problem could have been solved if LetShuoer had made a longer sound tube or not formed the heat shrink so aggressively.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #1,714 of 1,906
Larger tips are uncomfortable and do not change the sound for the better. Here only bi- or tri-flange ear tips can help, but I can’t stand them! The problem is the short sound tube. The problem could have been solved if LetShuoer had made a longer sound tube or not formed the heat shrink so aggressively.

I said I was done but I wanted to offer this ........

If larger tips of the same type change the sound at all then something is different between the seal that the medium and large tip are achieving, if they both seal they should sound the same. If medium size seal well likely so will the large and they will likely sound the same but might be less comfortable.

It may be that the large tip is genuinely much to big and is folding/deforming as they squeeze down into the ear canal and are not sealing well which would result in a very obvious reduction on bass with the S12. If the bass is less with the medium tips they are not sealing well and you are not getting the best from the S12.

Comfort isn't always about the diameter of the tips. You might need to experiment with different tips to get a balance between comfort, sound and hold in the ear canal. I still stand by my comment that if the tension of the shrink on the cable was enough to literally dislodge the IEM as you say then the tips are not right, they must be barely holding in your ear which probably means they don't seal optimally and therefore won't sound optimal either.

Unfortunately only experimentation can guide to the best tip for you and the IEM and unfortunately that means spending money to try different tips. I have different types of tips on a number of IEM because the insertion depth and angle versus my ear anatomy means that certain tips work better on different IEM for me.

I am with you that a longer nozzle and deeper insertion is easier to work with, I have a few sets that I can use all sorts of tips on because the insertion depth means that many tips of the right size will seal and function well. On a few others, S12 included, I need to be far more selective of the tips to get a seal and hold because the shallow insertion depth makes the seal and firm hold much more tip shape, diameter and material dependent.

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #1,715 of 1,906
@LetShuoer Audio
@LETSHUOER Support

Here is the feedback that I left on the official LetShuoer website about another problem with the S12s – the problem of condensation in the cold season (applies to all in-ear headphones with a metal case):

Gorgeous planars, but with a problem of condensate =(
Relatively recently, I bought your Letshuoer S12 Pro in-ear headphones, but over time it turned out that they have a problem with condensation on the sound tube meshes 💦 😢 Please tell me what should I do now? How to avoid condensation on the sound tubes? 🤔 My room is quite warm, but condensation still appears 😥 In general, many people complain about the appearance of condensate in metal in-ear headphones. As far as I know, in the Sennheiser IE 600 the sound tube and the mesh are completely made of plastic, and in the Sennheiser IE 900 the mesh on the sound tube is made of plastic. As I understand it, this was done on purpose to avoid the formation of condensate on the meshes of the sound tubes. That's why Sennheiser in their IE 600 decided to make the sound tube / nozzle and mesh out of plastic. But why don't other manufacturers, including LetShuoer, do the same? 🤔 This is so logical and will get rid of this problem that affects many users! Please forward this information to the engineering department with photos of the Sennheiser IE 600 / 900 for consideration 🙏 I hope that in future revisions of the S12 / S12 Pro, Letshuoer will take this into account and make at least the meshes on the sound tubes plastic, as Sennheiser did for their flagship IE 900 model. Who knows, maybe in the next revisions of the metal in-ear headphones released by LetShuoer (including new ones), the company will finally take this moment into account. It would be just wonderful! Because I, for example, already try to avoid in-ear headphones which are completely made of metal. And people like me are not so few, believe me 😉 Accordingly, your company is losing its potential customers 🙁 If your company released a new revision of the S12 Pro with plastic sound tubes and / or mesh, I would definitely buy it! 🤑 But for now, I have to sadly look at the drops of condensate that form on the metal meshes of the sound tubes every time I use my S12 Pro 😭
And yes, the use of plastic sound tubes and meshes will not affect the final design of the product in any way, simply because the sound tubes are always covered with eartips. At least if we are talking about normal, daily use of headphones.
And also, so that my claim does not turn out to be far-fetched and rarely seen, pass the following links to the engineers (they show a similar problem with condensation in expensive Apple AirPods Max headphones):
Apple Airpods Max Condensation Issue:
AirPods Max Mysterious “Water” Inside:
Thanks! 🤝

I left my feedback on April 28, 2023 on the S12 Pro page (I gave the S12 a 4 star rating): https://letshuoer.net/products/lets...-ear-monitors-for-audiopiles-and-music-lovers

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #1,716 of 1,906
I noticed that in the new S15 the shells are made of resin. Aluminum is used only on faceplates. And it's great! 👍 The same problem with the formation of condensation was with the FiiO FD5 and with other in-ear headphones whose shells are completely made of metal. It is for this reason that I will never again buy in-ear headphones with shells made entirely of metal.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #1,720 of 1,906
As for the formation of condensation, it’s just that not everyone, after listening to music, closely examines the mesh of sound tubes 🧐 :sweat_drops: In addition, this happens mainly in the cold season, when there is high humidity. In the summer everything is fine for me and I do not observe any condensation formation :sunny: But in any case, shells made of plastic or resin avoid this problem. I think for this reason the shells of the new S15s are made of resin and not metal 👌

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #1,721 of 1,906
The S12 Pro were my first "serious" IEM after only dabbling in $20-30 sets like the Blon BL03. I really like them and I don't find the treble to be too harsh.

Anyway my friend is looking to pick up a new pair of IEMs. She got the cheap Tangzu Waner but didn't like the thick bass. She tried my S12 Pro and said she liked them because of the air they provide in the treble. Thus I presume she would prefer the planar sound to the DD sound but it's probably not an absolute necessity.

Are there any IEMs for less than $100 with the air and treble of the S12 Pro without being garbage everywhere else?

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #1,723 of 1,906
@Vlad Koon I am not sure if you know these little nitpicks are very personal to you, but the message is coming across as these are universal 'mistakes'.

The s12 isn't MY favourite planar but can appreciate that the things I may not like may be intentional and actually benefits to others.

Sounds like the sennheiser ie200 will be right up your alley and the things that most people critique will be what you love. E.g. memory wire, plastic shell. It just doesn't have a long Nozzle.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #1,724 of 1,906
@Vlad Koon I am not sure if you know these little nitpicks are very personal to you, but the message is coming across as these are universal 'mistakes'.

The s12 isn't MY favourite planar but can appreciate that the things I may not like may be intentional and actually benefits to others.

Sounds like the sennheiser ie200 will be right up your alley and the things that most people critique will be what you love. E.g. memory wire, plastic shell. It just doesn't have a long Nozzle.
I don't like Sennheiser in-ear headphones. I had an IE 300 that cost $330 and after ~9 months the left driver died out of the blue 😦 At an authorized service center, the left shell was replaced free of charge under warranty. After this, after about two months, the right driver dies 🫣 It was also replaced free of charge at an authorized center under warranty. Then, when after ~1-2 weeks the left driver died again, which I had just recently been replaced with a completely new one, I asked the authorized service center to write them off. Thank God they agreed! It was just before the New Year! The online store where I bought them refunded my money for them.
I read on this forum that a similar problem with the sudden failure of one of the drivers is observed in the Sennheiser IE 400 Pro, which also uses the same type of driver - a 7 mm TrueResponse dynamic driver. That's why I don't want anything to do with Sennheiser anymore 🤢🤮

Users who are viewing this thread

Back