LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Apr 28, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #1,518 of 1,906
Does the impedance adapter makes any difference to the planar iem? I thought planer doesn't not affect much by the impedance of the output sources.
So far I havent noticed sound getting changed on the S12 Pro. Yesterday I drove the S12 Pro from my ZDT Jr Tube Amp together with this 20ohm adapter, and that worked really well.

I am quite new to the S12 Pro, just bought it so need to listen a lot more with different amps.

But I think the adapter opens up a lot of possibilities if you have IEMs and desktop amps.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #1,519 of 1,906
1682898487477.png

May 1, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #1,522 of 1,906
I don't agree. Subbass does not warm up music. Midbass does. Food for thought.

I didn't refer to the lack of warmth of planar IEMs but about their bass character. If you put even more midbass on the the S12 it would sound unnatural. Subbass for planar made them sound slower hence more natural like DD IEMs.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #1,523 of 1,906
Look man, I've tuned this driver 100 different ways. Midbass does not sound unnatural. You are just throwing out opinions where as I am speaking from experience. The midbass on the S12 is STUPID good. In fact I prefer it with a buttload of it.

May 3, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #1,524 of 1,906
Look man, I've tuned this driver 100 different ways. Midbass does not sound unnatural. You are just throwing out opinions where as I am speaking from experience. The midbass on the S12 is STUPID good. In fact I prefer it with a buttload of it.
On the S12pro the bass is also superb, no complaints here. It's the treble that's a bit hot at times, even after adding O2 damper mesh. Narrow bore tips help somewhat. I watched your foam mod for Paul. Where do you get the low density foam, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

May 4, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,525 of 1,906
I just bought the S12 Pro from HiFiGo off AE because of the bundle and discounts offered. The bundle includes Dunu S&S tips and S12/Pro filters and I used 600 coins and a $15 coupon. All in for $122. I have a NiceHCK BlackSoul cable waiting for it. After I get 75-100 hours on the iems, I plan on doing an “old man’s” review to include rolling cables, tips and source equipment. Hot Fun In The Summertime! If you’re over 50, you probably understand what I mean by “old man ears.” I’m excited to try my first planar iems!

May 7, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #1,526 of 1,906
I just received the S12 PRO yesterday, so I've had them for less than 24 hours, but I've put about 7 hours listening into them already. Of course, the first 2 to 3 hours were dedicated to tip rolling and matching them to the best DAC/Amp source to get the most out of them, but since then I've been enjoying them very much. The details in the music are on par (yet somehow slightly different) to the TANGZU x HBB Wu HeyDay I have, and I very much like the tuning of both for different reasons.

For ear tips: I tried the SpinFit (W1, CP100, CP145), AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC, TRI Clarion, & Moondrop Spring Tips, but landed on the SpinFit CP100 as they seemed to soften the (metallic?) edge just a bit and emphasize the mid-bass (again, just a bit). Overall, the standard / narrow (ish) bore and comfort of the CP100 tips just work for me on this set in terms of tonal qualities and comfort.

For sources: I have the iFi Zen Stack (DAC v2 + CAN) and the Shanling UA3, both of which have warm / rich "house" tunings in the pre/output amp stages. For the iFi stack, these sounded best with the XBass engaged to add more sub / lower bass extension, further accentuating the overall V tuning for a more engaging (to me) sound. For the Shanling, the default tuning already has a bit of a bump in the bass region to "fill out" their house sound, so there was no need to make any changes or add any EQ settings to make it pair well with the S12 PRO.

Comparing to the TANGZU x HBB Wu HeyDay, the S12 pro sound it a bit more "sterile", which might be the planar effect that many describe, where the HeyDay is definitely tuned to emulate more of a DD signature in dynamics and timbre. The detail retrieval on both seems to be about the same, with each set accentuating some different frequency scoped details. The S12 is brighter than the HeyDay (to my ears), so I would recommend a warmer amp source to really make them shine, and I would assume that they would pair great with tube amps, just based on the comparison with the warmish to warmer source amps I currently have.

That's it for now. :relaxed:

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,527 of 1,906
On the S12pro the bass is also superb, no complaints here. It's the treble that's a bit hot at times, even after adding O2 damper mesh. Narrow bore tips help somewhat. I watched your foam mod for Paul. Where do you get the low density foam, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks
Dampers cause peaks in the treble on planar drivers. I never use them. FWIW. Only foam or similar OR inserts that clamp the Inner diameter of the bore down.. will decrease treble.

I posted the aliexpress link on that video just a bit ago. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #1,528 of 1,906
The tripowin zoe is a great aesthetic compliment to s12 pro. The tight twists of the cable makes it hold kinks a little but generally well behaved.

It's funny that this is the smallest planar iem I have but is the most fiddly to get a good fit. Settled with these longer spin fit tips.

Attachments

• 20230623_141534.jpg
    20230623_141534.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back