LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Aug 5, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #1,547 of 1,906
Would you guys recommend Moondrop Dawn or Truthear Shio for s12 pro? i can get Dawn for 20e cheaper.
I would get the Dawn or the FiiO KA3. I've heard mixed reviews about the Shio.

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #1,548 of 1,906
Would you guys recommend Moondrop Dawn or Truthear Shio for s12 pro? i can get Dawn for 20e cheaper.

I would get the Dawn or the FiiO KA3. I've heard mixed reviews about the Shio.
The Dawn and the Shio are almost identical sounding. The Shio is the warmer one.
The KA3 is more technical, better clarity and definition, slightly more impactful and dynamic but also drier and less visceral.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #1,549 of 1,906
The Dawn and the Shio are almost identical sounding. The Shio is the warmer one.
The KA3 is more technical, better clarity and definition, slightly more impactful and dynamic but also drier and less visceral.
And by warmer you mean more bass? Cuz i think they have enough bass as is, a bit too much at times, i'd rather have something to bring more vocals out. Sadly i'm not very good with eq.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #1,550 of 1,906
And by warmer you mean more bass? Cuz i think they have enough bass as is, a bit too much at times, i'd rather have something to bring more vocals out. Sadly i'm not very good with eq.
Not more bass regarding frequency response. Both have linear frequency response. It is more about second order harmonics, mid bass gives the impression of sounding warmer and fuller. Mind you that differences are really subtle. BTW, I don't think that you can bring vocals out with a DAC. DACs cannot equalize your earphones. You have to use software EQ or try some other ear-tips.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #1,552 of 1,906

If you want to cut the bass a little a wide bore tip like the JVC Spiral Dot or foam tips like the Campfire Audio Marshmallow will help.

Aug 6, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #1,553 of 1,906
S12pro has great quality bass in good quantity. I find it well behaved, slightly shy but when called to slam ...it really slams

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #1,554 of 1,906
_DSC3925.jpg

Flawed in the lower treble but the best we have right now...until then, Final E's, a warm source and a lot of power helps balance the tonality.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,555 of 1,906
9.5x7x3cm
:heart:

BTW if somebody wonders in my humble opinion Sony silicon tips sound great on this iem, tried JVC spiral dots but they give lot of sharp tremble, while sonys are warm and bassy. For DAC I recommend Qudelix 5K it has natural and well rounded EQ profile for them. S12 are really good for electronic, rock and metal (with proper tips), they are very comfortable and for the money it's very good deal

Aug 8, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #1,557 of 1,906
Hey guys Has anyone tried the fiio ka1 with the s12? Im just wondering if it has enough power to drive planar iems

I think the power requirements are well overstated.

I have run my S12 off everything from a Lightning Apple Dongle to an ifi Diablo and they sound the same to my ear.

Others insist that the planars need plenty of power to "open up" but I think that is simply technically inaccurate, the drivers are tiny and need microvolts and milliwatts.

Aug 8, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #1,558 of 1,906
I think the power requirements are well overstated.

I have run my S12 off everything from a Lightning Apple Dongle to an ifi Diablo and they sound the same to my ear.

Others insist that the planars need plenty of power to "open up" but I think that is simply technically inaccurate, the drivers are tiny and need microvolts and milliwatts.
Perfect, I am looking at ka1 for compact, light and power efficiency to run off a phone in my pocket.

In terms of driving power the sony ier-m9 (all BA) is harder to drive than the s12

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #1,559 of 1,906
Perfect, I am looking at ka1 for compact, light and power efficiency to run off a phone in my pocket.

In terms of driving power the sony ier-m9 (all BA) is harder to drive than the s12

On paper the sony and S12 are have very similar db/mw but other factors also come into play.

I suspect the KA1 would be fine, it has a lot more power than the Apple Dongle which I believe powers the S12 just fine.

Others will disagree but that has been my experience.

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,560 of 1,906
S12 Pro First Impressions

Just got some S12 Pros this past week coming off Tanzu Waners & Tinhifi C2 Mech Warriors. I like that I can fool my LG G7 into high power mode with the modular plug. The G7 powers them nicely loud at about 70% on the volume scale when in high power mode. With the regular amp mode, I push it up to about 85-90% volume and it is not quite as fleshed out.

As for burn in, I think I observed a change with about 20 hours of use. Running in at nights then listening to a few test tracks each day makes me "feel" like it is a bit less bright. Speaking of bright, my ear prefers a bit of a lift at about 4-8khz. With bright recordings, I get an occasional 8khz to 11khz or so tizz, It is interesting that the S12 Pro to my ears does not improve poorer recordings. I

As for better dac/amps, I did a bunch of critical listening on my ifi Zen dac. It is certainly better sounding than the phone. More relaxed, more open, better depth and with a touch less veil or sheen than the phone in the SE output of the Zen. Moving to the balanced output of the Zen it takes it up another notch with more of the prior described goodness.

So, I am trying to stay budget oriented and ordered a Truthears Shio for my phone. My use case with this IEM is 90% outdoor on the go use. Hoping I hear a similar benefit using the Shio 4.4 out as I do with the Zen. Should have an update by the weekend if it comes in on time.

EDIT: More listening and the S12 Pro is still a bit bright on too many tracks and is not for me. Also Shio defective with my phone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back