LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jun 21, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #976 of 1,901
I’ve got a 2.5mm cable with 0.78 2 pin. So to hear the power do I turn the input source low and the amp gain high? (On the Qudelix)

If the 5k has its own volume adjust, I believe its instructions would be to set the source to max and make adjustments with the dongle. I’m know nothing about the 5k’s noise floor, so use the gain to suit best result.

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #977 of 1,901
My soundcard sound blasterx g1 dongle. Hooked to a computer usb.

Is it risky to choose High Gain (64-600 Ohm) for S12?

I tested with Blon03 but it has extremely hissing sound.

Attachments

• 2022-06-003486.jpg
    2022-06-003486.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #978 of 1,901
My soundcard sound blasterx g1 dongle. Hooked to a computer usb.

Is it risky to choose High Gain (64-600 Ohm) for S12?

I tested with Blon03 but it has extremely hissing sound.
my experience of high/low gain on btr5 did not change the sound at all on my s12 (at least to my ears). i know we often read "more power= better sound" but please challenge this affirmation by doing your own comparison. this generation of small size planar for iem don't require a lot of power like bigger planar full size headphones do. more amplification brings more noise and distortion if these are what you are looking for to color the sound in a pleasant way for your individual taste then ok go for it, otherwise if you want the cleanest sound remember that iem (unlike full size can with high impedance) don't need extra amplification in the audio pipeline after the dac output.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #979 of 1,901
my experience of high/low gain on btr5 did not change the sound at all on my s12 (at least to my ears). i know we often read "more power= better sound" but please challenge this affirmation by doing your own comparison. this generation of small size planar for iem don't require a lot of power like bigger planar full size headphones do. more amplification brings more noise and distortion if these are what you are looking for to color the sound in a pleasant way for your individual taste then ok go for it, otherwise if you want the cleanest sound remember that iem (unlike full size can with high impedance) don't need extra amplification in the audio pipeline after the dac output.

At least one reviewer would disagree with you regarding whether the S12 will scale with amplification, and I’ve seen other who’d also disagree… although I certainly don’t have a problem with listening for yourself…

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #981 of 1,901
Regarding the posts about low/high gain... What I seem to notice with the S12 is that I do have a preference for e. Xduuo XD05 Bal and Violectric Chronos vs. some of the other amps or dongles. I realize that most of you will probably say that's just normal, but I am not hearing a significant difference with most of my other IEMs and headphones and if I do, I wouldn't be able to tell what sounds better. It is more of a nuance that tend to change with my mood or music I listen to. Not so with the S12.

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #982 of 1,901
My recently bought S12 is slightly (~0.3dB) louder from the left side. Not the end of the world since it's easy to just fix it via EQ but it still stings. :frowning2:

Jun 25, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #985 of 1,901
Could anyone with the LETSHUOER S12 listen to this track and tell me how well does the song mingle with the sound signature? I mainly listen to EDM, and so that track has become my go-to criterion to determine whether or not I'll like the sound signature.

Some important details to consider include:
  • The slam, punch and depth of the kick drum
  • Whether or not it's too sibilant
  • The airiness and sparkle of the highs
  • The timbre of the highs, and whether it sounds natural or grainy/analytical
  • The overall musical tonality
I use an LG G7 and the Hiby R3 Pro Sabre which both have the ES9218, they're slightly bright sources so listening from an identical source is recommended.

Thanks.

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #986 of 1,901
S12 sound signature suits EDM quite well.

Slam, punch, depth and kick drum sounds nearly perfect due to the fast bass.
For my taste it's not too sibilant as long as you don't put on too much volume.
There's loads of airiness and sparkle in the highs.
The timbre is mostly on the analytical side.
Generally speaking musical tonality is good if the music is not overly bright.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #987 of 1,901
Could anyone with the LETSHUOER S12 listen to this track and tell me how well does the song mingle with the sound signature? I mainly listen to EDM, and so that track has become my go-to criterion to determine whether or not I'll like the sound signature.

Some important details to consider include:
  • The slam, punch and depth of the kick drum
  • Whether or not it's too sibilant
  • The airiness and sparkle of the highs
  • The timbre of the highs, and whether it sounds natural or grainy/analytical
  • The overall musical tonality
I use an LG G7 and the Hiby R3 Pro Sabre which both have the ES9218, they're slightly bright sources so listening from an identical source is recommended.

Thanks.

Are you using the 280mW balanced output from the Hiby? If so, you’re probably ok judging from my experience with my L&P W2’s 250mW balanced with the S12. However, anything less than 250mW is probably not optimal, as reported by a number of reviewers who have better amplifiers available for testing. Two youtube reviewers come to mind having reported the S12 set does scale with amplification. See the “Honest Audiophile” and the most recent “Chifi Audio Reviews”…

Jun 26, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #990 of 1,901
Providing 450mW (balanced), I believe the iFi Go Bar would also be a good match, and even more portable. No Bluetooth however…
I also have some over-ear headphones so would rather get a device that would be versatile enough to handle both. Gryphon is also > Go Bar in terms of pure SQ as far as I know, based on the Go Bar thread?

Only benefit to Go Bar is the compact form factor… and I guess not needing to worry about charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back