Lets Talk Metal
Oct 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #11,851 of 29,658
  All Hail the Metal !  LOL
I have a pretty extensive collection of Metal. All of it is on a 2TB USB Pocket drive. And all of it is burned in FLAC. I sure wish it were easy to list, but it is fairly extensive. When I pull up J-River and push "play",the data says it will play non-stop for 76 days, without ever playing the same song twice. I have went through countless headphones, and still have not heard Metal reproduced as it should be on headphones. Audio guris claim Classical is the most difficult to accurately reproduce, but Metal has proven to be MUCH more difficult. time and again ! I will try and post a list of my collection in the next few days.

What do you feel is wrong with them?  I'm sure someone in this thread will know of a pair which will do your collection justice, would be good to know what you're listening to though as Metal is rather vague (though I'd guess you must have a bit of everything with that much!)

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #11,852 of 29,658

I have a pretty extensive collection of Metal. All of it is on a 2TB USB Pocket drive. And all of it is burned in FLAC. I sure wish it were easy to list, but it is fairly extensive. When I pull up J-River and push "play",the data says it will play non-stop for 76 days, without ever playing the same song twice.  I have went through countless headphones, and still have not heard Metal reproduced as it should be on headphones. Audio guris claim Classical is the most difficult to accurately reproduce, but Metal has proven to be MUCH more difficult. time and again ! I will try and post a list of my collection in the next few days.

Man, this is really impressive.
I've been listening to Metal for about 12 years now and my glorious collection(FLAC and MP3) is "only" about 120GB big....
You have 2TB of just metal? Holy crap I thought I had a fair amount

IMO my grados are the best at making metal sound awesome, but everyone has their own tastes...

I love my Earsonics for Metal!
Awesome forward mids, big soundstage and a fast and punchy bass :)

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #11,853 of 29,658

I have a pretty extensive collection of Metal. All of it is on a 2TB USB Pocket drive. And all of it is burned in FLAC. I sure wish it were easy to list, but it is fairly extensive. When I pull up J-River and push "play",the data says it will play non-stop for 76 days, without ever playing the same song twice.  I have went through countless headphones, and still have not heard Metal reproduced as it should be on headphones. Audio guris claim Classical is the most difficult to accurately reproduce, but Metal has proven to be MUCH more difficult. time and again ! I will try and post a list of my collection in the next few days.

Welcome... that's quite a collection! And I thought my 350GB was a lot. Ultrasones do it for me, but I'm not that picky.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #11,854 of 29,658
  Do you recommend any particular recording as a starting point?

There is a pianist by the name Jean-Efflam Bavouzet who does Debussy's complete works for piano. I haven't heard better. He does Ravel as well. 

This is his complete works for Debussy. One of the best you'll find:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ER73XC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002XC7FQA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1CMX1MQVM93CHEYR3JBX

You can purchase the separate discs as well, if you don't want to fork out that much cabbage. If you choose that route then I'd probably go with disc 3, as it has his Suite bergamasque with the famous Clair de lune:

http://www.amazon.com/Debussy-C-Complete-Bergamasque-Childrens/dp/B0018R365U/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-1&keywords=jean+efflam+bavouzet+debussy+vol+3

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #11,855 of 29,658
You have 2TB of just metal? Holy crap I thought I had a fair amount

IMO my grados are the best at making metal sound awesome, but everyone has their own tastes...

I did not mean to mislead ...  I have a 2TB pocket drive, but not of just Metal. All of my music is on there. But probably 75% of it is indeed Metal. I have always heard Grados to sound somewhat colored in some way, but I would be happy to take another listen. Which model do you feel does best with Metal ?   325is ?

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #11,856 of 29,658
  What do you feel is wrong with them?  I'm sure someone in this thread will know of a pair which will do your collection justice, would be good to know what you're listening to though as Metal is rather vague (though I'd guess you must have a bit of everything with that much!)

Hi S Orange and others ....

Oh man .... I literally DO have some of everything !  My favorite is probably Megadeth, A7X, Iron Maiden, etc ....

I have heard certain headphones do fairly well with one certain aspect of the music, but fail somewhere else. To properly reproduce Metal, speed and resolution is king. But most headphones that sound really fast and resolving have tonality issues as well. Guitars should have amazing "crunch", while also being separate from other guitars, and that is something I hardly ever hear headphones do accurately. The music is so fast and complex, resolution usually goes out the window. Bass and drums need to be VERY, VERY clear and with amazing impact. But the two biggest things that I feel is most important, is the ability to place vocals out front and discernable over the double kick and fast riff guitars. And the second thing is finding the right balance between the tonality being fatiguing, and not overly smooth at the same time.

Basically, to me headphones need to be able to be fast enough, and resolving enough to allow one to be able to hear all of the parts equally, while never becoming harsh and fatiguing.

I had Ultrasone Pro 900s, and enjoyed their speed, but they had a rather honky sounding midrange to them, which made guitars unbearable.
My T1s were resolution masters, but were a bit slow and warm sounding on Metal.
My M50s had AMAZING, AMAZING drums and bass !  But the soundstage was non existant, the mids were somewhat recessed, cymbals sounded harsh, and the sound was dry overall.

I guess I should also state that I was professionally involved with the original 80s Metal scene, and played in Metal bands all of my life. So my standards are pretty high.

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #11,857 of 29,658
I did not mean to mislead ...  I have a 2TB pocket drive, but not of just Metal. All of my music is on there. But probably 75% of it is indeed Metal. I have always heard Grados to sound somewhat colored in some way, but I would be happy to take another listen. Which model do you feel does best with Metal ?   325is ?

I only have the 80i, but I'm so impressed I'm putting off LCD2 in favor of rs1's

My he400 are better overall cans and wickedly fast and well rounded, but the grados just have an amazing tone to them for guitar based music, and are quite fast and resolved as well. Yes they're coloured, but it just works for metal. IMO ymmv etc.

I don't understand music in terms of storage LOL

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #11,858 of 29,658
I only have the 80i, but I'm so impressed I'm putting off LCD2 in favor of rs1's

My he400 are better overall cans and wickedly fast and well rounded, but the grados just have an amazing tone to them for guitar based music, and are quite fast and resolved as well. Yes they're coloured, but it just works for metal. IMO ymmv etc.

I don't understand music in terms of storage LOL

I used to sell the higher end Grados, as well as the 60s and 80s. But I never listened to any of the mid-range Grados. I will have to give them another try. From my memory however, I thought the Grado's full and forward midrange made for a slightly congested experience.

I was right with you on the whole music storage thing until two years ago. Finally a buddy burned my entire collection to a pocket drive, and I have never looked back. Can't tell a difference in SQ from my CDs, and waaay easier to manage. Also allowed me to sell off over $20,000 worth of CD/SACD players.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #11,859 of 29,658

Hi S Orange and others ....

Oh man .... I literally DO have some of everything !  My favorite is probably Megadeth, A7X, Iron Maiden, etc ....

I have heard certain headphones do fairly well with one certain aspect of the music, but fail somewhere else. To properly reproduce Metal, speed and resolution is king. But most headphones that sound really fast and resolving have tonality issues as well. Guitars should have amazing "crunch", while also being separate from other guitars, and that is something I hardly ever hear headphones do accurately. The music is so fast and complex, resolution usually goes out the window. Bass and drums need to be VERY, VERY clear and with amazing impact. But the two biggest things that I feel is most important, is the ability to place vocals out front and discernable over the double kick and fast riff guitars. And the second thing is finding the right balance between the tonality being fatiguing, and not overly smooth at the same time.

Basically, to me headphones need to be able to be fast enough, and resolving enough to allow one to be able to hear all of the parts equally, while never becoming harsh and fatiguing.

I had Ultrasone Pro 900s, and enjoyed their speed, but they had a rather honky sounding midrange to them, which made guitars unbearable.
My T1s were resolution masters, but were a bit slow and warm sounding on Metal.
My M50s had AMAZING, AMAZING drums and bass !  But the soundstage was non existant, the mids were somewhat recessed, cymbals sounded harsh, and the sound was dry overall.

I guess I should also state that I was professionally involved with the original 80s Metal scene, and played in Metal bands all of my life. So my standards are pretty high.

Cool-I came up in the 80's...strictly a fan. You're much more technical than I am, but I have Grado 225i's. I've been happy with them for metal and rock...but they are my only real reference point as my first decent HPs. Although, at a meet, I did enjoy HE500 and LCDs. I'm putting most of my $ in my stereo system, so I've held off on HP upgraditus. And, I do more of my listening through speakers and ATC, prefer listening to speakers. But, I do find my 225's really satisfying....for about $2oo the hit the sweet spot for my first HP purchase. I, also want to hear the the RS1i's...there seems to be a lot of debate if the $700n price tag is worth it, as they be essentially a more refined version of the 80. But, for  a lot of Grado aficionados, they seem to the be holy grail for rock/metal.

I appreciate the aggressive front and center quality of my 225i's, and they reproduce guitar sounds brilliantly IMO. They lack the refinement and technical abilities of some the aforementioned HPs, but make me feel like I'm stage with the band...aggressive. Some find them fatiguing.

If I wanted to drop the $, I'd love to have two pairs-RS1i's and maybe HE500. I'm still researching. The Grado 500s sound interesting as well.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #11,860 of 29,658
Regarding the Grado talk, I have a used demo pair of 225is for sale. PM if interested!

It's funny markm1 you liked the Debussy piece! I like his work really much too though haven't really gotten into deeper ground yet. There's something about raw power and beauty in it that I associate much of black metal with. Dunno where that actually comes from but this is how I feel. Comes closest to the output of Circle of Ouroborus' material maybe. My personal favourite. Can't listen to them too much, the magic might fade away and that's a risk I'm not willing to take 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #11,862 of 29,658
Oct 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #11,863 of 29,658
Oct 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #11,864 of 29,658
  Regarding the Grado talk, I have a used demo pair of 225is for sale. PM if interested!

It's funny markm1 you liked the Debussy piece! I like his work really much too though haven't really gotten into deeper ground yet. There's something about raw power and beauty in it that I associate much of black metal with. Dunno where that actually comes from but this is how I feel. Comes closest to the output of Circle of Ouroborus' material maybe. My personal favourite. Can't listen to them too much, the magic might fade away and that's a risk I'm not willing to take 
rolleyes.gif

Excellent. I just ordered a dark ambient CD one of the posters on this thread turned me onto-Kammarheit-that I'm looking foreward to. It defnitely has a black metal feel without the metal if that makes any sense. All atmosphere. I dig it.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #11,865 of 29,658
Uhh ... Someone just contacted me and asked if I would be willing to sell my music collection, if they sent me a hard drive. Is this even legal ?  While I did buy the music, it really is not my place to take money from musician's pockets. Any thoughts here ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back