Lets Talk Metal
Jun 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #10,096 of 29,680
I am kind-of swirling on some alcohol right not, therefore this is not currently making any sense. At first you hate it but on a technicality you love it? ffffffffffffff Alright I can admit to having had that happen before

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #10,097 of 29,680
Quote:
Thanks! Sounds nice so far.

And as a nice contrast, the ugliest band I know :D

That dude is  seriously ugly. I really, really hope it is a dude. Otherwise, I will be having nightmares.

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #10,099 of 29,680
Quote:
Music is much stronger than the vocals, IMO. Her reserved style really isn't too shabby, but she can't keep up with the high energy stuff.

Yeah-vocally they feel in the sort of indie/folksy coffee house crowd....easy on the ears Sunday morning kind of stuff..... but I like some of the sludgy/stoner guitar work. Are you familiar w/ Sub Rosa? Female fronted stoner act w/ violin but more experimental. There a pretty interesting act.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #10,102 of 29,680
Quote:
Very impressed with these guys

The music is alright, but the video is abysmal :D
Even worse than you average no-brain metal video.
Kudos.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #10,103 of 29,680
the wife took the kids out of the house this morning, so i had a chance to hit some new music on the big hi-fi, which is a rare pleasure these days ha ha

loving the new Black Dahlia, more memorable songs than ritual and killer big system listening...this is as good as metalcore gets, take it or leave it

Leprous (coal)...hmm...not sure what to think here.  some really cool stuff...but not my style at all, this one won't be making my favourites but it's a well done and well recorded album for fans of this kind of stuff

megadeth...LOL honestly i can dig this, as long as i pretend it's not a megadeth album.  as far as radio friendly balls out rawk, it's better than a lot of the other bands in this vein right now, dave can still write a killer riff and it is really, really well recorded.  on a massive system this one sounds pretty good ha ha but it's NOT megadeth although the country tune is really fun i love that track

immolation...this is really strong, well recorded traditional death metal.  this record definitely deserved a spin on the hi-fi, this is not headphone music.  strong effort and will be making my regular driving music rotation for sure

started into deafhaven but this is a headphone record, will return later

Even if BDM are a touch metal-core they now transcend any genre in my book. I like this record and can not stop listening to it! I'm not sure they are looked at as metal-core but just a death thrash modern metal band.

Immolation maybe put out their best record yet. I went back and started listening to 2010's Magesty and Decay just to try and get my head around where they were coming from. The new album is really the perfect continuation of what they were up to in 2010, only better IMO. I don't think they have ever been looked at as traditional being the strangest death band ever. They make their music around the guitar which in itself is idiot savant genius at best. Both very simple and pure genius and sounding like a death metal band playing backwards......IMO.

The biggest surprise has been the listen ability of the new Suffocation album. I play it all the way from start to finish everyday and it's just better and better. Pinnacle of Bedlam was actually kind of hard to grasp the first week. It's quite a stretch musically for them. Amazingly both Black Dahlia Murder and Suffocation had brand new drummers for their 2013 releases.

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #10,104 of 29,680
Quote:
Even if BDM are a touch metal-core they now transcend any genre in my book. I like this record and can not stop listening to it! I'm not sure they are looked at as metal-core but just a death thrash modern metal band.

Immolation maybe put out their best record yet. I went back and started listening to 2010's Magesty and Decay just to try and get my head around where they were coming from. The new album is really the perfect continuation of what they were up to in 2010, only better IMO. I don't think they have ever been looked at as traditional being the strangest death band ever. They make their music around the guitar which in itself is idiot savant genius at best. Both very simple and pure genius and sounding like a death metal band playing backwards......IMO.

The biggest surprise has been the listen ability of the new Suffocation album. I play it all the way from start to finish everyday and it's just better and better. Pinnacle of Bedlam was actually kind of hard to grasp the first week. It's quite a stretch musically for them. Amazingly both Black Dahlia Murder and Suffocation had brand new drummers for their 2013 releases.

Could you compare the new Suffocation with their last album-Blood Oath? That's the only Suffocation release I know. I listened to Blood oath and Majesty recently back to back. I prefer  Majesty and Decay by a long shot. I probably know less about modern DM than most on this list. But Majesty and Decay hit a sweet spot for me. Brutal, and just enough innovative sounds to make good to me. Just enough technicality (too much and it sounds goofy to me) and I would say a certain prog sensibility to make the songs interesting. Plus after listening to it a few times and reading the lyrics, that's one DM album I can almost understand the vocals if I come back to it some months later.

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #10,107 of 29,680
Quote:
It's hard to find a metal video that isn't.

The latest video from Meshuggah is pretty awesome.
Don't really like their music, though :3

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #10,109 of 29,680
Which label currently has the rights of the old In Flames albums? I wanna contact them about a re-release of those early albums on black vinyl, but I´m not sure whether it´s Nuclear Blast or Century Media? Does anyone know this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back