Lets Talk Metal
Jun 10, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #10,006 of 29,682
Are there, by any chance, any metal CDs put there, with a decent DR score? :frowning2:
I still don't have the money for a good turntable.
Maybe anything that has not been covered on Metal-Fi so far?

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #10,007 of 29,682
Quote:
Are there, by any chance, any metal CDs put there, with a decent DR score? :frowning2:
I still don't have the money for a good turntable.
Maybe anything that has not been covered on Metal-Fi so far?

That's the conflict at hand, friend

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #10,008 of 29,682
Quote:
Eh. Jester Race really isn't bad on CD, it's really not far off from the vinyl (picture disc) at all. After that they got progressively worse sounding. From Reroute on they are average at best, and the last few honestly sound pretty crap.

So if I got Reroute to Remain/ Colony on vinyl it would most likely be considerably better? RtR on vinyl has a DR of 12 as far as I know, so I´m curious how sounds in this form. 
I also got the chance to get Colony as a picture disc (mint). Would it be worth it?

Does anyone else have In Flames LPs? How do they sound compared to the CDs?

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #10,009 of 29,682
When you listen to enough material that's DR6, it starts to condition you that it's "normal" and doesn't sound that bad. It's only when you hear the same material on vinyl at DR10-12 that you see just how much you're losing. Amon Amarth's With Oden is a prime example. That album was brilliantly recorded and mixed, and the CD at DR6 actually sounds pretty good. Then you hear it on vinyl and your jaw hits the floor. The difference is between that of a pistol and this guy.

This. It's our manifesto. We will not stop until the brickwall is torn down! (perhaps we should hire the Hoff to sing when the time comes?)

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #10,010 of 29,682
Okay guys. I need some help.

Does anyone have a high res version of the covert art for Sunn's 'Flight of the Behemoth'? Not the Japanese art, but the cartoony looking one? I'm trying to find one to use a possible tattoo reference.

Also, new Neurotech soon. Hype.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #10,011 of 29,682

Does anyone have a high res version of the covert art for Sunn's 'Flight of the Behemoth'? Not the Japanese art, but the cartoony looking one? I'm trying to find one to use a possible tattoo reference.

That is originally some old wood cut or engraving from maybe the 17th century. You could get a better version by trying to find the original. The one almost looks like a negative too. You could go threw some band groupe pages and find the name of the original.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #10,012 of 29,682
Quote:

this one?  or the other one?

what do you mean by high res....discogs has a 600x600 i think for both, i'll check when i get home and see if i have a super high res but i can't remember exactly which one i have

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #10,013 of 29,682
this one?  or the other one?

what do you mean by high res....discogs has a 600x600 i think for both, i'll check when i get home and see if i have a super high res but i can't remember exactly which one i have

Other one.

If anyone actually has it and could scan the cover I'd be very greatful. 600x600 is the best I can get so far.

I need one I could blow up a bit but still see the detail for the artist.

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #10,014 of 29,682
the link i posted is 1000x1000...it's pretty well CD size so even if i found mine in storage and scanned it, may not be much better.  on the bright side, it's not incredibly detailed artwork (coming from a carving) i think any good artist could figure it out pretty quick

neat idea, have fun with that one!

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #10,015 of 29,682
the link i posted is 1000x1000...it's pretty well CD size so even if i found mine in storage and scanned it, may not be much better.  on the bright side, it's not incredibly detailed artwork (coming from a carving) i think any good artist could figure it out pretty quick

neat idea, have fun with that one!

Didn't realize it was that big. Best I've got so far. The biggest thing with a good scan would be a higher DPI than that one, but you're right. That might be good enough.

I think it'll go nicely with my new Gojira tat. I think I'm going to put that guy below it. It's one of my favorite Sunn efforts (yay Merzbow) and really the only cover art of theirs I feel is somewhat 'tattooable'.

Thanks.

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #10,016 of 29,682

Non metal recommendation.

Sometimes we discuss avant Garde/experimental metal. No-this is not metal by any stretch.

Way back in the 80's ..........

I became friends with a percussionist who was studing music at WVU. We both worked at Wolf Trap Theater in N.VA. I was listening to the head banging fare of the time (back in the stone ages when Slayer, Motorhead and Megadeth for instance had some respect.....remember Peace Sells.....anyone? Bascically, when they were vital and actually kind of, uh good-this was a long time ago peops).....

My friend liked jazz and  he convinced me to check out a jazz guitarist he described as a musical genius. TOTALLY NOT METAL. But, I saw him at Wolf Trap and have followed him since. He was kind of amazing.

For those not in the know....Metheny is all over the map....usually brilliant, sometimes a little too new age/elevator type muisc. But, oft times, he is just out of this world.

Tap, The Book of Angles Vol 20 was just released in May-it verges from acoustic to electric and somewhat experimental in nature, but really enjoyable. So for any of you metalheads that like the occasional instrumental music that is really, really good and a little off center-strong recommend from me for.....well, just sumthin' different
wink_face.gif

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #10,017 of 29,682
Quote:
haha, happy i got my pre order for the collectors bundle in right when they went up.

and seriously? not the core conversation again....

I missed it the first time. 
tongue_smile.gif

Anyone heard of Kingcrow? I just found them, it's some very good almost-metal with a ton of Porcupine Tree and Leprous influence.

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #10,019 of 29,682
Quote:
Gonna look them up but why do I have a feeling most of them are going to cost and unholy amount of money?

Some do. There is no affordable Rockport or Estelon. PSB speakers though are quite reasonably priced and excellent for a large, mainstream speaker co. Some of the PMC, and ProAC models aren't too expensive. Fritz and Odyssey both sell direct and both have very affordable options.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #10,020 of 29,682
Quote:
Fast black-thrash-death!!

[size=medium]http://www.haiduk.ca[/size]

Haiduk, it's great that you make your own music and all, but this is starting to turn into spam. Most of us here have already seen your message; no need to keep repeating it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back