Lets Talk Metal
Aug 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #6,721 of 29,646

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #6,723 of 29,646
Quote:
I just picked up the new Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth, while not there best work by far. It is pretty good considering what most metal bands are producing today!!

Yeah, I did too and I have to agree with you on that. Still thrashy as hell, not too overly produced.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #6,724 of 29,646
I'm still looking for some good thrash recommendations. I picked up Lazarus A.D.'s Black Rivers Flow and Evile's Infected Nation based on some recommendations from here, but I am totally unimpressed with these two albums. They are too melodic, too clean, over produced and kind of sterile sounding. I know that's what sells, but come on. I don't know if any bands out there are playing more traditional thrash as opposed to the squeaky clean neo thrash. I just like my thrash the way it used to be played. Maybe that doesn't exist, maybe I am just too picky. 

Any suggestions?

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #6,725 of 29,646
Quote:
I'm still looking for some good thrash recommendations. I picked up Lazarus A.D.'s Black Rivers Flow and Evile's Infected Nation based on some recommendations from here, but I am totally unimpressed with these two albums. They are too melodic, too clean, over produced and kind of sterile sounding. I know that's what sells, but come on. I don't know if any bands out there are playing more traditional thrash as opposed to the squeaky clean neo thrash. I just like my thrash the way it used to be played. Maybe that doesn't exist, maybe I am just too picky. 

Any suggestions?

Actually I am also open for suggestions too, dirty sounding and violent in same style as Demolition Hammer, Morbid Saint, Protector and Hypnosia. More dirt and balls the better.

That said, I have one suggestion. I havent heard their first album yet but I own this demo/promo disc.

*edit* With a quick search on Youtube here is a random song from their album. To me its first time hearing one. I prefer the sound of the demo above. :p

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #6,726 of 29,646
Quote:
The problem with metal in general is they compress the music so much in production for loudness that it takes out some of the dynamics. Which is why listening to this type of music wouldn't be to great through a very analytical/detail oriented headphone because it would show the production woes. 

Audible clipping is worse than just a general lack of dynamics. "Rise Of The Tyrant" for example is brickwalled, but still sounds worse than other similarly squashed albums because there's so much clipping. The more fidelity you have from your speakers or headphones, the worse it'll be. Keep in mind that a lack of dynamic compression doesn't guarantee you a great sounding record. "Justice For All" is case in point. It was recorded well before the loudness war started, and there's no dynamic squashing of any kind. It's just a bad recording/mix. The drums sound like crap, and the bass was mixed completely out. Newstead shouldn't have even bothered to show up for his sessions.

When you take a great sounding mix that's brickwalled, like "With Oden On Our Side" and give it back the dynamics (vinyl master) the sound is glorious. More dynamic range always, ALWAYS beats less assuming everything else is equal.

Aug 6, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #6,728 of 29,646
Quote:

Audible clipping is worse than just a general lack of dynamics. "Rise Of The Tyrant" for example is brickwalled, but still sounds worse than other similarly squashed albums because there's so much clipping. The more fidelity you have from your speakers or headphones, the worse it'll be. Keep in mind that a lack of dynamic compression doesn't guarantee you a great sounding record. "Justice For All" is case in point. It was recorded well before the loudness war started, and there's no dynamic squashing of any kind. It's just a bad recording/mix. The drums sound like crap, and the bass was mixed completely out. Newstead shouldn't have even bothered to show up for his sessions.

When you take a great sounding mix that's brickwalled, like "With Oden On Our Side" and give it back the dynamics (vinyl master) the sound is glorious. More dynamic range always, ALWAYS beats less assuming everything else is equal.

Thanks for that. Makes more sense now. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #6,729 of 29,646
Does anyone know if the new Motorhead remasters are clipped/brickwalled? I had downloaded one a while back and it did seem to be a loudness war victim, but I didn't actually check it in audacity.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #6,730 of 29,646
Quote:
Does anyone know if the new Motorhead remasters are clipped/brickwalled? I had downloaded one a while back and it did seem to be a loudness war victim, but I didn't actually check it in audacity.

Most likely. Remasters done in the last 10 years are almost always brickwalled, unless done by an "audiophile" production company like MFSL.

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #6,731 of 29,646
Quote:

Thanks a ton man! I really liked both Aura Noir and especially Nocturnal Breed clips.

Quote:
I guess I'm the only one that loves listening to lo-fi black metal on my HE-500s, lmao.

Heh. So do I. Bad production doesnt bother me no matter how high end gear I use as long as the ****ty sound is part of the charm.

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #6,732 of 29,646

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #6,733 of 29,646

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #6,734 of 29,646

Just out. Sorry for the extra post mayhem?

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #6,735 of 29,646

Users who are viewing this thread

Back